AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the title pretty much says it all. im looking for a cheap way to have storage for my HTPC. i have 4 400gb drives right now, and they are just in USB2.0 enclosures, attached to a computer in my basement. the HTPC and "server" are connected via gigabit ethernet. i only use one stream at a time. (only one computer accesses storage at a time).

i want to get rid of the computer and go to a NAS type device. i dont want to mess with readynas, or software like that. i would rather just throw the hard drives in enclosures and be done with it. does the netgear sc101 do this? ive heard it uses a proprietary format, so you need to install software on the devices that will be using it. thats not a big deal as i use computers to share music/movies, and not media portal devices. the only other downside is its only 10/100. would that be fast enough for vob streaming?

for around $60 on ebay, it can hold 2 drives. with 2-3 of these i could have as much storage as i wanted! i dont really need raid, if a hard drive crashes, ill just reload everything.

· Registered
175 Posts
My brother just purchased one of these and sold it three days later. It uses a proprietary format on the drives and wants to allocate a partition for each computer. The software needs to be installed on each computer using it. For me, this setup would be totally useless. He got it for 32 bucks and it wasn't worth that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.