AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call and ask for them to send you a link to a product description. I know the link to the original definitely had Vortex and 1080i inputs.

I don't share your paranoia on this one. Dell represented the product as LT150, not LT150B or LT150Special or whatever. They wouldn't do this unless it was an LT150 as listed that comes normal from manufacturing as described on the NEC website.

--Les

·
Registered
280 Posts
Les:

I have all of our HT projector websites bookmarked and visit often. I still haven't found a tech who can dish out specs about his own product the way I can (since I'm obsessed and he's just earning a living). As of this hour there is no change in the NEC 150 specs. But it also looks like they haven't updated the webpage lately.

Oh, I'm MOSTLY kidding about the paranoia, but I thought the idea was worth bringing up. There is so much about this Dell pricing that makes no sense.

But I did think of another possible explanation, which makes a lot of practical sense. Most of us in the AV camp have no idea how UN-popular this projector may be for business use. With 800 lumens and no zoom, I would guess that it has been rejected by a lot of Powerpoint folks. This rejection theory would also explain the astonishing drop in MSRP. The 155, for example, has scarcely budged in price; but it is a much better presentation projector. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Dell price were in fact a grand lower than they intended, but when NEC found out that we video maniacs wanted the projector so badly, that they just decided to work with Dell and clear out the warehouse?

I really don't care, as long as I GET MINE and it's the REAL THING! :)

Mike

P.S. If NEC WERE to unload "gutted" 150's on Dell for this maniac sale, Dell would be real loser. They have a 30-day, no-restocking-fee return policy.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Don't panic!! I just received another Lt150 last Wednesday and it has the same super picture that my old one has. I tested everything and domonstrated it to a "guest" just yesterday.

If you get your LT150 for the "Dell" price I think you will be extremely happy with both the projector and your savings!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
280 Posts
In the long LT150 price drop thread started by BBQ, Mr. Watchformore reported this about his Dell order:

"They informed me that the manufacturer had lowered the price on the LT150 and that had caused Dell's number for the part to change which is why my order had hung up.

Total price: $1530.45."

LOWERED the price? Are you kidding, Mr. Watchformore? If not, then I'm REALLY confused and also growing paranoid. Since I am now certifiably insane over this Dell business anyway, here is a nasty theory (with recent actual precedent) to consider: When NEC dropped the MSRP on the 150 from $5999 to $3299, did they remove the Vortex technology and HDTV capability without telling anyone? This change would simply make the projector THE SAME AS ITS CLONES, which have been selling around $2K. Think about what happened to the Infocus LP340. Remember, EVERY manufacturer reserves "the right to change specifications without notice." (I asked an NEC tech about this, and he claimed that the projector specs did not change after the price drop. But we have been given inaccurate info by techs before, so...)

If you have seen both PRE- and POST-price drop 150's, please reply. Are they the same? This information would also be of interest to Alan's customers, especially if they are looking at their new projectors and asking themselves, What is so special? If you have a PROPER, ORIGINAL LT150 and are feeding it progressive or HTPC, you will KNOW what is special in TEN SECONDS. If not, then...

What should have been a simple price correction by Dell, an apology, and a cancellation of orders has turned into something SURREAL

Mike

·
Registered
873 Posts
A potential explanation for the Dell price drop is that they have no inventory, and so price drops of the manufacturer are immediately reflected in their price. Other retailers surely have existing stock they purchased at higher price.

Kelly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.