AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided on the L300U but now the LC76U comes along, seems the 76U is very similar to the 75U. How I wish the L300U has the same Panazip warranty as the business line. That would make my decision sooo much easier. :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Panasonic posted the user's guide on their website over the weekend, and this looks to be exactly the projector I need (50% home theatre, 25% TV, 25% computer use), but the conflicting data (300:1 or 400:1 contrast depending where you look for example) and noit being able to test one out is putting off my purchase. I may be looking for a 75u before they all disappear. 1600 Luman for business use and low-power for home.

Has anybody seen the 76u with a progressive scan DVD player yet? Please give me your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
FYI- The 75U has MLA, the 76U does not. I assume the 300:1 contrast rating is at 1600 lumen for the 76U. I would only assume the contrast rating for the low power mode of the 76U would be the equivalent or better than the 75U. I would go for the 75U at less money and MLA.

Scott

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The 76U does not have MLA- the new 80U will have MLA and 2000 lumens. I think the 80U is what will actually replace the 75U.

UPDATE:

My bad........the 76U does have MLA according to the manual. This contradicts the specs I was told earlier. Hmmmmm..... they have the contrast as 400:1 instead of 300:1 which I was told too.

Scott

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SKoprowski
The 76U does not have MLA- the new 80U will have MLA and 2000 lumens. I think the 80U is what will actually replace the 75U.

UPDATE:

My bad........the 76U does have MLA according to the manual. This contradicts the specs I was told earlier. Hmmmmm..... they have the contrast as 400:1 instead of 300:1 which I was told too.
If this new info is true, then it would seem like the 76U is a step up from the 75U. Maybe the 80U would be considered a step up from the 711XU.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have been running a new 75u for about three days. My initial impression is that it is basically the same projector as a friend's 300u that he let me demo except for the obvious difference in resolution/aspect ratio and a difference in contrast. There are other subtle differences in that the 75U requires a special cable to use component video, but has a second RGB port. The blacks on the 75U are definately not as good as the 300u, but they are still very watchable IMHO. I believe a good screen with a little grey should largely resolve this. The screen door on the 75u was a little more noticable than I expected, but a slight defocus fixed that.

Your decision between the 300u and the 75u should be mostly driven by your video source and what you want to use it for. In my case I plan to use an HTPC as my primary source, and this way I get a good crisp XGA display with my desktop and don't have to worry about performing gymnastics to get 1-1 pixel mapping like with so many 16:9 projectors. If you just want to drive it with a good DVD player and not mess with an HTPC, the 300U stands out.

I had considered the 76u based on the early rumors but now that the specs are in, it basically looks like a brighter 75u that is optimized for the business market. I was willing to accept the possible loss of MLA and the loss of the image processing, but when they dropped the contrast per the 300:1 spec, I actually decided to buy a 75u now instead of waiting, even though I will not have a good place to put it for two or three months.

My advise is go for a 300u or a 75u while they are still available. Don't bother with the 76u. My gut feeling is that they will try to get a lot more money for the 80u based on the higher brightness.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've been checking prices on both the 75 and 76u. I'm seeing numbers within $100. At that point, I'm really tempted by the 76u, but I can't find anybody locally who has them. Definately a machine I need to see. Right now my only concern is contrast and how black can I get the black.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Might want to hurry, I don't believe they 75u is going to be produced much longer (or has production already stopped?). The site previously selling them for $1600 now only lists them in a package w/ a DVD recorder.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I looked at the manual for the 76U today. I don't know. All the back connectors are covered by a plastic panel that has to be permanently flipped up if you ceiling mount the projector since the cables would remain connected- I think that would look tacky. Also the air intake is on the side, but the uptake and filter is on the bottom in the 76U. If you ceiling mount it the filter will be sitting on top of the projector which I would think would collect more settling dust. They make a point not to cover the intake when you are ceiling mounting it. This makes it hard for homemade ceiling mounts.

It is still questionable if the 76U has MLA and a contrast of 300:1 or 400:1. The manual states 400:1 and MLA but the official brochure does not state MLA and lists the contrast as 300:1. I would hurry and get a 75U before they are gone. Panasonic clearly doesn't want the 76U to compete with their home theater projectors like the 75U did.

Scott

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Luckily mine will be on top of a low bookshelf (conversion of home library to part-time screening room. The small portability is a major plus for me. Yes the outstanding questions are still there - my guess is the promo cut-sheets were printed before the projector went final, so some stuff has been updated. I'm still trying to find one locally to look at - not quite ready to jump in without seeing one (or somebody else's hands-on experience).

-L

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
UPDATE: I got an e-mail from a trusted vendor. He said that the76U is not as good as the 75U with video and that contrast was noticably less than the 75U too. So basically he said the 76U wasn't the projector he thought after he "clawed" around with it.

Scott

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds too bad, that puppy had a lot of potential - especially as I am looking for potability on top of good HT use. I'm definitely not buying one sight-unseen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please help me... I don't know where to get the component cable for the 75u. Everyone sends me to this thread that is supposed to make it "obvious". Call me an idiot, but I still don't get it? Where do I get one?

Thanks all,

LaKidd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks!

I REALLY like it. I don't think that it can be beat for the price. I don't see ANY need to upgrade any time soon, unless an XGA LCD with 3000 lumens for under $2500 comes out. Further than 12ft back, there is no screen door visible, and with it and a $250 Hi-Power Dalite screen, and a $15 FLD fliter, this thing has an outstanding picture and colors. Mind you, I don't use the internal scaler at all- just HTPC with a Radeon card- so I can't comment on the quality of the scaler. The contrast is also excellent. Some people say that 400:1 contrast is not enough, but the picture looks great to me and all others that have seen it.

LaKidd

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Glad you like your 75U. We have the same setup- 75U, Dalite HP and Hoya filter. I agree the 75U looks great. I'll be keeping my 75U for a while. BTW- I live in OH too- North Canton.

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
By the way, thanks for all of your help in me making the decision sight unseen Scott. Here's a question for you- do you get a strange motion artifact- compressed blurring is how I describe it- on fast motion scenes and fast horizontal pans? I only notice it in some movies in some scenes. I'm trying to rule out the projector. If so, how do you correct it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No- but I primarily use a Toshiba interlaced dvd player and an Iscan Ultra. I find my HTPC to be too much of an effort-I'm lazy. The blurring you see may be in relation to the refresh rate. Try setting the refresh rate to 72 instead of the default 60 in Windows. Also, make sure you use the auto setup to set the clock and phase while in rgb mode. It could also be the software dvd player too- try switching between hardware and software decoding and see if that makes a difference. I personally don't find the HTPC much better than a good progressive dvd.

Good Luck,

Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.