AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is a sealed room that is between 1500-1600 cubic feet. It is a sealed room, and the sub would be used almost exclusively for home theater. If I corner load the sub in the front of the room, the room has quite a bit of room gain below 35hz. Is one of these subs enough in this room, even at really high volumes, or would I need more?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It is definately enough.

Have one in 3,200 cufeet space...

·
Registered
20,248 Posts
The sound quality and extension would be great, what spl are you looking to achieve? For me it was always about the sound quality first, then extension. Once they are reached in order to get louder add more of the same.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have one in a 1800 cubic foot sealed room and it is enough.

You won't want to corner load it. It goes deep without it, corner loading it makes it boomy.

On another computer I have REW plots of one sub running, I'll post them later if it interests you.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/15593344

The sound quality and extension would be great, what spl are you looking to achieve? For me it was always about the sound quality first, then extension. Once they are reached in order to get louder add more of the same.

I never listen at reference. My typical movie watching is between -15 to -10 below reference. When I am really pushing it, I go to -5 below reference.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15593415

On another computer I have REW plots of one sub running, I'll post them later if it interests you.

That would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I'd guess that at -5dB from reference you'll run into some dynamic compression, but at -10dB from reference you should be fine on all but the hottest bass tracks. If I were you I'd contact Hsu and let them know your room size and listening levels and see what they say. They'll be up front with you and help you find the best solution for your listening needs.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep going back and forth between a good sealed sub like the Hsu and Rythmic or just going with something like the PB13 and just knowing that I will have plenty of headroom in my smaller room. I am not really at all concerned about the size of the SVS, because it is a dedicated theater. The only reason I am considering the sealed sub is the potential of better sound quality. For movies, do you really think I will be able to tell the difference in sound quality between the two?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/15594826

For movies is where the PB13 is likely to have the biggest advantage over the others.

That is what I am thinking, and the direction I am leaning toward. I have read the PB13 compared to other subs, and some have said although it is very musical, it may not have the slam in the upper 40-100hz bass that some others have. I currently have Era D5 speakers, which are pretty decent bass producing bookshelf speakers, but they are bookshelf speakers. They are easily crossed at 80hz, and in fact the Era recommends crossing them over below that (although I don't). Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Don't forget upper bass performance and transient response, which are keys to good integration with quality main speakers.

For movies though, it can be less of a concern.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/15594878

They are easily crossed at 80hz, and in fact the Era recommends crossing them over below that (although I don't). Any thoughts on this?

Do whatever sounds better.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/15594878

That is what I am thinking, and the direction I am leaning toward. I have read the PB13 compared to other subs, and some have said although it is very musical, it may not have the slam in the upper 40-100hz bass that some others have. I currently have Era D5 speakers, which are pretty decent bass producing bookshelf speakers, but they are bookshelf speakers. They are easily crossed at 80hz, and in fact the Era recommends crossing them over below that (although I don't). Any thoughts on this?

There is nothing a 13Ultra doesn't do well. If it lacks slam it is not the Ultra, but is a room problem.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
PB13 is no doubt a good sub.

A HSU's benefit over the PB13:

Wireless

A sub you can move yourself.

A sub you could repackage and return inexpensively if you want.

A smaller overall package, the SVS is 27" deep without grill lets call it 28". Might fit beautifully, might not.

All the above gives you more placement options and the ability to easily test them.

In a 1600 cubic foot room it will blow your hair back.

It cost less.

I believe you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I will add that IMO, the Hsu has better overall transient response and upper bass.

I will say this about the Ultra, it is an excellent subwoofer, the best I heard from SVS and the first I wouldn't mind owning.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15595241

PB13 is no doubt a good sub.

A HSU's benefit over the PB13:

Wireless

A sub you can move yourself.

A sub you could repackage and return inexpensively if you want.

A smaller overall package, the SVS is 27" deep without grill lets call it 28". Might fit beautifully, might not.

All the above gives you more placement options and the ability to easily test them.

In a 1600 cubic foot room it will blow your hair back.

It cost less.

I believe you can't go wrong either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/15595385

I will add that IMO, the Hsu has better overall transient response and upper bass.

I will say this about the Ultra, it is an excellent subwoofer, the best I heard from SVS and the first I wouldn't mind owning.

For all of these reasons, I would prefer the Hsu, but none of them are worth is to me if it doesn't have enough oomph in the low bass when I need it. All indications look I should be fine in my sized room, but I would hate to be dissapointed. Tough call.

By the way, Is the Rythmik F15 similar to the ULS-15, or does the HSU best it?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/15595947

For all of these reasons, I would prefer the Hsu, but none of them are worth is to me if it doesn't have enough oomph in the low bass when I need it. All indications look I should be fine in my sized room, but I would hate to be dissapointed. Tough call.

By the way, Is the Rythmik F15 similar to the ULS-15, or does the HSU best it?

The Rythmik and Hsu are very similar in sound....close call, but I give the edge to the Rythmik, The Hsu has a better finish, and wireless is a great feature.

While I don't think you will have any issue with "oomph", in fact, unless your room has a huge suckout, then I am sure of it, but you would have to deal with that suckout with any sub.

Honestly though, if you are mostly HT, then I would lean more towards the Ultra. As the ratio between music and HT gets closer to even or more music where articulation and transients are more important, the Hsu or Rythmik.

·
Registered
20,248 Posts
I have owned both sealed and ported subs and prefer sealed as long as the SPL is similar. I only watch movies, so quality of the sound is very important as well. As mentioned before transients are much better with my sealed. If you like 100 db's(or whatever) from your bass and a sealed sub can get you there, go for it. How powerful is the pb13 in sealed mode? Maybe that can be an option as well.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
We (jakeman and I) tried the PB13 in sealed mode. It sounded better but not as good as his JL113. The PB13 loses a lot of headroom without the porting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts