AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to this so bear with me.

I'm wondering if the extra cost associated with the Denon 790 over the 590 is worth it? I have read the differences in the 590/790 owners thread and the major difference seems to be the video scaling but I'm just looking for someone to tell be if it's really worth it.

I watch all ripped movies and DVD's from my computer via HDMI and will be adding a digital audio out. I would assume that my computer already scales the video anyway since it puts out 1080p resolution. I don't think I'd be able to take advantage of the 7.1, I just don't have anywhere to put the rear speakers. Presently I wouldn't need the extra HDMI input as I'm only using 2 right now.

Also is it hard/expensive to up grade the 590 to 6.1/7.1 with PLIIx? I have no idea what that is.

My display is a Samsung LN40A530 if that matters at all.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My Yamaha RX-V3900 does really help with cable.

For DVD you just need a good deinterlacer to go from interlaced to progressive. Some players probably have their own suitable deinterlacer. If not your TVs deinterlacer might work fine ( my Pannys deinterlacer seems to work fine.)

For HD sources, no video processing is needed. Scaling is likely pointless in some cases. Your TV is going to scale almost anything coming into it. Even 1080, if you can't or don't have it set to not overscan ( see the stickied AVR FAQ.)

A 7.1 receiver will always have the DPL IIx decoder. If you hook up rear surround speakers you can play back 2.0/5.1 in 7.1. There is some minor limitation if only one speaker is connected which I always forget ( DPL IIx music only when playing 5.1 maybe.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts