AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I read in an earlier thread ( a bit dated though-mid 2007) that Sharp might possibly be discontinuing this model, however, I see it on Sharp's website. According to the specs on Sharp's website, it says it's 1080p, but when I try to find the MSRP and various prices on the internet, all I'm getting is a model with 720p.

Am I missing a number that differentiates between the model #s for 1080p vs 720p? I was quoted 6,200 by a HT dealer and just want to do a sanity check. Also, what do you guys think of the following set-up:

Sharp XV-Z2000

Stewart 100"

Marantz SR 8002

Pioneer Elite BDP-95HD

B&W 804S, along with center, 4 in-walls and sub

I'm a newbie but very interested in building a home theater in our basement. Any comments about the above set-up is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm baffled by my $6,200 quote then. I wish they used different model #s because it can get quite confusing.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The projector you are talking about at a price above 6000$ must be the 20000 which I have and it is a 1080p machine. Rumors about this model being discontinued or sharp leaving the HT market are still premature and not validated.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 /forum/post/12870701

I'm baffled by my $6,200 quote then. I wish they used different model #s because it can get quite confusing.

The MSRP on the Sharp 20K is $7,000 so $6,200 is a reasonable discount price.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frank, I'm curious whether you are happy with the Sharp? Do you think my current set-up matches well with it? What are you using with it and what are your dimensions. Our basement space for the HT will be around 15x29, but we have a steel beam right at 15' so I'm hoping we can still squeeze in the sharp projector and get a 100" screen.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The sharp 20000 needs to be a 'minimum' of 14' from a 100" screen which is the screen size I am operating with right now. My room size is 19'x13'. Am I happy with the sharp? Yes and IMO it has the best contrast performance of any other DLP single chip I have ever seen. I have total light control so the brightness ratings for this model are irrelevant. It is the sharpest projector I have ever seen aside from the marantz offerings which use the same konica-minolta lens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts