AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an offer fr dish to upgrade to the 811 (the supervisor that i spoke to said that i couldn't make a choice of rec'r. i had asked him if i could. you get what they have available. i got the impression that it would most likely be the 811) . $50 upfront, $5 lease per month, plus 15 hd channels for $15 per month. it seems cheap enough, but i dont want aggravation w this rec'r. i've read all the posts on the 811 and it seems like it can be a pain in the neck. problems like rebooting, losing channnel guide, etc. i'm not going over the air for networks as i live 65 mi from a tower. i really just want reliability and to just watch tv. any guidance that can be given will be very much appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've had a Dish 811 for a little over a year. It's performance has improved over that time, which I assume is due to software updates. It used to reboot once every other day or freeze while changing channels on OTA, but it rarely does that now. In fact, I can't remember the last time it froze or rebooted. Also, I know a Dish programmer here in Denver (home of D*) and he does work on the 811. I have reported problems to him in the past and usually he already knows about them. One thing I did learn from him is that the program guide will not load unless the receiver is turned off. That was an easy fix. Anyway, bottom line, I think it still has a few kinks but overall I'm very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
ocd....

You understand the 811 will NOT receive MPEG-4 material when E* finally gets to providing it....That's why I upgraded to one of the new 211/411 MPEG2/4 units (it's supposed to arrive here next Tuesday....).

Don't let the CSR steer you astray....the 411 receivers ARE out there....just not in all areas yet. If you're looking to stay current, I'd try like anything to get one of the new units NOW....and avoid the "I'm sorry....we're backordered to July....."B/S!! ;)

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.