AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 3-4 weeks out from pulling the trigger on a pj. For my setup, the TV3 works best due to the two box configuration and mounting options. I'm always a little nervous, though, about buying a brand new product.

Are enough of these pjs out there now to establish that it has (or has not) lived up to the very high expectations people had for it? In other words, is it as good as people thought it would be? Any disappointments? Are any of the other high-end HD2 pjs significantly better?

Just trying to get all the goods before dropping the money.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I will let you know on Friday:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am VERY happy with my TV3. Great picture, quiet and the two box solution works flawlessly. :D

·
Banned
496 Posts
The only negatives that have come up are the inability to access service menus , a small amount of light spill, and one instance of a possibly defective optical path. Otherwise, nothing but positives. No doubt, as time passes there will be problems and negative reactions that crop up- just like everything else out there.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is the TV3 perfect? No. There is no such thing as a perfect digital projector. However, the TV3 sounds like a very nice projector with one significant issue, the inability to access the service menu for an ISF type calibration. Bottom line - for 95% of the people this will be a great projector. Most of the ultra critical 5% who won't like the TV3 are members here :). Reed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've installed/sold 10 units since the TV3 release and have several others presold. I have yet to run into 1 issue with any of the delivered units. After multiple A/B comparisons with the Sharp 10K and TV3, I opted to remove the 10K and sell it as a demo unit and replaced it with the TV3. Before the TV3, I thought the Sharp 10K was the unit of choice...oh how quickly opinions can change. I truly feel for the mass market that the DWIN TV3 is the current HD2 PJ to beat.

If you're the ISF type - most aren't - (you may think you are but you're probably not) - then the service menu access is an issue. With that said DWIN has promised they will stand behind the TV3 to be at 6500K out of the box. If it's not and regular adjustment can't get it there, then send it to them for the adjustment.

Like I said though, the TV3 is the typical consumer's HD2 PJ to beat!

Brent Huskins

Media Design

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Reed summed it up quite well!

Unless something dramatic happens, this is the projector that I will be purchasing in the next three weeks! I've seen it twice, spending quite a bit of time with it, and I was extremely impressed with the picture quality.

Add to that the two box solution with incredible connectivity (two DVI inputs!), the DWIN is a winner.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Steve, that is a good question.

I called DWIN this week, and they said go with a "Studiotek 130" type screen, but there was some hesitation. He said both are great, but the way they've set up the TV3, he recommends Studiotek 130.

So, I called Stewart shortly after that, and asked the same question. After a few phone call transfers, I got a hold of someone. I would imagine its the rep for my region, but anyway, he said Firehawk.

Basically, I'm right back where I started, but if DWIN says Studiotek, I think I'll go with it. They would know best!

The more I think about it, the Studiotek makes sense. If projectors are going to improve black level (say the HD3 improves black level like the HD2 did), then why purchase a Firehawk now? You'll have to replace them both (projector and screen) when you upgrade.

For what it's worth, most Sharp owners are projecting on a Firehawk. The latest Home Theater Magazine was using a Stewart Studiotek 130 (6 feet wide) and said, "The XV-Z10000U's black-level performance is definitely a step up from that of its predecessor. While it's still not quite up to CRT performance in this regard, I have to say that it's acceptable and superior to what I've seen from DLP's biggest fixed-pixel rival: D-ILA or LCOS." And it wound up getting a 94 for performance.

Chris

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Unfortunately the last time I saw the TV3 was at CES, but I thought it had a great picture. I wish the service menu was accessible but for those who arent big on tweaking, this is a great projector

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've viewed the TV3 twice and had mixed results. First time, perhaps, was poorly calibrated as the picture was soft and somewhat colorless. My opinion. Yes, others will see different things. The other potential explanation given was that it was being being fed a progressive signal, but actually performs best in interlaced ("overprocessed").

Second viewing was better, but I still did not find the colors to be as natural and vibrant as the Marantz, in particular.

Recently I've viewed the new Yamaha DPX-1000, which I found to be a fabulous machine. Comparable picture to the S2, very wide throw range, awesome (and simple) on-screen calibration, great little remote, quiet. Biggest drawback seems to be its large size and, unlike the TV3, cannot be mounted significantly above the top of screen without keystone.

Any way, in my experience (don't flame, please), the TV3 did not match up to the S2 or the new Yamaha. I've not considered the Sharp, as its throw distance is too long for my setup.

Just my $.02

Best,

RTW

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Well, we all know how secret the recipie for Mrs. Field's cookies was, and it's all over the place now. ;)

My bet is the service menu code will surface soon (either deliberately or found by accident - I was a master at cracking codes for the Nintendo! Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start!) When it does, what will people try to find wrong with the DWIN next? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the point is, someone (or something) will always have a problem with ANY piece of gear no matter what it is. Do what's right for you. Use these forums as a guide.

Chris

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I saw the TV3 at CES and think it would have benefitted from the Firehawk.

A great projector, one of my top choices! Love the two-box setup.

Dan

·
Registered
79 Posts
How does DWIN know how to set the projector for 6500K when they don't know screen size or room ambiance? Won't that change setting of the projector? If some one knows please let me know.

If the projector does not calibrate to 6500k does the unit get sent back to DWIN?

Ross

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Chris,

007-373-5963

Mike Tysons Punch out code to get to Mike Tyson:D

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Chris, I think almost everyone knew that code. Ah, Contra, one of the best games ever. Entertainment Magazine ranked it #51 of all-time video games. I would have ranked it higher.

The only thing I do not like about the DWIN is the little bit of light spill. There is a little out of the rear fan grill and some onto the ceiling and walls through the lens (other than the picture of course). But I never see it while watching since my room is flat blue with high ceilings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The DWIN spec sheet says that the TV3 has a "Light Sealed Cabinet". If a unit has the light spill that Toxarch describes, is it a defective unit, or is DWIN's claim just misleading?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I previewed the TV3 on a 106" white screen and loved it. I ended up with the Sharp Z10000 and love it. I got my Sharp for a very, very good price and have had it professionally calibrated for DVD and HD cable. If the two projectors had been the same price and had the TV3 been shipping when I installed my pj, I would have probably gone a little wiggy trying to decide between the two.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It does seem quite difficult to get the PJ 6500K out of the box...

The last one I did was nowhere near that ...

The light spill also leads to question regarding either defects, which other people seem to see (not just me) or flat out false advertising.

My other Demo Unit is on the way... and Josh and I plan to shoot it and the 10k out on his firehawk.

-ADS-

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Quote:
The last one I did was nowhere near that ...
Don't you mean "the only one" you "did"?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.