Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members,

Please HELP !!!!

After reading about haft of these posts, I am ready to buy a Japan model sony 11ht over the sharp 9000. I have seen the Sharp at a dealer here in Sacramento and i am very impressed with the picture. I will buy the sony without looking at it :-( since I dont know of a dealer here that has it on display. The sales person had told me LCd technogies are easier to watch, translate, less eye fatigue. He had pearl harbor on at the time and I notice it was a little tiring on the eyes after about 15 mins. Also the sharp cost $1.2K more to buy. I plan to go cheap with the da-lite screen for about 300 dollars. I would buy the $2k screen if I have the money even if I get to see a 5% improvement in picture quality :)

My questions are if I was to get the sony for $4K, is it a plug and play here in the US once I get it ? Would the picture be that much better if I were to spend the extra $1.2K and get the sharp ? Or should I just go really cheap and get the panasonic 100 for like $1.4K and upgrade a few yrs later ? How much of a picture improvement going from the lowest price unit to the sharp 9000 with the above 3 PJs ?

My room is fairly bright and I also would like to watch it during day time, but a few people I have talk to say that is impossible even with the sanyo 21n .... so there goes the decision to not go with this unit. Am I asking too much from a front pj ?

I want to thanks all the people that posted here. Their comments were such a joy to read.

Le

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Le

I would seriously recommend viewing any unit you plan on purchasing before you purchase it. It is the only way to be sure you are making the right decision. While DLP technology certainly has its faults so does LCD. At the recent Home Entertainment Expo I found that the screen door effect of LCD technology is far too noticable for my particular tastes. As always though your opinion/experiences may differ from mine.

Good luck with whatever projector you may choose.

Chris

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you want to watch with a high level of ambient light you should consider a Stewart Firehawk screen as indespensible, and perhaps even more important than your choice of projector. They are available from Jason here at AVS for under $1,000 if you don't require any fancy electrical masking.

There is no LCD projector that I have seen that is even close to the image quality of the latest 16:9 DLPs. The real issue is whether you are sensitive to rainbows or eye fatigue that are still encountered by some folks. From many posts around here you need to spend at least an hour or two to see if your eyes adjust or not.

As an alternative to the Sharp you ought to try to see the new HP xb31 just introduced with a street price of only about $3,500.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I can watch my LCD endlessly, wheras I found my DLP pretty fatiguing. I think it is a pretty big deal. I would watch a movie on the DLP and I would think it was great and all, but then I would want to do something else. When I got the LCD (aside from the improved color, contrast and apparent detail) I never wanted to quit watching. We watch double features all the time. And somehow, and there is no way to measure or confirm this, it just feels more relaxing to watch. My eyes don't have to search so hard to see what's there. The family seems to have had the same reaction. Had an LP350/CD555 now have 21N/38t.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JHouse,

If that is the case, then DLP units have very hi no. of WAF rating. at least for me anyway. :)

Does anyone know where I can see the sony 11wt in action in the Sacramento region ?

Carl,

So if I get the Firehawk, can I expect the picture to be very close to the brightness of the rptv with hi ambient light or am I expecting too much from the front projector ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more thing Carl,

Have u seen the HP xb31? how good is it compare to the sharp 9000 ? $3.5k is the exact price that I want to spend on a pj so that would be perfect.

thanks,

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Le,

I'm afraid that the Firehawk is still not as good as a RPTV for daytime viewing. I used my Sony XBR2 for that until it crapped out recently. But I can view my Marantz/Firehawk during mid-day with some pretty flimsy curtains pulled. It's not as convincing as watching at night but better than any projector has a right to be.

My wife thinks that the image of the Marantz/Firehawk is so much better than any other digital projector we have seen that to her it's our best ever AV purchase. And January was her 3rd CES looking specifically for projectors.

The new HP xb31 uses a 4:3 version of the new DLP2 device. Its brighter than the Sharp with almost twice the contrast. With a 4:3 DMD is probably not quite as detailed as any of the 16:9 DMD projectors for HDTV but overall it ought to be a new standard for the bucks if you are not bothered by the rainbow bug.

