Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to figure out which projector to purchase. In an attempt to determine if I want the PLV-70, I downloaded the manual from Sanyo.

On Page six it says the following:

"This projector provides 1366 x 768 dots resolution for computer input and 800 horizontal TV lines. Resolution from a computer between XGA (1024x768) and SXGA (1280x1024) is compressed into 1024X768 dots. This projector cannot display image of over 1280x1024 dots. When resolution of your computer is over than 1280x1024, rest the computer output for lower resolution."

My question:

If HDTV is either 1920x1080i or 1280x720P, 1280x720P being the HDTV mode of the PLV-70, wouldn't it fall into the category of SXGA and therefore be compressed down to 1024x768 as it states in the manual? This isn't HDTV is it?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
The input from a computer is handled differently than the RGB input from a component cable. I have the Studio Experience 20HD which is the clone of the Sanyo PLV-70 and it does handle HDTV quite well. When it comes to digital projectors, I don't even know if there are any that can truely handle 1920x1080, other than the upcoming one from sony.

When I say handle, I mean show it in it's true resolution. You can feed the PLV-70 a 1080i signal from your satallite or cable HD box and it will display it nicely, but since the LCD panel in it is only 1366x768, that's what resolution it will down-rezzed to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James,

I understand that no projectors in this prices range do 1920x1080i and should of left it out of the message.

Are you saying that if I give it a signal from my HDTV tuner via component cables it will show HDTV, but If I send a signal from a computer the max res is really 1024x768 because it's getting compressed. Does the DIV port get compressed to 1024x768.

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
No....if you are sending a signal from your computer you will want to set up your computer to display 1360x768 so that you are sending "nearly" the naitive signal to the projector. For the VGA input the maximum resolution that is usable is 1280x1024, and if you use that, the projector will then resize it to a 1024x768 signal and then upscale it to the size of the panel (1366x768).

This is the best link for this projector since it has links to all the different discussions about it, including setting it up for use with the computer and making the customer resolution using powerstrip.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=plv70

I wish I could give you better answers, but I have just finished my home theater myself and am finally starting to delve into getting it fully set up, but it is quite a stunning projector.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I demo'ed a PLV-70 this past weekend and was quite impressed with the HD picture quality. The demo was at a fellow AVS forum member's house and I took along my HiPix HTPC with pre-recorded HDTV signals, all in 1080i, to use as source material. We used the analog computer input on the PLV-70 for the test (not the DVI input). Both of us agreed the HD signals looked awesome. I currently am using Hitachi 53SDX01B 53" CRT rear projection unit as my HD monitor and the PLV-70 provided more detail on the same 1080i program content. I did not have any 720p playback material to use during the PLV-70 demo.

I was most impressed with the extremely small screen door artifacts diplsayed by the PLV-70. I viewed the image on a 16:9, 106" diagonal matt white Da-Lite screen- I was sitting about 10 feet from the screen. The projector was about 16 feet from the screen, ceiling mounted (inverted).

The pre-recorded 1080i HDTV images looked sharper, clearer and crisper on the PLV-70 than my Hitachi 53SDX01B. I used the 2003 Grammys, an episode of CSI, the 4th quarter of the Oakland Radiers vs. New York Jets AFC Playoff game and several PBS short features, including "Visions of Southern Italy" containing footage of helicopter fly-overs and "Alabama vs. Auburn" college football game as source material. As mentioned all material was 1080i.

DVD playback at 480i looked good on the PLV-70 (using the analog component inputs playing from a Panasonic DVD player w/Faroujda decoding) but the high def material coming in on the analog computer input definately looked better.

For some reason, the PLV-70 kept defaulting to 1035i with the 1080i video being fed to it. Anybody have any insight on this?

Hope this helps. This demo sold me on the PLV-70.

Andre'

·
Registered
32,172 Posts

1035i is the Japanese HD resolution. There is probably a setting to fix this for U.S. HDTV.

Mark

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi Rogo -

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't see any image quality difference changing the PLV-70 from 1035i to 1080i, probably because both were being scaled down to the native resolution.

Do you know if anyone has figured the magic way to get into the PLV's service menu?

Andre'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.