AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM NEW TO THE WHOLE SURROUND SOUND DEAL IV JUST PURCHASED A PROJECTOR AND AM THINKING ABOUT THE BOSE LIFESTYLE 35 SYSTEM FOR SOUND IT RUNS 3 GRAND IS THERE A BETTER SYSTEM FOR THE MONEY OR BETTER YET LESS MONEY

·
Registered
85 Posts
*sigh* i'll make it short and quick.

Bose in the audio world is generally regarded as quite a ripoff. For the same price you could get a MUCH better system, and I'd venture on to guess that for about $1000 you could get a better system too.

Read some of the posts in the forum regarding Bose and other speakers, and you'll begin to see what I"m talking about.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good advice...Search the forum for Bose...Somewhere, there is a thread with a link to website that has extensive information on the Bose...very enlightening...

I have a neighbor who paid approximately $3500 for a lifestyle system and was "extremely happy" until he came over.

I own a CHEAP Onkyo 575x(low power), and the Swan Diva's (hard speakers to drive)..Not the optimal combination.

I threw in an SVS subwoofer, the 20-39...

Total cost:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Bose is total junk. I read a review on it once, it I could find the link I'd give it to you but, basically it showed that the build quality was absolutely horrible. They used the cheapest materials possible, the speaker designs where the bad, the speaker drivers were also very cheap. They used plastic instead of some sortof wood or fiberboard. the only time they did use fiberboard was for their "bass module" which isn't even a subwoofer, they used the cheapest kind available which is low density fiberboard or LDF. I believe the are the only company that uses such cheap materials, most companies use at least MDF "medium density fiberboard" for speaker boxes. The frequency response was horrible the speakers cut out at about 11-12kHz instead of 20kHz like other speakers, also the had no bass or mid bass at all I think when S&V reviewed one of their systems the freq response was 11-12kHz at -3dB and the low end ended at like 230Hz at-10dB!! Now this is the only time I've seen freq response go to -10dB normally it's -3dB. This is just horrible, most speakers go to at least 100Hz. So in the bass there is this huge gap where there is nothing being played because speakers don't go low enough.

Maybe someone else can give you the link but it's pretty funny. They just use great marketing to convince people that it's high quality. A lot of women like BOSE because they are so small and you can hide them and won't ruin the look of the room. So they make their husbands buy them. You'll notice that they advertise that you can hide them and how small they are. The speakers of just to small to get any bass and to big to get any treble. Their "bass module" use 6" drivers while the smallest subwwofer you'll see is 10", their are exceptions but for the most part that's the smallest it gets.

Yes you can do much better than bose for $3000,you can do better than bose for $500.

Daniel Smith

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I forgot I started that thread...I remember that link..forwarded it my buddy, who then headed off to India for year...

he WILL be coming over in January.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought my B&W's from a place that also had Bose. But by had I mean they carried one pair (the big floor standing ones) that was torn apart to show what a complete peice of crap it was.

If you're looking for a really great sounding alarm clock though, whoa boy!;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a lifestyle 12 series 1 system back in 1995 for $2000. I am about to scrap it in favor of a pair of Mackie HR824s and a Parasound PLD-1100. Let me tell you about my observations and why I held on to it for this long. First of all, the one reason I held on to it for this long is because I connected a BBE 462 sonic maximizer between the music center and the bass module. Man, did that 462 ever supercharge the lifestyle 12. It was a whole new ball game. It sounded quite good. However, if you don't have a BBE unit, and you set the treble control to its flat (center) position, you might as well shoot yourself, yuck. The bass was enhanced by the 462, but without it, the bass was boomy, sloppy, and weak. I also noticed the hole in output at the crossover point, and the bass module's location was easily heard. It was like I was hearing either the satellites or the bass module separately. I also recently "upgraded" the satellites to bose's "Jewel" cubes that were part of the even more expensive systems by about $1000 dollars and used on the $3000 lifestyle 35 system. To tell you the truth, they sounded pretty much the same as the regular cube satellites from 1995. Not worth a $1000 dollars, but they only cost me about $100 after I sold the original cubes. Your 3 grand may be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Billbonkers, what exactly is the BBE 462 that you speak of? (and i will do a search after this post)

