AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing an Axiom QS-2 set to act as my rear channels to go with my Diva 4.1's/C3/R3's setup. Diva does not make a small rear channel that is easily wall mountable. The Axiom's come in "cherry" which might be a close match to the Diva "rosewood". Anyone with Axiom experience out there ? Any Axiom opinions?

·
Registered
674 Posts
You are going to need speakers that are timbre matched, man....

I think some of the people from ********** did actually talk about some other speaker companies (not them or axiom) that made speakesr with close properties to theirs... I think it was for in-wall use, or something?

Why not call the people at **********, and talk about placement *in general*?

They should be able to help! You may not need to go with another brand, and if you do, they should have a few suggestions for what is timbre matched.....

Disclaimer: My info is hearsay.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that timbre matching only was important for the front and center channels. My Lexicon Logic 7 send most information to the Diva R3 side channels, these of course match the fronts and center. With Logic 7 I get only minimal informaton in the rear speakers. So I didnt consider that timbre matching was important for them. As long as the other 5 speakers match, I dont see the problem.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Can you give us a pic of the rear of your room so we can see what's going on here? :)

Personally, the differences between Axiom and Diva are great enough that I could probably tell. That's just a guess though as I've never hooked up any as rears. I've never heard and 7 channel stuff, so if they are as dormant as you say, it might not be a problem at all. Which model were you looking at? M3Ti?

Sean

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Axiom QS-2 very small. Space is limited, max size 9x9x9 speaker. Mounted in corners of room near ceiling. Currently KLH cubes occupy this space, but they are not fitting in with the "wood" look of the Diva's. Picutures in Picture Gallery under my ID. But attached here are the KLH's as ugly as they are.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
*shudders* at the teeny tiny speaker.

Dude, do you WAF to deal with? If not you certainly could mount the 2.1s up there.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No WAF factor. I just think the 2.1's are far to big and heavy to put on the wall, It would look stupid if you ask me. Since almost nothing comes out of the rear speakers in a 7.1 setup, why do they need to be big?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It's not that I think they must be big, but to keep it all the same that is what you are going to have to do.

With all that gear in your (I presume) living room, two extra speakers will look silly on the wall? Naaahh..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Whoa...just looked at the QS2...they aren't direct radiators...if you've got R3s on the sides, I think a direct speaker would be best...but that is going from advise I've seen given here at the forum.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually the QS-2 claims to be Quadrapole and radiate from 4 directions. Just cant find a direct radiator that is small enough, good looking enough, and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
You are going to need speakers that are timbre matched, man....

I think some of the people from ********** did actually talk about some other speaker companies (not them or axiom) that made speakesr with close properties to theirs... I think it was for in-wall use, or something?
What Gluegun is referring to are the speakers made by atlantic technology . The only problem is that they don't come in wood finishes

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO interest in DVD-A or SACD, my main interest is 7.1 (Logic 7) Home theatre sound. Almost never listen to music any more. I am from the old 70's rock school, I believe no decent music has been recorded in over 20 years, with few rare exceptions. JUst have my movies to entertaine me now.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Turning on the radio, that's the impression I get too farscape. Leave the radio off and you will find that plenty of good music is out there. You just have to use the tools of the 'net to find it...

sean

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I would beg to differ on the amount of the soundtrack that Logic 7 steers towards the center rears. I just replaced a pair of AT 274's with the Axioms QS8.....WOW, I too thought there wasn't much coming of the rears, until the QS8's exposed a whole lot of info in the rears in both 5.1 logic 7 mode and TV matrix steering of the soundtracks. I didn't change the placement of the speakers (used the same brackets), but switched the speakers.

I can't comment on how the Axioms would sound matched with the Diva's. Also, you might want to do a search to find out more about Axioms and check their message board on their web site...it's full of info too!

Good Luck

Ron

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assume you meant that the Quadrapole design of the Axiom's brought out the ability to hear sounds that you were unable to hear with direct reflecting rear speakers? So there is something going on back there, that I am just missing? This could be interesting, I didnt expect that.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Farscape66:

Bottomline.. yes. The AT 274 is a dipole and I too assumed that not much info was being steered and/or produced by the speaker. But when I hooked up the Axiom's...they produced a very active soundstage in the center rears....nothing else had changed from the settings on my MC-1 or speaker placement. The only thing was the speakers. A very audible difference that I hear in both DVD soundtracks and sat. TV broadcasts.

Ron

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I am convinced, I will place an order for the Axiom's today. Maybe I too wii hear what I have been missing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good Luck.....I dont think you are making a mistake....I havent read anything bad about the company and their product.....Only good things....When you can talk to the owner (Ian) themself, it really means alot as a consumer.....Be sure to tell us what you think about them. I plan on ordering QS4's once my construction is finished and I have a place for them to reside :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just ordered the QS4's. Wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.