AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy either the Ln55b650 or the Ln52b750 .They have the 650 at Best Buy near me but they dont have the 750 so I cannot compare the two.I want the biggest tv for the money but dont want to sacrifice picture quality.The 650 is $300 cheaper than the 750 right now.I will be using either tv for gaming and movies for thr most part.

· Registered
360 Posts
I have the 650 and not impressed. Flash lighting in the corners, blueish tint to black screens. I think it is going back. Only thing I like is the clear panel over the matte of my ln52a550. Great price of under $2000 though.........

· Registered
6,242 Posts
To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, "Is the Samsung ln55b650 good enough," I would have to say for 99.9% of the people buying one, I would have to say, "Yes," assuming the 55" version is as good as my 37B650 and the 46A650 that I also own. I have no discernable flashinglighting on either of my 650s and they both have extremely black (not bluish) blacks.

However, I think each person has to decide what's "good enough" for them. In my eyes, my 650s are perfect and that's all that matters.

· Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16850939

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, "Is the Samsung ln55b650 good enough," I would have to say for 99.9% of the people buying one, I would have to say, "Yes," assuming the 55" version is as good as my 37B650 and the 46A650 that I also own. I have no discernable flashinglighting on either of my 650s and they both have extremely black (not bluish) blacks.

However, I think each person has to decide what's "good enough" for them. In my eyes, my 650s are perfect and that's all that matters.

You are right it all depends on the person and their usage. My parents just bought a ln55b650 and love it, but they never watch tv in the dark, now me on the other hand use it as a pc monitor and a bedroom tv, so the only time I watch a movie on it is in the dark, and for that it is not that good. But for less than $2000, its a good deal. My parents just replaced their 4 year old dead DPL that they spent $4500 for, so to them this is a much better tv for less than half the $'s. Its all in how picky you are and how you use it. The original poster was talking about viewing movies and great quality. The blueish tint thing and the flashlighting kills movies for me. I almost enjoy watching my ln52a550 more than this tv, but I love the ultra clear panels color pop, much more. Toss up..........

· Registered
6,827 Posts
I bought an LN55B650 before July the 4th and got the great price on the TV and talked BB into knocking off 50 bucks since I was taking it home myself. Mine is setup in my media room and there is no natural lighting but I have 6 recessed lights on in the room at full power except when watching movies (which I use a projector and not the TV). My screen is fairly uniform but I do see blueish corners from time to time when there are black bars on the screen.

B650 vs B750 quick comparison

After reading CNet's review I decided to pickup a B750 and compare the two. When you compare the B650 and B750 be certain you have both at the same height and are on the same viewing angle on both of them. I hadn't realized how much of viewing angles that these LCDs really have. After comparing the two the difference was minimal at best. I set both TVs to the exact same settings and the colors on the B750 were ever so slightly better and the blueish tint was only slightly better. And if you go off-axis in the slightest amount then at that point one wasn't much better than the other. The B750 had less detail in dark areas and it kind of looked like the B750 had black tone set to low over the B650 making it "appear" to have better black levels. When I compaed the two in a pitch black room the B750's black levels were no different than the B650s.

My conclusion

IMO, the differences between the B750 and the B650 were just mostly hype. Very little difference between the two and for me I chose to take 3" more of screen size and $300 with the B650 and live with the red TOC and the chin.
The B650 is a very nice TV for the money IMO. I just wish LCD could handle motion better on fast moving objects.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr600 /forum/post/16851226

You are right it all depends on the person and their usage. My parents just bought a ln55b650 and love it, but they never watch tv in the dark, now me on the other hand use it as a pc monitor and a bedroom tv, so the only time I watch a movie on it is in the dark, and for that it is not that good. But for less than $2000, its a good deal. My parents just replaced their 4 year old dead DPL that they spent $4500 for, so to them this is a much better tv for less than half the $'s. Its all in how picky you are and how you use it. The original poster was talking about viewing movies and great quality. The blueish tint thing and the flashlighting kills movies for me. I almost enjoy watching my ln52a550 more than this tv, but I love the ultra clear panels color pop, much more. Toss up..........

I watch movies in the dark also and what you just said above made up my mind to buy the Ln52b750.Thanks.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16851612

I bought an LN55B650 before July the 4th and got the great price on the TV and talked BB into knocking off 50 bucks since I was taking it home myself. Mine is setup in my media room and there is no natural lighting but I have 6 recessed lights on in the room at full power except when watching movies (which I use a projector and not the TV). My screen is fairly uniform but I do see blueish corners from time to time when there are black bars on the screen.

