AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a camcorder and I'm going nuts with the research. I finally thought I had a selection - the Panasonic HDC TM700 (I can't afford much higher price). Then, I read several horrible reviews about the fan noise! But how come there are so many wonderful reviews about it? Is the fan noise really that bad??

Perhaps I should go with my second choice...the more expensive

Sony Handycam HDR-CX550V...? Any advice from people that have these camcorders??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok - upon further research it looks like I only have to buy a $40 dollar external mic to avoid any noise issues with the fan in the Panasonic model. Can anyone that has worked with this mode verify before I purchase?

Lisa

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azor /forum/post/0

Ok - upon further research it looks like I only have to buy a $40 dollar external mic to avoid any noise issues with the fan in the Panasonic model. Can anyone that has worked with this mode verify before I purchase?

Lisa

I can confirm that the noise from the fan is very faint, and audible ONLY in extremely quiet environements and picked up by the internal microphones. And that by using an external mic (like I do) you can eliminate the noise completely. To give you an idea of the fan noise level, your own breathing with your face near the camcorder (looking in the viewfinder for example) is about as loud as the fan in a completely silent room.

So I would not worry about that. Besides, you don't want to miss out on one of the very best video quality camcorder out right now. I should know, I've been enjoying it for a few months now, and never looked back.

Alain.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azor /forum/post/19546861

Lisa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the response! Love the video! Before I buy this model, I have one potentially stupid question, but...I don't know much about this stuff...so please forgive me:

Can this high resolution video be handled OK by a lower resolution monitor or TV?

Lisa

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The resolution will just drop to the resolution of the TV. Theirs no problem at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for the response! Love the video! Before I buy this model, I have one potentially stupid question, but...I don't know much about this stuff...so please forgive me:

Can this high resolution video be handled OK by a lower resolution monitor or TV?

Lisa

That's not a stupid question at all. No question is ever dumb. The dumb thing would be not to ask them and stay uninformed. And to add to Paulo's answer, if you need to output the video to a regular "old" tv set you can do so with the included composite (RCA type) cables and the resulting lower resolution pictures are still looking quite fantastic. I've even tested recording such material on my trusty old Panasonic S-VHS vtr and it looks stunning still, on my last 20" CRT regular TV.(needed to do that to show my material to my aging father who still has a 36" CRT TV and no HDMI capabilities)

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:

Thanks so much everyone!!! You have been so helpful! I am buying it! :)

On behalf of everyone, you're welcome, Lisa. Have fun! And if you have any other questions, never hesitate to ask, forums like this one are here exactly for that: to help each other out, and exchange opinions and ideas.

Alain.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Does the tv have av input (at least the yellow-white-red) input? The camcorder does not have the single cable coax (rf) output that is the only input some older tv's support. For these tv's, a modulator would be required, or run the signal thru a vcr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts