AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used Panasonic DST51 that just doesn't like running cool. It is very very hot and the hotter it gets, the more trouble I am having with it. D-VHS tapes played back via the Panny DVHS deck firewired to the DST51 are glitched in a number of ways.

I cranked the AC in the small room up and placed a fan over the shelf the DST51 sits on and it did make a difference and the glitches went away for the most part.

This is obviously a heat related issue. Is this unit prone to overheating? What do you DST51 owners do to counteract it? I can't have the fan over the unit for a variety of reasons (noise being one of them) and the AC has to come out soon, so now what?

This unit has a Best Buy warranty good until 2004, but I am unsure if it will cover me. The warranty states it is transferable, but it does not say how many times. I am the third owner and the second owner is listed on the section for "Transfer of warranty coverage."

Ideas?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yes. Both the -50 and -51 models suffer from the same heat induced problems. This was well documented on (old) posts here. Thanks to this board I originally avoided one of these headaches.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I tried a search but came up empty and then tried again and search was unavailable. I wonder what will happen with Best Buy if I bring it in for service?

Maybe I should buy a very small, quiet fan and place it next to the unit and see what happens?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will they accept the Best Buy warranty? Search came back and I found some threads on this subject and it looks like I would need to buy a fan to blow directly on the unit. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.