BTW when folks complain about the rainbows make sure they are talking about the latesst generation of color wheels that are very much better than what was available in 2001. And many lower cost DLPs still use the last generation colorwheels. NO I'm not among the handful that have actually seen the new HP yet. If you look at the xb31 thread on the

Be careful on evaluating the rumours of something new just around the door. At CES in January DWIN was predicting Feb deliveries of their new DLP and it still isn't available. TI was also bragging about a 43" TV using their DLP device that would sell for about $3k. Two emails to the manufacturer have not received any concrete information on either specs or availability. There is as much vaporware here as there is in the PC world and price/performance is trending down as fast too!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Le-

I own a 10HT and have seen the 9000 in action also. Is the 9000 better? Yes! Is it enough to make me switch? Absolutely not.

Also, even though the latest generation of DLP's have much less problems with rainbows, some people still see them. I am not particularily suseptable to them, but everytime I have guests over, I don't want to be worrying that perhaps one of my guests is seeing rainbows instead of enjoying an otherwise great image.

One thing to certainly consider if you do go with an 11HT, is to do a SMART calibration, which greatly improves black levels and contrast. There are several threads in this forum. You can also click on the link in my signature below to learn more about SMART.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hello Le140,

I have a SMART calibrated 11HT with a CC40R filter. Before I bought the 11Ht, I previewed the Sharp 9000. I think that the picture on the Sharp was conceivably a little better than my out-of-the-box 11HT. After the calibration though, I think the 11Ht has a slight edge in picture quality. I'm projecting onto an 11 foot ( diag) 16 X 9 screen. You can only see the screen door if you get closer than 10 feet from the screen. My viewing area is 19 feet away, and from there, all you can see is a great picture.

As for brightness, the 11Ht is a little brighter than the Sharp 9000. However, I would not recommend that you watch ANY front projector with the lights on. If your lights MUST be on, I would look into something else. Yes, you will still be able to watch with the lights on, but not nearly at the same level of quality.

Gus

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Oh boy, so wives love Firehawks. Man, that is just what I need to hear!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Unfortunately for me, the Firehawk wasn't out yet when I bought my Da-lite. I'd do anything for a little WAF improvement.:D

Gus

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
What my wife likes in particular with the Firehawk, in addition to a great image, is the freedom to have a small light on while viewing so she can do needlework or read the TV guide. When any lights in the room totally wash out the image its a pain in the ass. Ambient light isn't nearly as offensive with a Firehawk.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
My wife often makes me have a not so small reading lamp two other small wattage area lamps on. I've got my son trained to complain, so he and I are gradually gaining ground. Still, the projector doesn't do anything near what I would call "wash out" though I can clearly tell there is a significant improvement when the lights go out (though the rooms still stays pretty light due to the brightness of the projector and the light color of the ceiling, walls and floor.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
What is it with wives and leaving the light on during a movie? This is a requirement of my wife, also. The picture, even with a pretty bright G15, is certainly harmed by the blasted light she often must have on but it doesn't seem to bother her. I don't get it. Art

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Mine reads magazines and claims to watch the movie at the same time. Thinks she is multi-tasking. I thinks its half-tasked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have any of u guys seen the sanyo 21n vs. the sony11ht in action ? Because of PJcentral's great review on the 21N, that's one unit I am looking at also.

I got to get all my toys before I get the wife :) more flexibility for me don't u think ?

thank you all for your inputs.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I personally never plan on having a wife (i'm 24). I do have a girlfriend, so I guess there is a GAF involved, so to speak. But the way I see it, if the girlfriend doesn't like the toys, she can deal with it or take a hike.

That's the key advantage of the GAF over the WAF.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
And boy I tell ya - if my girlfriend ever tried to leave a light on during a movie, I'd tell her that Motel 6 was leaving a light on for HER.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Another major problem with LCD is the vertical banding which annoys me to no end. I traded my Cinema 13-hd for a Sharp 9000 and the picture on the Sharp is much better in my opinion.

Andy

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The only time I ever saw vertical banding was when I was fooling around with the settings on my LP350. I have no such banding on my 21N/38t.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.