My father purchased a Lifestyle 8 (i think, lower model) in 1992 for about $700 (very cheap). It was completely new, and it was our first venture into audio. We still have the system lying around, however, we never use it anymore. Don't think we're going to sell it, as we have 3 HT rooms and 1 will need an okay setup, and I doubt he wants to bother getting a 3rd receiver with 3rd set of speakers, but if what you say is true I'll tell him to look up the sonic maximizer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
NewSc2, The BBE sonic maximizer is used in pro and semi-pro installations. Go to bbesound.com to learn more. These units are all over eBay. The newer model is the 482. The way I connected it was between the fixed output of the music center and the input of the bass module. It works on every source as everything has to go through the sonic maximizer on its way to the bass module and surround decoder. This is the only way to fly.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I know it has been covered already in this post, but I have to agree;

BOSE SUCKS.............................IT'S OVERPRICED..................BUILD QUALITY IS SECOND RATE.

Bose preys on the uneducated consumer. They have great marketing and their small size/big sound (blah, blah) suckers consumers into thinking they are so far advanced with their technology.

It's a Sham.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edkotch
If you're looking for a really great sounding alarm clock though, whoa boy!;)
Okay, I stumbled on this thread researching a gift for my husband.

He *does* want a great sounding alarm clock.

More specifically, he hates his current clock/radio. It's a cheapie ($30) Phillips/Michael Graves machine from Target. It drives us crazy because when it's turned OFF it will play whatever station it's on very faintly and crackly and the only way to fix this is to turn it on and off again.

When asked what he wanted for Christmas, he said a Gamecube, a Bose Wave Radio, or speakers. His inlaws are getting him the Gamecube and I don't feel like I can make a good choice on speakers without him (we're also moving soon and I'd like to be familiar with the layout of our new place before making a choice like that).

So my question is: is the Bose Wave Radio *really* worth it? $500 (for the one with the CD player) is a LOT of money, especially for an alarm clock. On the one hand, a part of me feel like I ought to just go to the Good Guys and pick out something else, but another part of me feels like if he opened up his gift and found it was some other brand, he'd be kind of disappointed. How does the sound quality *really* compare with comparable products (I wouldn't even begin to compare it to a full stereo setup because that's absurd)? Is it on any level worth it or should I just buy him a sweater?

Sorry, I know I'm going off-topic a bit, but I really would appreciate honest opinions here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The waveradio is nice for an alarm clock/table radio; i've heard it in a few friend's houses and have been reasonably impressed. Personally, i'd take a cambridge soundworks modell 88 over the waveradio, it costs a little less and i think it sounds better.

Check it out here:
http://www.hifi.com/store_staging/ca...gory=aud_radio

Omar Bose was one helluva marketer and deserves tons of respect for that, but the products are not for audiophiles or value shoppers.

I was in a circuit city one time and listened to a speaker demonstration. They had a big screen setup with large-looking speakers on either side and played a few clips. I'm thinking to myself "boy, this sounds a bit weak for such big speakers...", then they take off the grilles to show little bose boxes masquerading as big towers. Of course they're saying "can you believe how much sound came out of these little speakers?" LOL!

·
Registered
550 Posts
As they say, if there are no highs and no lows...then it's Bose. The Wave Radio sounds decent. I agree Model 88 sounds better at a better price but I think it's ugly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would use the analogy it is like that "box wine" you find in the supermarket, except its priced like a good Mondavi but taste like what you would expect coming out of a box!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FLIP1335
IM NEW TO THE WHOLE SURROUND SOUND DEAL IV JUST PURCHASED A PROJECTOR AND AM THINKING ABOUT THE BOSE LIFESTYLE 35 SYSTEM FOR SOUND IT RUNS 3 GRAND IS THERE A BETTER SYSTEM FOR THE MONEY OR BETTER YET LESS MONEY
APPARENTLY EVEN THINKING ABOUT BOSE EQUIPMENT MAKES YOU HARD OF HEARING :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.