AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting a 605 so I have been reading the official owners thread. A common issue seems to be the heat issue and then popping noise from the speakers.


I'm wondering is this something that is only a 605 problem or do these issues apply to most Onkyo's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
I have the 805 and have never had an issue with that at all. We run a few of the 606 at work all day/everyday and never have an issue with them over heating or popping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts
I don't know if I would classify it a common issue either. You see post here and in other forums. How representative that is of the number sold that never has any related issues we can only guess at but my guess a very small percentage of a very small percentage. I've read Onkyo receivers being tagged as getting warm or hot since the day I started researching electronics. I've own several models and never had any issues relating to heat. They do generate heat as any analog receiver will. Use common since give them proper airflow and if you're sticking them in an less than ideal space use external cooling which is cheap and you shouldn't have any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts
The video processor and the fact their amps come closer to meeting their advertised

spec would probably be the main reason they run warmer also they are one of the

few that will actually print a power spec at 3 ohm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/14202921


I don't know if I would classify it a common issue either. You see post here and in other forums. How representative that is of the number sold that never has any related issues we can only guess at but my guess a very small percentage of a very small percentage. I've read Onkyo receivers being tagged as getting warm or hot since the day I started researching electronics. I've own several models and never had any issues relating to heat. They do generate heat as any analog receiver will. Use common since give them proper airflow and if you're sticking them in an less than ideal space use external cooling which is cheap and you shouldn't have any problems.

I understand what you are saying and most people will come to forums to post problems more than praising so I could be reading that small %. But I have found one to buy locally so I wanted to see how big of a risk I am taking with no return policy or warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forereal /forum/post/14202825


I'm wondering is this something that is only a 605 problem or do these issues apply to most Onkyo's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forereal /forum/post/14203357


I understand what you are saying and most people will come to forums to post problems more than praising so I could be reading that small %. But I have found one to buy locally so I wanted to see how big of a risk I am taking with no return policy or warranty.

I don't know what your paying locally but you can get a refurb from the link below at a very good price with 30 day return policy and warranty. Accessories4less is a authroized dealer and great to deal with I've purchased from them quite a few times.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-BLACK/1.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts
Eddy, your amazon page is getting old and btw did you notice the 5 star rating at the top of the add from the customer reviews? READ EM!!!!!, they are much more insightful than you're creative pairing of products on an web page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/14203510


READ EM!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
All good receivers usually get hot. They have amps in them. Amps get hot no matter what. Look into the car audio scene. Every amp that produces a lot of power gets hot, especially amps inside of a receiver. They are packed in there tight with a very small amount of space. Plain and simple. Give it enough room to breathe or find an amp fan to set on top of it. I just got an Onkyo 705 and with no added cooling it usually runs around 125F. With a set top receiver fan it rarely reaches 110F. So just adding that cheap fan brings it down greatly. Not to mention I only have about 3 inches above it not the 8 inches that Onkyo recommends. Get a fan or make sure it's got lots of space. My last receiver was from a cheap HTIB and it never got hot. Why? Probably because it had cheap, low power amps in it. An amp that produces good, high power is going to get hot, which in turn is going to make your receiver hot. No way around it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/14231099


All good receivers usually get hot. They have amps in them. Amps get hot no matter what. Look into the car audio scene. Every amp that produces a lot of power gets hot, especially amps inside of a receiver. They are packed in there tight with a very small amount of space. Plain and simple. Give it enough room to breathe or find an amp fan to set on top of it. I just got an Onkyo 705 and with no added cooling it usually runs around 125F. With a set top receiver fan it rarely reaches 110F. So just adding that cheap fan brings it down greatly. Not to mention I only have about 3 inches above it not the 8 inches that Onkyo recommends. Get a fan or make sure it's got lots of space. My last receiver was from a cheap HTIB and it never got hot. Why? Probably because it had cheap, low power amps in it. An amp that produces good, high power is going to get hot, which in turn is going to make your receiver hot. No way around it.

BINGO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I like how eddy_winds signature has change to "Yamaha RX-V663 the ONKYO TX-SR605 Killer", rather than the 606 he had before. Guess there wasn't enough wrong with the 606 to put it head to head with the 663, so he switched to last year's hottter, slightly more problematic model. Whatever makes you feel better about the money you spent, I guess. I think I will change my signature to say:


2008 Honda Civic, the Ford Model T killer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts
The problem with cutting down different brands today is tomorrow that same brand

could be the answer to all your needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/14231927


The problem with cutting down different brands today is tomorrow that same brand

could be the answer to all your needs.

Hahaha, this man speaks the truth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
If I crank my Denon 3808 at reference level long enough it gets pretty darn warm. Always have a fan to exhaust the receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisds /forum/post/14231547


I like how eddy_winds signature has change to "Yamaha RX-V663 the ONKYO TX-SR605 Killer", rather than the 606 he had before. Guess there wasn't enough wrong with the 606 to put it head to head with the 663, so he switched to last year's hottter, slightly more problematic model. Whatever makes you feel better about the money you spent, I guess. I think I will change my signature to say:


2008 Honda Civic, the Ford Model T killer!

I wouldn't even consider the 605 problematic. This whole website is basically a technical help forum, as such that is all you're going to hear talk of the most time is problems. Having said that, most electronics have issues when they're new. And throughout the life cycle of a product you see firmware upgrades, and changes in components that may be used inside of a device. You could say that some of the first few months supply of 605s were problematic. But, through firmware and likely slightly changing components used on the inside the later ones that rolled out of the factory are likely fine and dandy.


Just like my 705 or the 805. I see all kinds of old threads where people are complaining about something, then I find a more recent thread and learn that through firmware and hardware revisions things have been fixed. It seems this way with almost all electronics. Just look in the plasma or LCD sections. People complain about HDMI handshaking issues and how some TVs were notorious for it. Usually this is remedied through new firmware or slight hardware changes. So it doesn't necessarily mean those items were problematic.


So people that come on here and knock one brand or the other are usually idiots. Likely the brand/model they are running has all sorts of it's own issues that people on this very website complain about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Glad you like the sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisds /forum/post/14231547


I like how eddy_winds signature has change to "Yamaha RX-V663 the ONKYO TX-SR605 Killer", rather than the 606 he had before. Guess there wasn't enough wrong with the 606 to put it head to head with the 663, so he switched to last year's hottter, slightly more problematic model.

Its never changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-X /forum/post/14159433


show me the money!

Or rather the place where its that cheap!

and WHY might I ask is the reason for the 663 being the tx-sr606 killer?

Would you make that same statement for the tx-sr705

Maybe from the heat. He reads 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/14160720


He has the 663 as the 605 killer, not the 606.

20/20 vision
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top