AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read countless threads... online reviews etc... but I must ask the question

Key info

Room will have very little light 1 window will be tinted, blocked, drapes then Screen

I will mostly be watching movies and sports with some xbox action

1080p is a must have

The room is my "man room" over my garage its aprox 17x 15

I am planning on ceiling mounting the PJ I can mount it up to 16 feet from the screen but no more

I wanted to go with a 120inch screen and have the seating aprox 12feet from the screen *ive done the online calculators but still don't really "get it"

I know there is a $100 MIR on these units until the 28th so Ill pull the trigger by then

Basically I just wanna make sure that there isnt something out there that I have yet to discover that will be better for me at the same price level..

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsRFun /forum/post/18153049

Ive read countless threads... online reviews etc... but I must ask the question

Key info

Room will have very little light 1 window will be tinted, blocked, drapes then Screen

I will mostly be watching movies and sports with some xbox action

1080p is a must have

The room is my "man room" over my garage its aprox 17x 15

I am planning on ceiling mounting the PJ I can mount it up to 16 feet from the screen but no more

I wanted to go with a 120inch screen and have the seating aprox 12feet from the screen *ive done the online calculators but still don't really "get it"

I know there is a $100 MIR on these units until the 28th so Ill pull the trigger by then

Basically I just wanna make sure that there isnt something out there that I have yet to discover that will be better for me at the same price level..

For me, the main competitor I looked at was the Mitsubishi HC3000. I could not get the projector because of the lens offset. I needed the placement flexibility of the Epson. Overall, I do prefer the look of DLP over LCD, but I am happy with the 8100. There are some issues being reported in the 3800 thread regarding random shutdowns, but I don't know what the percentage really is. All models have their issues.

It really comes down to what will work in your room. In a light controlled room, either should be bright enough. Try to stay on the closer end of the throw distance needed to get the screen size you want. You will need to consider the offset of the 3800 and see if that is an issue for you.

Lens shift is a great feature of the 8100. It makes setup VERY easy and it has a greater zoom range. The 8100 also has a full color management menu...the Mits. might as well, I just don't know. The Epson has brighter "daytime" modes with better color in those modes than the mits. Those might be useful for sports or games. In Theater mode, they are about the same brightness. The Epson has a longer bulb life and 2 year warranty.....the mits might have 2 as well. The mits might be a litter sharper and more "film-like" due to the single chip DLP light engine. You can read reviews of both at Projectorreviews.com and also read the respective threads here.

IF either one will work in your space, then you really can't go wrong with either. Just read up and buy from a place you can return it if you are not happy.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spent way too much time thinking through this decision.... I went with the 8100, but am still questioning my decision.... Great projector but is it better, then say the Mitsu who knows ?

1. If you need placement flexibility or zoom then the 8100 is your pick.

2. Go look at DLP OptomaHD20 or Mitsu 3800.....if you can see rainbow effect then 8100 is your pick.

3. If your still ok to look at DLP, see if you can find somewhere to compare DLP vs. LCD in person.... (tough to find exact projectors in same place). Compare....... if you have strong preference go with that technology.

4. If 3 was too close to call then, go for price.... i think the Mitsu has a free extrabulb at this time...... so the value is pretty good.

The only other thing I would mention is that the 8100 is a really big projector.... the thing is massive. That may be a consideration as well..... when I went to mount my projector in the ceiling I wanted to mount to a joist because of teh weight.... I don't think I would have worried about that with the DLP projectors, much smaller and lighter.

Having said all of above, the 8100 has a great picture and I'm really happy with it. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They are both great pj's. I have seen both. I went with the 8100 because it is actually bright enough to have a good image in a relatively bright room. I have alot of people over to watch sporting events. You will also once you have a new PJ. For some reason everybody wants to watch the game at your house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.