After reading CNet's review I decided to pickup a B750 and compare the two. When you compare the B650 and B750 be certain you have both at the same height and are on the same viewing angle on both of them. I hadn't realized how much of viewing angles that these LCDs really have. After comparing the two the difference was minimal at best. I set both TVs to the exact same settings and the colors on the B750 were ever so slightly better and the blueish tint was only slightly better. And if you go off-axis in the slightest amount then at that point one wasn't much better than the other. The B750 had less detail in dark areas and it kind of looked like the B750 had black tone set to low over the B650 making it "appear" to have better black levels. When I compaed the two in a pitch black room the B750's black levels were no different than the B650s.

My conclusion

IMO, the differences between the B750 and the B650 were just mostly hype. Very little difference between the two and for me I chose to take 3" more of screen size and $300 with the B650 and live with the red TOC and the chin.
The B650 is a very nice TV for the money IMO. I just wish LCD could handle motion better on fast moving objects.

Hope that helps.

So you seen no flashlighting on the 650?What about the motion difference of the 2?

· Registered
6,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/16851646

So you seen no flashlighting on the 650?What about the motion difference of the 2?

I just turned off the lights and turned the PS3 on and paused a HD trailer on an all black screen and no obvious flashlights. The screen was not perfectly uniform but you'd never notice it unless you were looking for it. I do see blueish corners in 4:3 material depend on what's on the screen but not flashlighting as I understand it.

As far as motion goes I really couldn't see any noticeable difference. Especially when you are talking $300. My PS3 outputs to my Denon receiver and I split the output through a powered HDMI splitter. One to the B650 and the other to my projector. When I compared the two TVs I simply disconnected the projector and connected the B750. My main test on motion was MLB 09 the show. Whenever you throw the ball to first base in the infield you can see ghosting/motion blur on either TVs. One looked the same as the other (this doesn't happen on the plasma that I had before it). The reviews also said the motion difference between the two was hardly noticeable as well.

Be aware that I was ready to keep the B750 and that was the intention. And actually I talked them down to 2100 so the price difference was only $150 but PQ differences were minimal at best. The CNET review has me scratching my head wondering where they got this "special" B750 from

· Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16851735

I just turned off the lights and turned the PS3 on and paused a HD trailer on an all black screen and no obvious flashlights. The screen was not perfectly uniform but you'd never notice it unless you were looking for it. I do see blueish corners in 4:3 material depend on what's on the screen but not flashlighting as I understand it.

:.

Blueish corners on this tv is the flashlighting. I don't know why it is blue and not just a lighter black as it is in most other lcd's. There must be a blueish tint to the screen?

· Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16851612

My conclusion

IMO, the differences between the B750 and the B650 were just mostly hype.Very little difference between the two and for me I chose to take 3" more of screen size and $300 with the B650 and live with the red TOC and the chin.

Hope that helps.

What possible reason would CNET hype the B750 over the B650? If one was a Sony and the other a Samsung i could see a hype. But CNET had no motive to hype the B750 other than the fact it performed in certain areas better than the B650.

· Registered
6,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/16852384

What possible reason would CNET hype the B750 over the B650? If one was a Sony and the other a Samsung i could see a hype. But CNET had no motive to hype the B750 other than the fact it performed in certain areas better than the B650.

I'm not saying they 'hyped' the B750 for a reason. I just don't see the differences they noted giving the B750 a 1/2 star higher rating over the B650. With the two setup side by side the B750 obviously suppressed lower level detail which would likely cut out some of the blueish tint but I could get similar results on the B650 by lowering brightness. Blueish tint on 4:3 bars could be seen a little more on the B650 however if you go ever so slightly off-axis then the B750 wasn't much better. Since the reviewers were reviewing multiple displays it just makes me wonder how careful the reviewers were to ensure their opinions were take but ensuring they looked at all the TVs using the same viewing angle. I had both TVs ~5 inches at the same height. If I sat in the middle of the B650 then the B750s corners looked more blue than the B650. These TVs are that sensitive to viewing angles.

Like I said, I was fully ready and expecting to keep the B750 over the B650 but after viewing the two side by side there just wasn't much of a difference (at least with the two units I demoed).

