AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!!!

My first post at AVS and extremely happy of finding a place where people like us can share... I actually have a question...When is the 7th Gen for consumers coming out? What are the models? pricing? I'm in the market for a good display under 3K and considering the Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV TH-42PD25U that's running for $2700 because it seems a very complete choice (lots of features). However, it is impossible to find at stores...Any suggestions for alternatives?? What about accesories...

Thanks!

· Registered
209 Posts
The 42" Panny DTV is a good display, and I have one. Rumors are that the next generation is coming out soon. You can probably get the current ones for less than $2700, though. I paid $less for mine at BB.

Like most consumer things, there will ALWAYS be a next generation right around the corner.

· Registered
336 Posts
No it is not a good choice...it is the BEST choice out there right now for an EDTV with pretty much all the features and best black you can find, if you can find one for the same or under the price dmwierz posted (not supposed to) at local (I don't want to risk expensive shipping cost on an expensive, sensitive electronic item through the on-line retailers).

BB has a 10% or 12% (if purchase with their cc with a 2 years interest free financing) coupon that brings the price even further...

Practically all BBs, CCs, and Sears have them now... The next generation's release date may be around the corner, but the actual product availability may be many many months more after the release date!!!! Not to mention the cost!

I very satisfied with this unit...

· Registered
23 Posts
I just bought 2 from Wells Digital (they are now out of stock of course) and had no problems whatsoever. Their shipping is $58, and the price was low (and no tax) - all in was several hundred less than what you quoted above.

And you are right, with the speakers, stand, etc. it comes with everything. I have crummy Adelphia digital cable. Despite this, HBO, MAX, all the movie channels look amazing, and DVD is insane....

this is a great set

· Registered
57 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if i'm wrong), but this PDP is currently selling, and hopefully in stock, at your local Costco!!! At least here in SoCal it is... I was at a couple of Costco's recently (Azusa & City of Industry) and they had this model PDP next to the 43" HD Pioneer PDP... The price for the Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV TH-42PD25U was a penny under $2500... Granted, you probably could find them a couple of hundred dollars cheaper online... But given that you can actually pick one up TODAY and having Costco's return policy to back it up, then it would probably be better getting this PDP through your local Costco warehouse...

Anyhoot... FYI for people who are interested in this model PDP... Go check out your local Costco to see if they have it in stock... Better yet, check out the display on the floor... Hopefully it will be next to the 43" HD PDP so you can see the comparison... Happy shopping!!!

- Air B :D

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to costco right after work....I din't know if they will have it here in Minnesota though...thnaks for all your answers....

· Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie
The price for the Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV TH-42PD25U was a penny under $2500...
I just called my local costco who does have the 42" panny in stock. However, their model was a TH-42PA25U and not the "D" model. Thus, it has no ATSC tuner. Don't know if it's this way for all costcos or just mine but that ruins the deal for me.

Jeff

· Registered
57 Posts
You're probably right, Jeff... My mistake everyone... I believe it is the "A" model instead of the "D" model... Sorry 'bout that!! Nonetheless, I hope some of you can capitalize on the deal... Good luck all...

- Air B :D

· Registered
84 Posts
Sales tax applied when buying at Costco about evens out a shipping charge (w/NO tax) from an on-line site. Add on Costco's liberal return policy and I'd say Costco is the way to go if that is the model you are looking for.

· Registered
336 Posts
BEWARE: DO NOT CONFUSE THE "PA" AT COSTCO WITH THE REGULAR RETAIL, FULLY LOADED "PD" MODEL AT OTHER RETAIL CHAIN!!!!!!!!

The "PA" model at CostCo does not comes with the HD OTA tuner, the CableCard, the SD flash memory reader and the HDMI connector that are built-in with the "PD" model!

Shop around, be patient, and you can actually find the "PD" loaded model with less than the price of the "PA" model at CostCo.

HAPPY SHOPPING!

· Registered
1,231 Posts
I love mine. I got mine for cost and was an incredible value to boot. This set pulls great blacks levels and OTA HDTV looks as good as a $7000 Pioneer HDTV plasma. For the money it can't be beat.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I was lucky enough to get the fully loaded "PD" model at the Fullerton Costco here in SoCal. I've been in the market for a plasma for awhile but just been hesitant in pulling the trigger. Well this past Tuesday, as I do my usual drooling at Costco's plasma, I noticed the guys there setting up another plasma right next to the "PA" version. At the time I didn't know the difference so I asked the guy. Why are you setting up another 42" Panasonic right next to another.

The guy said well this version "PD" has the HD OTA receiver and the other one did not. Well my next response was to ask him how much was it? He goes on and tell me that Panasonic had mistakenly sent them 2 "PD" versions instead of the "PA" one and that the store manager decided just to sell them instead of returning them back and they were going to price it at $2499!!!

I quickly called a buddy of mind and he confirmed the the "PD" had all the extras LKM466 had mentioned and the retail price should be $2999. $500 cheaper and Costco great return policy was more than I could bare. I am proud owner of a 42" Panasonic TH-42PD25 plasma:D. As darkninja mentioned, the PQ for OTA HD signal looks stunning to me.

If you guys want one, the Fullerton Costco had one more left as of Tuesday 10/12/04

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Darn it! I'm in Minnesota.....I was planning on waiting a bit more but If I find something like that I'll jump in....Thanks for all the advice....and I'm definitely looking for the 7UY or for the PD25....which one? not sure yet!

· Registered
57 Posts
WOW!!!! Great find Cedman... Aight... All of you who live in the SoCal area and want the "PD" version of this panny, you know that there's one left at the Fullerton Costco... Good luck people and congrats Cedman for getting this great PDP... PEACE!!!

- Air B :cool:

· Registered
59 Posts
Anyone who ones a TH42PD25UP who has it mounted on a wall (or not).....

I need to know what the clearance is from the wall to the back of the unit at about 15" to the right of the center point (upper right). I am having a room built and I need to know if the location I am chosing for the electrical outlet, etc. will allow enough clearance for a plug to be plugged into it. I assume the plug on these units is a straight in type.. not the kind which allows less clearance.

Hope I am making sense...

Thanks for any help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.