AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that these were on sale right now. I am looking to add to my office setup (some Insignia bookshelves NS-B2111 with a Behringer A500 amp) to have a little more balance. The use would be strictly music (mostly country, orchestral soundtracks, and rock/pop) and I'd probably do a simple sealed enclosure, maybe even two. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
WTF does 'musical' mean in relation to a sub? Or just about any other replay gear for that matter?

It's one of those airy fairy expressions that mean whatever the listener chooses it to mean and that will of course vary vast amounts between individuals.

The Anarchy is by all reports an excellent small driver. The Voice Coil measurements of it were excellent and imlenented well into a design that fits your parameters it will be excellent.

·
Premium Member
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20814308

WTF does 'musical' mean in relation to a sub? Or just about any other replay gear for that matter?

It's one of those airy fairy expressions that mean whatever the listener chooses it to mean and that will of course vary vast amounts between individuals.

The Anarchy is by all reports an excellent small driver. The Voice Coil measurements of it were excellent and imlenented well into a design that fits your parameters it will be excellent.

perhaps a sub that has a nice bump in the 35-50hz range? a small tuned enclosure should suffice, how big are you willing to go on the box?

A9, love the sig btw...

·
Registered
9,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/20814338

perhaps a sub that has a nice bump in the 35-50hz range?

Those bumps usually come from a high Q which rings out, sort of my definition of how subs came to get a bad reputation amongst 2ch listeners.
Quote:

a small tuned enclosure should suffice, how big are you willing to go on the box?

I'd agree, but a well designed ported would also be OK.

It's a good driver, put it in an enclosure that suits what you need, in this case I'd guess 40Hz to get the bottom of the bass guitar, and you're larfing.

Quote:

A9, love the sig btw...

Cheers, I'd forgotten I'd added that. There is a long back story behind it that doesn't translate well to text, but is funny over a few beers.

·
Premium Member
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20814408

Those bumps usually come from a high Q which rings out, sort of my definition of how subs came to get a bad reputation amongst 2ch listeners. I'd agree, but a well designed ported would also be OK.

I meant ported in the first place. sorry for the confusion

It's a good driver, put it in an enclosure that suits what you need, in this case I'd guess 40Hz to get the bottom of the bass guitar, and you're larfing.

an excellent place to start and wont have to go rediculously large to achieve

Cheers, I'd forgotten I'd added that. There is a long back story behind it that doesn't translate well to text, but is funny over a few beers.

I believe it. is it 5:00 over there yet? haha

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio
I believe it. is it 5:00 over there yet? haha
It was 6am when you posted. But no beers yet.

Back to OP. a 20L net enclosure will allow for a 37Hz tune and a flat FR, and with a 5cm Φ port 17cm long. At full power port airspeed is too high, but in a nearfield application this would be a resonable compromise as full power is ~105dB or LOUD.

With EQ available to adjust to the desired response, sealed in anything greater than about 7L net is fine and even without EQ will have a far greater and cleaner output then probably any PC derived sub. F3 will be 70Hz or so but a shallow roll off so will still sound large-ish and deep.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02
a "musical sub" is one that does better on some common distortion dimensions:

http://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klip...ity_Poster.pdf
I'd missed that on my Klippel visits. Nice synopsis.

Quote:
low distortion isn't as important as high spl for space shuttle launch rumbles during movies.
But the application is for music, almost all of which has little content below 40Hz. Or at least it gets big and expensive if you want to reproduce what's there loud and clean.

Quote:
maybe that is what he is trying to get at but doesn't have the right vocabulary?
It might well, but it is such a vague expression, that it could mean anything to anyone, like "pretty blue".

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20814308

I apologize for being vague; I should have known better in the DIY forum. My only requirements are for a sub to pick up the duties my bookshelves cannot, and to do so cleanly like LTD02 mentioned. My definition of musical, is clean (read low distortion), controlled (not boomy with echo), audible bass. I don't need to feel anything like with home theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20815107

But the application is for music, almost all of which has little content below 40Hz. Or at least it gets big and expensive if you want to reproduce what's there loud and clean.

It might well, but it is such a vague expression, that it could mean anything to anyone, like "pretty blue".

This will only be for music. I specified the main type of music I listen to because not every genre has the same common frequency range. I honestly have no idea if most modern country music goes below 40 Hz frequently. I would guess that some songs do and some don't. I would also suspect that most soundtrack music I listen to does go below 40 Hz on occasion. How often? No clue. I've not found a repository for that kind of information on musical genres. I've also not found an audio player that gives me visual feedback for the audio spectrum below 50 Hz.

That said, I imagine a lower limit of ~35 Hz would easily fill all of my needs. In addition, my normal listening volume will not be loud, probably half to 75% of what you would imagine a normal person to listen at. I've not met anyone who listens to music more quietly on average than I. In terms of available space to work with, I could do two 20L subs with no problems.

I asked about the Anarchy because I've not seen anyone use them for 100% music application. I did see the taped horn using the Anarchy and read the claims that it was good for music, but I don't know what "good" means. If there are better drivers out there for my application, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
It's a good clean driver with excellent linearity, the 20L size (remember that's net, so the internal volume will be 20L +driver volume + port volume) will suit considering your SPL and LF requirements. I personally prefer ported speakers with the speaker raised slightly and the port down firing but it's not critical.

The tune I've suggested is flat so no boom. Dunno what echo means wrt a sub, so I can't comment on that. the TH would also likely fit your requirements too, so it depends on what way you want to go.

In small drivers there are some Tang band subs that are supposedly OK.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
These little guys are the bomb, i used them in a dual anarchy horn sub and it kicks butt !!!!!

I bet you could do a nice little sealed sub for close proximity use and it would rock, get two, their on sale, i paid full price

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.