Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the PB12-ISD/2 good enough or is it worth it to save for the SVS PB12-Plus/2

Right now i have a 21 foot long by 16 feet wide, but when we move houses we will have a larger basement room home theater

both come with 2 12 inch woofers I think

only difference I can see is that one has 600 watts and one has 900 watts

currently I have a cerwin vega side powering 200 watt rms woofer

and im looking for a sub that I will see a NOTICEABLE difference on

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just got the svs sub today,a ultra2,this is a very nice piece both the sound preformance and appearance,easily balances the 380 rms watt feed bose 901's

I would definately do this purchase again with any model from these guys

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the ultra 2 is out of my price range

what about the two i mentioned

anyone

i will be purchasing one or the other

one of them is 800 bucks and the second choice is 1200

·
Registered
63 Posts
As you will not have them side by side, you'll never know ;-)

I have a Plus/2 btw.

The real difference would come with an Ultra driver.

Ask the guys at SVS about the single driver Ultra box against the ISD/2.

For my money or yours, go for the PB12 Ultra. If it had been available when I bought mine I would have got one.

I doubt that you'll miss the output with the one versus two drivers and you'll get the fanastic SQ of the Ultra.

Des.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
What Des said.

Tim

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey
only difference I can see is that one has 600 watts and one has 900 watts
It doesn't make a big difference, but actually Plus/2 has a 1000 W amp. That 900 W was just an typo. Ron has said it himself.

I'm getting my Ultra today and I have also heard the ISD/2, so I think I can post some thoughts later on.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have about the same size room as you.I started with a PCi20-39 and then I wanted more!My new Ultra makes my room breath!! I traded many emails with Tom V about the diff between multiple models of SVS. In one of the many emails Tom told me an ISD/2 tuned to 20hz had about the same spl output as a single Ultra driver, as well as 2 Ultra drivers equal to the output of 3 Plus drivers. The SQ is where the Ultra really shines though. You will just have to experience it to know! You will notice quite a diff from what you are using now. Over the last wknd I was tuning/calibrating my sub, I was playing Rush in Rio--pretty loud--I made the mistake of going a little too loud(wife out shopping)needless to say Neil Peart has a nice drum solo...to make a long story short, my rat shack spl hit 110db...I thought I was going to break a window!! Their superior products and benchmark customer service are raved about on this site and others...its well deserved!! Call them, they would be more than happy to help you in your situation. All I can think about is my Christmas present to myself...another Ultra to go on the other side of the TV!

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I say get the PB12-Plus/2 or dual 20-39PCi subs!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anymore opinions

or anyone that has hear them side by side

if i wont be able to tell a difference over the single driver vs the 2 drivers sub,

then why is it more

i mean isnt it a more powerful sub , considering that it has a bigger amp

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i guess these subs arent as popular as i though

im fixing to make a big expense in a sub and I was hoping for some more comments than 2 or 3

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
What kind of output and extension are you looking for? Are all of your placement options open? How much do you want to spend?

How did you end up choosing an ISD/2?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Their actually very popular Kirtis but your going to have to be the judge here.

The PB12-Plus/2 has roughly 50% more output capability (around 3 dB) than the PB12-ISD/2 in the common bass ranges. In the lower regions...below 30 Hz, the PB12-Plus/2 advantage will exceed even more. Considering your plans for the future and you being in a good size basement setting now. I would go the PB12-Plus/2 if it were my decision to make.
Quote:
if i wont be able to tell a difference over the single driver vs the 2 drivers sub, then why is it more
Your paying for the performance/SQ capability of the single TV-12 driver. Another option would be a single PB12-Ultra now and then another down the road..(room-budget permitting). This would be your best option if the rest of the planets lined up in your favour?
Quote:
currently I have a cerwin vega side powering 200 watt rms woofer
All the options we're talking about here would totaly decimate your current, respectfully speaking. It boils down to how far do you want to take your bass and how much are you willing to pay.;) I know with the slather of offerings SVS carries now, it can be rather daunting what to go with. I'm afraid it will only get more complicated in time, but aren't we so lucky.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, yeah i have the money to buy either one of these

so are you guys sa ing that a sub will perform better if it only has one 12 inch driver

maybe im getting confused, but i thought that both subs I listed have dual drivers

sorry to be so lack of knowledge,

I have looked at the site a many of times

im thinking the plus 2 would be the better choice in the long run like you said, it wil have more performance in the lower ranges or frequencies

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey
"Right now i have a 21 foot long by 16 feet wide, but when we move houses we will have a larger basement room home theater"
Based on this, I'd get the Plus/2. I have the ISD/2 now, but I'm in a smaller room (16x16) and it works fine for me there.

Get a sub with 'growing room'.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
im thinking the plus 2 would be the better choice in the long run like you said, it wil have more performance in the lower ranges or frequencies
You are correct in your thinking. The PB12-Plus/2 has roughly 50% more output capability (around 3 dB) than the PB12-ISD/2 in the common bass ranges. In the lower regions...below 30 Hz, the PB12-Plus/2 advantage will exceed even more.
Quote:
so are you guys sa ing that a sub will perform better if it only has one 12 inch driver
Different SVS subs have different drivers and we (Forum members) have a way of complicating things by bringing more options into the mix. ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh

well the site says the plus2 has 900 watts , w hich someone above mentioned it has 1000 because the website is a mis print.

so is that 500 watts per driver ?

is that how that works

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.