AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find this player anywhere, does anyone know if it's generally available? Is the Panasonic XP50 the same as the XP30 video wise, or is it different in any way? For that matter, is the Denon 1600 perhaps a better choice, and is the Denon 1600 identical to the Panasonic RP82 in all ways, or just in video chipset used?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The xp50 is still available on the web for around $280 each. D-mart has them in stock again as well as a couple other places. I picked one up a couple weeks ago, it is a nice machine.

Those 3 models are essentially the same video wise. The basic difference is the xp50 and the 1600 are dvd audio compatible. The 1600 goes one step better for dvd audio with a better audio chip set. If you do a search on xp50 you can get a more detailed description of what sets these 3 apart.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like those provide the best image quality then, assuming that the XP30 and XP50 are the same video wise. So the firmware/software/hardware regarding video playback is identical between the XP50 and the XP30, correct? Additionally, the audio section on the Denon 1600 might beat the panasonic models?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The audio should actually be the same if you are using an optical connection for the sound, but if you hook up the xp50 and the 1600 via analog connection for dvd audio, the 1600 should in theory sound better.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, for DVD-A it's always analog cabling, I hook both 5.1 analog and digital, that way my DVD-A stuff comes through MC analog and the movies (and regular CD's) come through digitally. I might hook up regular stereo cables as well, and use the analog direct feature on the receiver to play CD's using the Denon's DAC's

DVD-A's don't output any digital data.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is correct, that is why there is little or no difference in sound with an optical hook up between those 3 players. It's the receiver which will determine output quality, not the player.

As stated previously the difference is when playing dvd-a hook up on the xp50 and the 1600. With this hook up the sound produced is more dependent on the quality of sound processing chips in the dvd player, not the receiver. The denon uses the Burr-Brown chipset, recognized as one of the best. The denon runs $150 - $200 more than the panasonic from an authorized dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.