AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Mitsubishi 65737 DLP TV. I am interested in Calibrating the device myself with actual equipment rather than just the DVE Blu ray. Since I am doing this strictly for myself and any TV's I end up owning, I am just looking for a decent device to calibrate with that is low priced. It seems the Eye-One LT is an option for me, but I wanted to check if there is anything else in that price range that is a good or better choice.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfetaz /forum/post/19637959

I currently have Mitsubishi 65737 DLP TV. I am interested in Calibrating the device myself with actual equipment rather than just the DVE Blu ray. Since I am doing this strictly for myself and any TV's I end up owning, I am just looking for a decent device to calibrate with that is low priced. It seems the Eye-One LT is an option for me, but I wanted to check if there is anything else in that price range that is a good or better choice.

A brand new meter that has not drifted can be reasonably accurate but over time the meter can under read red in the grayscale causing the user to compensate by adding too much red into the grayscale. Also, the xy error tolerances for gamut readings can be rather large (up to 0.015-0.020), which means gamut calibration is not worth it for displays that start out with pretty accurate gamuts, only for displays with larger gamut xy errors than that of the meter itself.

If you have the extra money to spend, I would get a i1 D2 or DTP-94 with offset tables to increase the accuracy of the instrument for various display types. The PRO versions of the meters are bundled with Chromapure and sold on the CurtPalme site and the X2 and DTP-94 (not entirely sure whether DTP-94 from Spectracal has offset tables for all display types or just LED-LCD) are bundled with CalMAN on the Spectracal site.

Having owned a i1 Display LT with ColorHCFR first and now a X2 with CalMAN, I can say the latter is significantly more accurate across the board (grayscale and gamut) and CalMAN is much nicer software to use compared to ColorHCFR both in terms of features and layouts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I started out with the Eye-One Display LT purchased from Amazon and the free Color HCFR software. Of course I was limited to the inherent error of this meter. This is about the cheapest way to start for someone on a budget. I used this setup for about a year before upgrading to Calman and an enhanced ColorMunki. I now profile the Display LT off of the ColorMunki. For me, it has been as much about the journey in learning as the final result. It took me about a year to get to the point that an upgrade even seemed worth it. The people on this forum have been great in helping me to learn along the way.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i1 Display 2 with HCFR, is pretty accurate...compared to my Chroma 5/Calman setup...but I would spend the extra on the C5/Calman any day over the i1.

I use the C5/Calman setup to calibrate all our 9 Panny 85U plasmas, 3 Sony broadcast CRTs and the 5 TV Logic & 4 Sony broadcast LCDs at work, along with my Sammy 63C590 plasma and 32A450 LCD at home and I am VERY pleased with the results....

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manningtree /forum/post/19646323

Does the i1 Display 2 use different hardware (colorimeter) compared to i1 Display LT? Or is the difference in the bundled software only?

Same hardware, different software.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No, colormunki is a spectroradiometer and create is the software

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I have changed my TV from a Mitsubishi 65737 to the Samsung pn58c7000, getting it in on Thursday. I should ask this question: I only plan on calibrating this single TV at this time. I may in a few years replace it and want to calibrate that display at that time. But it looks like the better calibration equipment costs more than hiring a professional to do it themself. So as a single TV user who only wants to calibrate one device, would it make more sense for both convience, accuracy and price to just hire a pro?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.