AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
compatible ?,I just bought a new plextor dual format 8X drive.

I made my 1st backup of a movie with the included plextor 8X dvd+r blank.

the entire movie plays fine in the plextor.....

and starts out just as good in the rp-91,till the 5th chapter,then I start to see pixelization throughout the rest of the movie.

I thought the rp-91 was supposed to be able to play +r's ?

or could it be a speed issue {maybe 8x media too fast for the rp91}

I just ordered 50 blank ritek 8x dvd +R's......

not sure what to do now ??

anyone having luck with +r's in this player.

I also just updated the firmware to 259 today {but that didn't do the trick}

thanks,

·
Registered
31 Posts
from a previous thread, i believe users have had good luck with DVD-R. unfortunately no DVD+R testing. i'm curious too as i just bought the TDK 8x drive -- which is a relabled 8x Plextor.

it would seem DVD-R is more universally recognized in most players. have you tried recording another DVD+R?

btw, here's a great site someone recommended for DVD recording compatibility: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally posted by SCHUMACHER

from a previous thread, i believe users have had good luck with DVD-R. unfortunately no DVD+R testing. i'm curious to as i just bought the TDK clone to the Plextor.

it would seem DVD-R is more universally recognized in most players. have you tried recording another DVD+R?

Schumacher :,????That's my Name !!{you spelled it right too} :D

I'm waiting for the order I placed for 8X Ritek +R's .

Omega said they work for him,might have been an off-brand disk that plextor relabled ?? {hope they don't use Ritek}

thanks guy's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bill, I'm having playback issues on my RP91 with DVD-R pixelation throughout the film making them unwatchable. I am also using the Plextor 708A 8x, although I upgraded form a Pioneer DVR-105 thinking it was the culprit. The same DVD-Rs that have problems on my RP91 work fine on the PC and in my Pioneer DV-525. Have you had any luck finding a fix?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bill,

Try burning at a slower speed, like 2.4X. Had the same problem with pixelation, video freeze, or suddenly jumping back to the beginning. Kind of defeating the purpose of having an 8x, but since i've been burning at the slowest speed, haven't had these problems.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Actually from my experiences ... all format DVD-R , DVD+R , DVD+RW and DVD-RW can be playback correctly in any modern day DVD players when it follows the basic : -

1) The clone or backup DVD Movies have been proper rip and burn.

* Why I said this , is because I ever come across using Roxio and direct copy a DVD but the playback is very jumpy and later found out that it is a copyright DVD Disc , so when I re-copy using the proper software , this problem goes away.

2) Always tray to burn at the lowest speed if possible , this give more stable results. If you burn at top speed and the results is no good ... it is a waste of time and resources ... burn slow and get the best results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunatly I've tried buring 3-4 titles at 1x and stille xperience the pixelation issues. Not as many as say a 4x burn but still enough to make things unwatchable. Pressed Silver DVDs play in the unit without any issues whatsoever. As I've used 2 different DVD burners and plenty of different titles I'm inclined to think that the issue is somehow related to the player but open to suggestions! Just curious if DVD+R may help?

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Try picking up a couple of Taiyo Yuden brand DVD-R/DVD+R 4x media.

They are the best and you should be able to see with this media, if it's the RP-91 or errors on the Ritek disc.

If the Taiyo Yuden works, you can then work backward if you want to save $$$. Trying Maxell, Verbatim, TDK, FujiFilm "Japan".

The Taiyo Yuden can be had for at $1.68/each if you buy a 100 pack spindle. $190 for silver or white ink jet version.

I plan to begin testing 8x burning on a new Pioneer 107 as soon as the ver. 1.09 firmware is posted in a few days. Until then, 2x and 4x have been fine with the Memeorex, Maxell and Verbatim media.

Ritek can be very good or very bad. It is widely reported Ritek can have bad batches, even in their "G04" level media.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Don't use cheap media.

That is what causes skips and freezes from what I seen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have the RP-91 and I use DVD-R burned with the Plextor PX-708A, and I haven't had any problems yet. I burned the 1x BMI media at 2x, too.

Also, regarding the Plextor- it helps a lot to update the firmware. I'd also like to update the RP91's FW but I'm too chicken... I haven't had it that long and I don't want to jack it all up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My RP91 played all DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM, I have not had a chance to check with DVD-RW but I am sure it will play fine. I have used different brand, quality and speed of DVD media. I liked DVD-RAM because of its durability and number (100,000) of times that can be re-used but very slow burning time on my old Panasonic burner (1x). I have now 8x Plextor and using 4x DVD+RW frequently. Also tried to burn 4x DVD+R at 8x speed (just for test) which worked and played on RP91. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DLShres
My RP91 played all DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM, I have not had a chance to check with DVD-RW but I am sure it will play fine. I have used different brand, quality and speed of DVD media. I liked DVD-RAM because of its durability and number (100,000) of times that can be re-used but very slow burning time on my old Panasonic burner (1x). I have now 8x Plextor and using 4x DVD+RW frequently. Also tried to burn 4x DVD+R at 8x speed (just for test) which worked and played on RP91. Hope this helps.
I've recently acquired a Dual Format DVD Burner and wanted to find out if the +R format played in the unit as well. My RP-91 is R1 and has firmware v262 (with the latest update from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=378689 ).

I've had no problems with the -R format. When I burn, I also have the option to change the Booktype to DVD-ROM if I wish with the +R format for better compatibility. The manual says the RP-91 does not play DVD-ROM discs. Can anyone confirm that?? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Stay away from cheap media like Ritek. They cause all kinds of trouble and even if they play fine in the beginning they will develope problems later. I always use TDK and never have any problems.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
Stay away from cheap media like Ritek. They cause all kinds of trouble and even if they play fine in the beginning they will develope problems later. I always use TDK and never have any problems.
Thanks for the reply CKNA. What's the problem with Ritek media?? Those in the DVD Burning forums rave about the quality of Ritek and the comments from users at newegg.com say the same.

Is this a Panasonic specific problem with this media??

Have you had any problems playing either -R or +R in the RP91.

Which do you prefer??

Will the RP91 play Booktype DVD-ROM +R discs??

Thanks for your expert opinion...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.