· Registered
6,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr600 /forum/post/16852134

Blueish corners on this tv is the flashlighting. I don't know why it is blue and not just a lighter black as it is in most other lcd's. There must be a blueish tint to the screen?

It's not blue corners all the time though. Sometimes there's no blue in the corners. It depends on the content on the screen. Sometimes they have some blue and sometimes they don't. I thought flashlighting was corners being consistently lighter.

Just to make note. If I sat directly in the middle of the B750 4:3 bars looked fine. On the B650 maybe a tad bit in one corner. However with these TVs inches apart if I moved in between both of them(B750 on the left and B650 on the right) on 4:3 bars I saw blueish tint on the left 4:3 bar on the B750 and a blueish tint on the right 4:3 bar on the B650. This tells me that once you go off center the PQ degrades. So in the end I just decided that once I go ever so slightly off axis that one is going to have issues as much as the other is. I think if you had natural lighting in the room you probably wouldn't see this.

· Registered
6,827 Posts
Are you in the sweet spot when you see it? My screen looks pretty uniform on an all black screen. Now if I go to the right 30 degrees or so then the left side has lighter corners or vice versa.

Maybe I just got a good B650 and that's why the B750 didn't look much better.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16853379

It's not blue corners all the time though. Sometimes there's no blue in the corners. It depends on the content on the screen. Sometimes they have some blue and sometimes they don't. I thought flashlighting was corners being consistently lighter.

Just to make note. If I sat directly in the middle of the B750 4:3 bars looked fine. On the B650 maybe a tad bit in one corner. However with these TVs inches apart if I moved in between both of them(B750 on the left and B650 on the right) on 4:3 bars I saw blueish tint on the left 4:3 bar on the B750 and a blueish tint on the right 4:3 bar on the B650. This tells me that once you go off center the PQ degrades. So in the end I just decided that once I go ever so slightly off axis that one is going to have issues as much as the other is. I think if you had natural lighting in the room you probably wouldn't see this.

Great info.I have to get my tv at Dell because I have a Dell card and do not have the cash to buy at another store,so my options are limited.I wish I had the option to look at plasmas or led"s,so basically I am stuck with the 650 or 750 which is not all bad but all this great info is making my choice harder lol!

· Registered
6,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/16853603

Great info.I have to get my tv at Dell because I have a Dell card and do not have the cash to buy at another store,so my options are limited.I wish I had the option to look at plasmas or led"s,so basically I am stuck with the 650 or 750 which is not all bad but all this great info is making my choice harder lol!

I had a Pioneer 6020 before this. It definitely did some things better than the B650 but still this is a very nice TV. Especially for the money. Plasmas do some things better than LCDs while LCDs are better at other things. Both technologies have their issues. If either of those TVs are your only options, you can still feel rest assured that you'll get one of the best TVs out there now.

I'm certain that I notice the blue more than most in the LCD forums because I had a Pioneer TV before it(sold it to get a cheaper TV because I went front projection for movies) which in my media room held black levels incredibly well.

· Registered
477 Posts
Just brought home a LN55B650 after using a LN46B650 for a month. Thought I would just make a good thing bigger. What a mistake. The 55" does not use the same LCD panel as the 46", and is terrible as far as off-angle / flashlights / blue-blacks go.

I just watched a 1080i movie in the dark and could not get over the brightening of everything at either side of the screen, anything not dead center. And yes, I know how to "calibrate" it -or rather how to set it nice and dark, with blacks as black as can be, with no crushing. (Movie mode, backlight 4, brightness 44, no gimmicks turned on)

The 55" is much worse than the 46" at slightly off angle. Looking at the 55", dead center, 10 feet away, in the dark, you see 1/3 of the left and 1/3 of the right is lighter. Unbelievable.

Then I read on this forum about the different panel technologies Samsung uses in different models, and sure enough, the 55" is NOT the same panel as the 46" - the 46" is made by Samsung (S-PVA technology) and the 55" is made by CMO (not S-PVA technology).

I'm a digital photographer, and a "pixel peeper" - so I even remember the shape of the pixels: square on the 46", s-shaped on the 55" and much more dead space/black space between them.

It's going back.

I understand the 52" B750 has the better S-PVA panel. I'll give up 3 inches for better off angle viewing. All four of us need to watch movies in the dark :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.