AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi folks, pretty much a noob here. Understand the concepts, but not up on equipment at all.

I'd like to set up a projector in my main living space, but the room has some ambient light issues. The living, dining, and kitchen are all one big linear space with tall windows on the East wall of the living room and West wall of the kitchen. I plan to hang a screen from the ceiling of the living space on a 45 degree angle facing the NorthEast corner.

The windows all have wooden blinds, which darken down the room during the day, but definitely do not black it out. I can put black-out curtains on the windows for zoning in on movies, but bottom line is that I'd also like to be able to watch ball games on it in the afternoon without having to shut both ends of the space down.

Is there a projector/screen combo that can handle this kind of setup? I like what I'm reading about the DLA-X35 (especially the black levels for sci-fi movies), but I'm wondering if it's going to get totally washed out if the blinds are open in the afternoon. I'd really rather have a projector, but I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off with a big flat panel?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Projectors are for dark rooms. They do not project black! They project LIGHT. So, if you have light in a room the X35 is a lousy choice. It's best in a better theater, not in a family room. I would get a flat panel TV and put the projector into a room that can really make use of it.

If you do go with a projector in your family room, get a family room projector, not a theater projector like the JVC. The Optoma HD25 or the BenQ W1070 are excellent choices for this type of setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts