AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read where the MSRP of Panny plasmas will be reduced at the end of August. IS this really going to happen, and if so, how much do you think they will drop?

·
Registered
204 Posts
We will all know for sure at the end of the month. :) :) :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't pretend to know, but I have noticed that the low-price Internet sites have dropped their prices on the 50px50 and 50px500 by over 10% the past few weeks. Maybe this is a sign that they are, or are anticipating, getting lower wholesale costs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The retail stores seem to be dropping their prices by a fair amount, no where near what people have been talking about, but what I think to be more realistic price drops. I'm thinking the discounts are already here, but I'm still waiting until the end of the month to buy a 42pwd8uk. I can only hope I'm wrong :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was at Advance in Winnipeg. The owner was talking to a salesman, and they said the 42" Panny ED was droping $500 CDN Sept 1 2005.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizpot
I was at Advance in Winnipeg. The owner was talking to a salesman, and they said the 42" Panny ED was droping $500 CDN Sept 1 2005.
Did you hear something about the 42PX50 ? I'm planning to buy it on Sept 1st but I wasn't sure if the price drop was only for the US. (I'm in Montreal.)

Thx

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
All of my accounts have told me that Aug 28 is the price drop day. Plasma is set to attempt to kill DLP RP.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
All of my accounts have told me that Aug 28 is the price drop day. Plasma is set to attempt to kill DLP RP.
did they say how much of a drop? we've heard 500 or 1000 for the hd units...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
did they say how much of a drop? we've heard 500 or 1000 for the hd units...
If they drop that much, the dlp and and lcd's rear projection's of the world are in big trouble. I'm on the fence at the moment, but if they do drop in a few weeks, my decision is made.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I say buy now at CC; get the $300 rebate. Then get the price match ($500-1000) after 8/28-9/1 and then mail in the $300 rebate. Best deal now with the CC price match!

A 5 day day proud owner of a Px50u here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi all. I'm ready for a Panny plasma. Most likely the TH-37PHD8UK, or 42.

2-4 weeks to wait to get it right sounds like. 8U's have new glass, new stand, new blades, etc. so seems like the one. :)

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trw005
Hi all. I'm ready for a Panny plasma. Most likely the TH-37PHD8UK, or 42.

2-4 weeks to wait to get it right sounds like. 8U's have new glass, new stand, new blades, etc. so seems like the one. :)
Do you have any links on PHD8UK? I'm considering the Panny TH-42PHD7UY. You are talking about the HD not EDTV right?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yup the PHD is the HD and the PWD is the ED. The ED is available but no HD yet i can find. Visualapex link at top of page has a color pdf.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wonder if the price drop has already happened. J & R and Frys are selling the 50u well under MSRP.

Check todays AD.

·
Registered
589 Posts
it hasn't. there have been places selling them for less than 4k for awhile. some places dropped their prices by a couple hundred recently, we think it might be a move that's in anticipation of the official drop

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
When and at what price point do you guys think MSRP's will stabilize for 50" consumer plasmas?

$2000 for 768p and $3000 for 1080p?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think we're more likely to see basic 50" plasmas stabalize at the $1,200 - $1,400 range at 768p. This level will still take a few years. I think you'll see second tier brands get to $999. Of course, the companies will continue to introduce "must have" features that will jack up the prices for newer models. It already seems like Panasonic is pursuing the "commodity" segment, or the price point for the masses. Pioneer looks determined to stake out the premium price point. They'll try to become the "Sony" of plasmas - capture both large market share and a price premium. Expect 42" sets to get down to $600-$700 for basic models, around $999 for a well-equipped Panny. Again, second tier players will get to $499.

It's tough to know on the 1080p because those factory lines aren't built en masse yet.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd2none06
I say buy now at CC; get the $300 rebate. Then get the price match ($500-1000) after 8/28-9/1 and then mail in the $300 rebate. Best deal now with the CC price match!

I'd have to agree. Or try and get BB to beat CC's price and then price match if they come down further on/after the 28th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed hoping the price drop is passed down to the consumers. I don't think I can wait another month without a new TV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd2none06

Sounds like a good deal, but from what I've heard the price match is always after the rebate price.

If the price drops do happen and lets suppose that they are equal to that of CC's current rebate deal. Well, the person that waits until the price drop will only have to pay the discounted price, with no rebates to deal with. I want to try to avoid spending the money up front and waiting 10 weeks for my rebate check.

I know this is a small issue, but worth a 10 day wait to me.

Of course, there is always the possibility that the price drops wont occur and that those who waited until the 28th will have missed out on a great deal. :)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.