AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a crt user have been for many years now, my primary unit is a Ehome 8111 with about 510hrs total time it was a demo unit I picked-up cheep. Well the quest is this I also have a mitz rptv hd 65" which is what my kids use for regular viewing also a crt. I freak when I see a still image of any kind, and keep in mind for my ehome the room has to be fairly dark. My kids love waching the big screen but I'm afraid of neglect and damage. Like most pic quality is of the up-most, but also need some kind of room lights for the kiddos. I just bought a sharp xg-p10xu bright oh my God bright, but blacks look grey and to me pixels are still noticeable, not as bad as some I seen since this is a 1024x768 native panels with an addressable 1600x1200 max resolution. Brightness of 3000 ansi lumes, fully automated with all the bells and whistles. I got lucky on this unit also with practacly a new buld only 331hrs of use. Considering the jvc G1000, from what I've been reading pic is as close to crt as they come but what about brightness and blacks? Can this unit be watched with some lights on? If so I like to trade in the sharp for a used g1000, or sell this unit to purchase a G1000. Can anyone comment? Or better yet any screen shots of a G1000 in action?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
D-ila will deliver a nice, smooth picture resulting from the high fill-factor, but like the Sharp you mentioned it will be with a rather high black level compared to your CRT. And what good is having a maximum resolution of 1600x1200 if it can only display XGA (this can be said for any display)?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know crts basically don't have a native resolution since the capabilities are dependent of the electronics and the raster meaning abilities of the tubes. As digital abilies tho addressable like my sharp only will accept but not resolve any higher resolution than the chips native desing. If I got that right I hope. But still will the D-ila deliver the film like quality the crts are known for? In other words reduced pixlelization?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Go and see one in action. It'll all become 100% clear to you.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Rob, I am not saying that any LCoS-based projector will be short on reolsution, but that any fixed pixel display beyond its native resolution cannot display more than its native resolution.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
There are 2 camps....one that love Dila/Lcos and the one that doesn't. Each type of projector has a different look to it, so that is why it is best to view one. The Dilas tend to have a very filmlike, smooth image....great for movies and such. There main downside is the black levels. The latest units (HX2, HD2K from JVC) tend to have decent black levels, especially if calibrated by William. Older models like the G1000, G10, G11, etc... though they still will have a nice smooth image, tend to have dark gray blacks.

It just depends on your wants/needs. If black levels are most important, then Dila is probably not the best option. If they aren't all that critical, and a smoother image is wanted, it might be worth considering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.