AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like the rp82 is becoming an urban legend. Thanks to the advice on this board, this AV neophyte just got his from Crutchfield last friday. :D

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NJGuy2002
Seems like the rp82 is becoming an urban legend. Thanks to the advice on this board, this AV neophyte just got his from Crutchfield last friday. :D
It certainly has caused a flurry of speculation and conflicting information. In reality, I doubt that Panasonic would formally discontinue such a recently-introduced model. However, given Panasonic's supply problems on various DVD products, it's probably more of a case where they won't be able to deal with the endless backorders until it's time to announce new 2003 models next spring. It's the illusion of being discontinued.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Maybe you guys aren't looking hard enough?

I see them in stock every time I run across one. they're all over the net.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by metalaaron
I see them in stock every time I run across one.
???????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Maybe you guys aren't looking hard enough? I see them in stock every time I run across one. they're all over the net.
Remember that listing them as "in stock" unfortunately does not always equal actually being in stock. Infact, on hard to find items the "in stock" notification is only of real value with a select few dealers.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Just got one last week from crutchfield...just over $200 delivered (3 day delivery no less)...

out of stock now...expected 12/12/02

Rich

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
What is so special about this DVD player?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706
What is so special about this DVD player?
Do a search for "RP-82"and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know. ;)

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Nekobus, thanks but i am thinking of buying it tonight. Can you just give me a brief overview of why this dvd player is so good?

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
Quote:
Nekobus, thanks but i am thinking of buying it tonight. Can you just give me a brief overview of why this dvd player is so good?
Long story short: Very good quality, very low price.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
In a nutshell: Faroudja deinterlacing chip, high quality mpeg decoder used in the RP-91, no chroma bug. Plays multiple formats (DVD-R, DVD-RAM, MP3, WMA, CD-R, etc). DVD-A with built-in DD/DTS decoder. Best picture quality and bang for the buck around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got mine at Crutchfield last week but will be returning it because my wife doesn't like the color... ordered a CP72 instead (same as rp82 but black with 5 disc changer). They give full 30 day money back including the return shipping :)

Ronnie

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
In a nutshell: Faroudja deinterlacing chip, high quality mpeg decoder used in the RP-91, no chroma bug. Plays multiple formats (DVD-R, DVD-RAM, MP3, WMA, CD-R, etc). DVD-A with built-in DD/DTS decoder. Best picture quality and bang for the buck around.
I absolutely agree. The picture quality of this unit is utterly outstanding as has been discussed endlessly. The thing that I have loved about this unit is that it can actually play all of the formats listed. I had a previous Panasonic DVD player that would not play my Panasonic DMR-E20 recorded DVD-Rs correctly even though it claimed that it would. It would pixelate and break-up every couple minutes...very annoying. This is not the case with the RP-82; it plays them beautifully. It also plays my DVD-Ram discs perfectly. I couldn't be happier. I agree with Nekobus, it is definitely the most bang for the buck in the market currently

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
, it's probably more of a case where they won't be able to deal with the endless backorders until it's time to announce new 2003 models next spring
Haven't been following this board lately and maybe theres some posts regarding this.

Fry's has three new model's in that are very similar in looks and features to the 62's and 82's. I'm hoping to see some post regarding these new models. The build quality looked MUCH nicer and the units were considerable heavier. However, the top model line was priced at 350.00. I'm hoping its an 82 killer!

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Keep in mind that Panasonic claimed for a long time that the RP91 was not going to be discontinued (including on their official website), and then suddenly it was gone from store shelves and the RP82 appeared a couple of months later.

Still, this is way too early to take the RP82 off store shelves.

·
Registered
510 Posts
All this talk about legendary back for the buck...

I'm curious, what do you guys think about Best Buy's CyberHome CH-DVD 500 player? It was selling for $80 until just recently, now it's around $120 I think. 480p progressive scan (3:2 pulldown), DVD-Audio, optical + coaxial DD/DTS out, tested compatible with DVD+/-R(W), NTSC *and* PAL support along with easy region-free coding to make it truly universal...

I bought one recently, along with JVC's XV-F85GD 7-disc progressive scan changer for $130. I just can't leave a good deal alone (saw it from TechBargains.com) :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
st63z,

Actually the Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 Progressive Scan player is going foronly $59.99 at Best Buy right now and it doesn't support DVD Audio. It's normal price is $119.99. Has anyone actually tried one of these players out just out of curiousity? It does support both PAL and NTSC plus zoom feauture. It has the Cirrus Logic CS98100 chipset.

Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 Sale

·
Registered
510 Posts
^ Wow the price apparently dropped since I bought it a week ago. I'd bought it for $80, now going via your link it shows $70. If you're seeing $60, BestBuy.com must be able to display different prices depending on your location??? That's weird that different regions get different prices (can others post what price they see?)... Also weird, I saw the players again just recently at a local BB, with the shelf sticker now displaying the full $120 price w/ no mention of the sale price that was there before...

I haven't unpacked my player yet, but I thought it does do DVD-A ( http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23804 ). The last couple of BIOS updates involved fixes w/ DVD-A playing...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Saw the $60 price for the Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 at local BB (seemed to be a price mistake for the CH-DVD 402, but oh well). So I got the $20 credit back for the price difference...

Man, 60 bucks tho, how low can they go...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.