Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Velodyne HGSII line of subwoofers were a ported or sealed cabinet. Also considering the Sunfire MkIV, but I know that one is sealed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's sealed.

I have a HGS 18 on order and will get it in time for christmas.:D

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lwang, please explain. When I think of 'sealed vs. ported' I think of an opening in a ported speaker that mice could crawl through (or ants), whereas a sealed unit is air-tight. I'm new to this and you seem to not be. So, please explain for all the newbies out there. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
A sealed subwoofer is an acoustic suspension design. Both ported and passive radiator subwoofers fall under the designation of bass reflex systems. Therefore the Sunfires cannot be considered "sealed".

Brian

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang'it. Ok, I guess my next research endeavor is to get a better understanding of passive radiator, but I think I may already have an idea.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If your consideration for not having ported subs is so that your ferret won't climb in and nest there, then the Sunfire would be sealed. But as said, it having a passive radiator would make it act more like a ported sub than a sealed one.

You might be able to put a loose latex seal over the port if you don't want the sub to be infested with dead animals and insects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.