AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Didn't Intel issue a press release a couple of months back stating that the Pentium IV will be at the forefront of their processor lineup? Personally, if I was buying a new Intel-based machine, it wouldn't be a Pentium III.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Nope. Celerons have less cache than P3s. I wouldn't be surprised if the P3's are being eliminated as the profit margin is getting low. P3s are still the only way to go (Intel wise) if you want to do multi-processor since the P4s can't do that.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I myself read a Rambus directive that their RDRAM (Rambus Dynamic RAM) will run a tighter paralel course with the Intel P4,(northwood). P3 wasn't even mentioned in the article. This article was read by me in the last 3+ weeks from one of the news wires. I can't pinpoint it exactly because the AVS forum wasn't offering their P3 1GHz computer at the time as a special.

Call me a troll on this one or find the directive, I am talking about *literate* computer users! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, P3 has been 'dying' for a long time now. That doesn't mean buying one will be the worst decision you can make. The P3s were and still are excellent chips. The P4's floating point is weak, so MHz alone doesn't describe the whole story.

The Celeron is moving to the P4 socket soon(ish) too. Socket 370, the i815 chipset and PC133 SDRAM are slowly going away too. Will be available for a while yet, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DDR is definitely the way forward. I will try to restrain myself from going into a full-on rant about how much I dislike Rambus...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really comical if your thinking was true all the models that have been replaced would stop running like Antique expensive Phaetons, Chords, Studebaker Avanti, Steamships, Steam shovels and all the marvels you never seen at the Smithsonian.

You remember that giant locomotive, you think if you didn't fill it with water stoke her up with coal. Fire up the boiler that heats the water to steam, to drive the big wheels, pressure guage at 150 PSI. She wouldn't blow her whistle or if put into gear knock one of walls down or you if you stood your ground.

These antiques are not like guns that don't fire anymore! They're real and some lubricant like Slick 50 or WD-40 in the right places would get all of the machines that are self powered to life again.

Antique cars take out the spark plugs and put oil down the hole to loosen piston rings, let it soak then have a fresh fully powered battery to bring that antique to life. Did you think I was hatched from an egg got disabled, and lost my whole lifes memory of things and how they work?

Computers will be new to me at first, I guarantee you I will learn all I can, to enjoy my life in my apartment! One of these days we will all have our choice of voices, to greet us when we boot up. I will definitely not have the same voice as Dave did in Independence Day. I prefer Sals voice in 2010, instead of saying Good morning Doctor Chandra, it will be my real first name John. PCdoctor and other gals on AVS or any other computer users can have their choice of their favorite male or female voice. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
The P3 is not dead..

Just show me a link to Dell or IBM's Website as to where I can buy a P4 server. All Dell/IBM servers are P3's or Celeron's.

I do not know why you can't buy a P4 Server.

For business, the P3 is NOT dead..

John

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi

its not dead

look at alllaptops from sony .hp.ibm.new line prouducts

does any of them has p4.they all p3. rare you see p4 on them

safaa

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Mobile Pentium 4 CPUs have just recently become widely available and all of the major companies now have a product based on them. Prior to this release, I agree, the Pentium 3 was the only game in town.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hate to bust your baloon, in this same new catalog guy is on page 12 pictured watching Imperial Walkers from "The Empire Strikes Back" on a Inspiron 2650 1.4 GHz. Intel 4 proc. 256 MB PC 133 SDRAM, the C400 series 866MHz are being outfitted probably from Pentium 3 Dell has in stock yet. The May 2002 edition from Dell page 14 & 15 which includes laptops, Inspiron 8200 P4, Inspiron 2600,2650 are Intelleron at 1.06GGz. Latitude C400 only available P3 is 866 MHz. Inspiron 4100 Intel Celeron 1.06GHz. So Solly to have to bust your baloon! :)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
P3s are still the only way to go (Intel wise) if you want to do multi-processor since the P4s can't do that.
Ummm... I just bought one. I just got a Dell Workstation 530 which has two 1.7Ghz P4 Xeon chips, based on the i860 chipset. Hopefully they aren't running a scam on me :)

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Intel has been selling P4 servers for awhile (Foster based). However, they are both called "Xeon" so I can understand the confusion...

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hampton
The PIII design in obsolete and has been superceeded in everyway.

If anyone is stuck with one of these embarassing paperweights from yesteryear feel free to send it to me for disposal.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
That all depends on your needs. I have 5 PC's in my HT and only one of them is a P4, the Dscaler PC. In fact one is a lowly 486/66. It runs an 8 channel graphical VU meter that shows the level at each speaker room location in real time. Of all my toys this one get's the most interest from fellow HTers. As I wrote the code I can tell you there is nothing, nothing a P1,2,3,4,5,6,7 would do to make that product any better. It's speed is bound by the timing of the audio samples.

If you are building an HTPC with a HiPix for example there is no reason not to use a P3. A P4 will not improve the performance. Very good deals can be made on these "obsolete" computers and if it suits your needs, why not. Where do you think I got my 5 HTPC's from. I'm not rich!

Processor speed and cach is not the end all in computer versus application performance. In fact matching hardware to the application can often result in better performance than throwing money and perceived speed at it.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow to have all that knowledge about computers, could you ask the wife if she could spare you. A few hours on a errand of mercy teaching old *hob* how to work a computer, he knows the terms, he's got no actual time on the computer. Awe shucks I forgot to type Dear Santa, in front of 'A few hours'. lol :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.