AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Primus 360's and a primus PC350 center and I was just wondering if the PS212 sub was a good value? Or should I go with a diff less expensive 12" sub? The bass from the 360's is fair enough but my receiver doesnt have 6-8 channel direct bass managment.. so i need a sub. thanx

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have the ps-12, but I just ordered the PS-212 cause I have alot of confidence in the infinity subwoofers. I wanted to add another quality subwoofer next to my ps-12. I believe that the quality of the infinity subs are excellent. I was able to get the sub on Ebay for 350.00 shipped. If anyone has one please leave a review. I will leave a review as soon as I test mine out.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I just got my PS212 and tried it out with the movie the Grudge 2. The sub is working and looking great with some nice tight bass that can blow you socks off. This is a great sub that I would recommend it to anyone that wants a sub that can deliver excellent sound.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Sorry, but infinity just hasn't been pulling its weight in the subwoofer department, their PS8, 10, 12 and even their SW12 are not very good values, even at far less than MSRP. They can give somewhat decent sound at moderate volumes, but just don't have the headroom to deliver good bass. Also, they do not do anything down deep, a decent sub will have usable performance down to 20Hz and below, infinities definitely do not. If you want to save money, you could go with a BIC Acoustech H100, If you can afford a little more though, I'd get something like an HSU VTF-2MKIII.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Eh, not sure where you get your information, the PS-12 has twice the power of the H100, and they both go down to 24hZ +-3dB. And Infinity stuff is engineered in a very high-tech way, every tolerance is measured, and they test the heck out of their stuff.

Its true that Infinity approach low frequency extension a bit more cautiously than some of the Internet brands, but this is because they do not want any distortion. So you may loose a couple dBs of extension, but you may gain a bit more musicality.

Even the VTF2Mk3 you mentioned only has 250 RMS. Yes it will get down to 18hZ, but you have to put it in this special mode which sacrifices musicality.

The sleeper Infinity sub is the wonderful CSW-10: tight base down to 22hz with no gimmicks, 650 RMS, in a 10 inch sub. Plus it has RABOS room correction. Expensive though.

I own the 12 inch 50RMSmodel with RABOSroom correction. RABOS measures this sub down to around 23hz before it started losing dBs, and it has lots of juice. Very tight, clean bass.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Don't let armystud talk you out of your choice. this forum is full of people that don't like anything but SVS or HSU. The BIC is basically an HSU anyway. I'm not knocking those products at all. They make great subs, but so does Infinity. The BIC has specs very similar to the BIC and should be on par. The HSU is not really in the same class as the other two and really should not be compared. As soon as anyone mentions wanting any advice on subs around here the SVS and HSU fans come out of the woodwork. Enjoy your new sub and don't worry about what others think they know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think it is a good value. I picked up a PS 12 last summer for about $250. At that price it was a great deal. The 212 looks to be the same sub, but with even more power, 400 watts instead of 300 like the PS12 had.

Here is a review comparing the PS12 to SVS and 2 other subs. It faired pretty well:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ontenders.html

Yes, SVS and HSU subs can give you lower extension down below 25 Hz. But they cost more. Show me a sub that goes below 24 Hz for the same price as the Infinity.

The BIC 100 only has a 150 watt amp, not sure why armystud would recommend that over the Infinity if he is concerned about headroom. Perhaps he is upset because his cat blew up his Infinity speakers

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
After purchasing the PS212 and trying it on quite a few movies I have come to the conclusion that this subwoofer is worth the money and then some. I have gone back and watched movies that didn't have any bass with my previous subwoofer. With the ps212 the movies are much more enjoyable with this bass pounding sub. I got a great deal on ebay on this sub. It is totally worth the money. Yes, I know SVS and HSU are good subs but for the price you can not beat the Infinity. Anyone looking for a sub with exceptional power and excellent price take a look at the infinity PS212.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I purchased a PS-212 a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the power and extension this subwoofer provided. So I got rid of my PS-12 and bought a second PS-212. Now I have two PS-212 in my home theater and WOW these subwoofers are great. I am very happy with the performance of these subwoofers. Great sub for the money will highly recommend to anyone who wants bone shivering bass.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a IL100s subwoofer which is the Interlude 10" model. I won a free Premier Acoustics 12" sub from HT Forum (this is the upgraded BIC 100-same driver, more powerful amp). The Infinity spanks this sub. I just sent back an HSU VTF-3MKII. Yes it had more output but my 10" Infinity is a true sleeper. It smacked around the Dayton Audio Titanic-10" version.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I will be the first to admit I have room response issues. I seem to get a much tighter response from the smaller subs. I have tried the Earthquake supernova 10" sub, Titanic 10" sealed sub, HSU VTF-2, HSU VTF-3-mkII, SVS 20-39, and the SVS pb-10. I also tried a Infinity 12" model-the primus series?

I had no success with the SVS 20-39 or the HSU vtf-3mkII. They were moved over to the right just 2' but it totally messed up the response. A huge peak around 60hz for both subs. The best response I have heard (IN MY ROOM) is from the original HSU VTF-2, followed by the pb-10 just ahead of the IL100s.

In the spot I have the IL100s, it is a true "sleeper." I picked this up for $200 shipped based upon the tests results (Tom Nousine)where it spanked the old JBL s120pII in the 20hz range.

Right now, my other speakers are the Klipsch RF-35 series with an HK avr-435.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.