AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a microphone (audio in) with the "Phones" jack on the front of my receiver? Are those jacks bi-directional?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Doubt it very much that its anything but headphones out. If you need someone to check the manual for you you'd need to at least post make/model of the receiver. Microphone in would be labeled as such generally and the only mic in on my avrs is for the measurement mic for the room correction software IIRC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I checked my manual (Onkyo HT-S7500) but it's vague. Would there be any way to do audio in?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I'm sure there's audio in, but probably only in the form of line level inputs. Are you trying to do some live music or something?

ps Just took a peek at your manual (the receiver is actually the HT-R791 btw). It does have the mic input for the setup only (and if like mine when you connect to this input the setup routine is the only option).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For our wedding, we're using the receiver with an iPod IN, and wanted a Mic to go with it to introduce people, speeches, etc. Basically we want to use the same system. And actually, to clarify, we're not using my Onkyo - we're using an old Sherwood. I was referencing the Onkyo since the Phones jacks are (I'm assuming) the same.

The iPod will be going into two RCA ports on the back, but I'm thinking about picking up a 1/4" -> dual-RCA adapter, then an RCA splitter, so both the Mic and the iPod can plug into the same line-in. Recommended?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
What Sherwood? Older units were more mic friendly, I know some of my past receivers had actual mic inputs for recording purposes. Your connection method might work but I've never tried anything like that....what mic are you using? I did a brief search and came up with this http://www.avsforum.com/t/852346/how-to-hookup-microphone-to-receiver so you might want to do some searching....

ps Congratulations and best wishes

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not entirely sure. It's at the venue. I snapped a picture of the front and the back, but the model number or name isn't visible unfortunately.

I chatted with an agent at Monoprice to get some advice on the parts they offer and the guy suggested using an RCA splitter and have the iPod and the Mic share the AUX In input. The unit only has RCA inputs (TAPE, CD, AUX). I supposed I could have the Mic go into one of the other inputs, but then we'd have to switch inputs each time which might get annoying. But, I think I've got a solution for both scenarios.

Do you guys have any thoughts towards these ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts