AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but i just saw in best buy a clearance on the Panasonic HS2 for $636, it was open box but they also had them on clearance for $850 approx. does anyone know if this is being replaced by newer unit and if so, what is it and what differences???

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is from the PANASONIC web site:

PANASONIC EXPANDS ITS CELEBRATED DVD RECORDER LINE

WITH TWO FOURTH-GENERATION MODELS,

INCLUDING NEW 80GB HARD DISK RECORDER

New York, NY (April 30, 2003) — Building on its technological strengths and market leadership position in recordable DVD products, Panasonic introduces two DVD recorders as part of a new worldwide "DIGA" DVD recorder line.

Model DMR-E60, which features an SD Memory Card slot, a PCMCIA slot and a DV input terminal, is an extremely versatile unit designed for easy interaction with digital still cameras and digital camcorders. The DMR-E60 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $599.95 and will be available at retail in May. The new DMR-E80 DVD/hard disk recorder features 80GB of built-in memory. It provides up to 104 hours of recording time on its hard drive and up to 6 hours on a removable 4.7 GB DVD-RAM disc (both in Extended Play mode.) The DMR-E80 has an MSRP of $699.95 and will be available at retail in July.

Panasonic is calling its new DVD recorder line "DIGA", a name derived from the words "Digital" and "Giga". "Digital" calls attention to the fact that these new recorders truly offer the best of digital technology, while "Giga" emphasizes the enormous storage capacity (4.7 and 9.4 gigabytes) that DVD discs allow.

"Panasonic is launching the new DIGA recorders with a global promotion campaign that builds upon the company's dominant position in this fast emerging product area," said Reid Sullivan, Vice President of Panasonic's Entertainment Group. "We are referring to this worldwide campaign as "Project M" — an integrated effort that relies on our Marketing and Manufacturing strengths to serve as the underpinnings of an extensive and ongoing commitment to DVD recorders."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that PANASONIC has also announced a model with a 120GB Hard Drive with some additional features over the 80GB model DMR-E80 mentioned above. I'm sure you can find more info on the PANASONIC web site.

If I were you ... I'd wait and not get the DMR-HS2 if for nothing else then for the fact that it has the dreaded "black level" bug which PANASONIC has finally solved with all new models (well right now I think the DMR-E50 is the only one out of the new models but it fixes the bug as SHOULD all the other new models which will be hitting the market in the comming months).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks alot for info and article so correct me if im wrong but it appears the new one coming out is going to be better and several hundred dollars less, hs2 normally runs $999 until now, is the 120 gig hard drive coming out same time s the 80 gig hd, which one would you buy?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello :)

As I recall the 80GB model will be out first but I'm sure the 120GB model will not be far behind. As far as I am concerned I'm sure the 80GB model is enough in terms of storage but if I recall correctly the 120GB model will have some features NOT on the 80GB model. The only feature the 120GB model will have over the 80GB model (at least the only feature that I can recall that seemed noteworthy) is a DV input. I suppose if you have a digital camcorder it is something you might want. I don't have one and even if I did I think I could do without since you would have to first copy your video to a computer to edit it. I guess even then you could simply output it back through the DV out of the computer and into the stand alone but once it is already in the computer you might as well just do a software mpeg2 ... done correctly the quality would probably be better and then of course you could do fancy menus etc. with a computer authoring program. I do recall there being another difference or two but I don't recall exactly what they were now. Best to wait for both models to come out and compare afterall it should only be another couple months or so now.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.