AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've decided to go with Hitachi, I need to decide if I want the UWX or the SWX model. Luckily the local store has both for me to compare, though the SWX is a 51" and the UWX is a 57". However, I can still get the 57" UWX for $200 less than the 51" SWX (comparing retail price).

In viewing the sets in the store, I really didn't see much of a difference. The SWX actually had something wrong with the component input, jumbling their 1080i signal, but I've seen it before and it was what caught my attention in the store. However the UWX this time looked really great with the 1080i feed as well. The SWX was only able to display a DVD.

So....the question is, what is the practical difference between the UWX and SWX? I plan to get either ISF calibrated if I don't like it after the burn-in.

I'm basically trying to decide between the 57" UWX and the 51" SWX.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
560 Posts
the SWX series have a better CRT design than the UWX series Hitachis. While the UWX sets use the basic round design which was originally designed and intended to be used in a 4:3 set, the SWX sets have a oval shaped CRTs that are optimized for todays 16:9 widescreen sets. While the difference may be negligable at first viewing on a 51 in set, it would be pretty evident on a larger (57") screen.

I own a 51gwx20b, which is basically a 51UWX20b with the SWX's protective screen. At first I did not notice nor care about what shape the CRTs were in my set, but now I can clearly see the degredation in focus on the edges of my screen. If I had to do it all over I would have waited a few months and purchased the SWX for that reason alone. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hitachi, but I just know the SWX is superior.

In a nutshell, go with the 51swx20b.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I chose the 51uwx over the 51swx because it was approx $600 cheaper. That allowed me to get my HD STB within my budget. The image on the swx is sharper, particularly in the corners, and if I had planned on spending more I would have bought it. But as it stands, I've gone from an old 27" analog TV to a spiffy new 51" HDTV, so I'm plenty happy and I don't regret the uwx decision a bit.

Everyone's situation is different and if your the type who won't be happy with 2nd best maybe the swx is for you.

Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with Reflex-Arc, the SWX, TWX, and XWX series are superior to the UWX and GWX series. I am very happy with my 51SWX20B. Picture quality is excellent. I also agree with Chris, that if you cannot afford the higher series sets, then the UWX or GWX sets will serve you well.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
CRT's baby...
http://www.hitachi.com/tv/discover/t...d_proj02.shtml

It's in the CRT's...

Hitachi SWX CRT's are 20% brighter and sharper with 17% better Contrast than the UWX model CRT's....

That's a difference worth paying for....Let me start with the new HD-WIDENECK CRT's. These tubes are manufactured by Hitachi and have been redesigned for optimum performance in its 16X9 projectors, with 17% greater useable area. Other improvements include a narrower tube funnel (29.1mm) for greater deflection control, and a 36.5mm neck for a significantly larger electron gun, which increases focus and beam size by and average of 10%. The green CRT has an improved phosphor formulation that is optimized for HDTV. The set is also more resistant to uneven ageing (BURN IN) and reduces burn in. The lenses (also designed and built by Hitachi) are all new, with five larger diameter elements for a 20% improvement in contrast over last years models and a whopping 43% more brightness; they also 30% sharper than the "industry standard lens.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thomas Norton of the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater call the 51SWX the greatest rear production set he had ever reviewed. He also mentioned that the real magic of this unit only emerges after it has been calibrated, which might be the reason so many report seeing no difference on the sales floor between UWX models and their SWX counterparts. The difference apparently becomes much more clear after proper tweaking. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mfusick,

Thanks for that info! That's just what I was wanting to hear....I'll definitely be going with the SWX.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.