Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

does anyone know if the Silver-Star is available as a pulldown screen?

And does anyone know how the screen works in detail? As there is a patent pending they should not have a problem with making the theory public.

Best Regards

Roland

·
Registered
703 Posts
Vutec did show a retractable version of the Silverstar at Cedia which they said would be available sometime in late fall.

The Silverstar coating is applied to a semi-rigid substrate possibly a polyethylene material that can be rolled into it's case without curling or waving when it is extended.

It looked very good. I'm sure this will be a popular choice for people with multi-purpose rooms.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Important to note that they were explaining that while an electric, rolldown version would be made available, a manual, pulldown was essentially impossible. The magic of the emulsion and laminates means that a pulldown would simply become damaged over time and therefore would not work out right.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

thanks for all of you for the answers.

The good news: It can be rollable :-(

The bad news: Only motorized :-(

That will make it still more expensive as it already is.

Did they mention an price target?

Best Regards

Roland

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, they said it would cost more money than the fixed Silverstar. They did not say how much more.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you give me an estimate what a 71"*40" fixed Silverstar would cost? I do not know any prices, only that this screen is expensive...

Roland

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have one of those screen, RoBro... But it was purchased on a forum powerbuy here.

Normal price is $60/sq. ft + some extra depending on which frame you get.

However, most products carry a 40% dealer margin so discounts are quite possible.

I have no idea what Vutec's distribution is like in Germany.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Is there any reason it would not be possible to mount the Silverstar in a frame and use a hinge (on the ceiling) and pulley (with rope/whatever attached to the bottom of the screen) to raise and lower the screen? It would be a bit cheesy but it seems like it would take very little space with the screen up.

In the up position, the screen would be parallel with the ceiling.

The descriptions of this screen make it sound like a piece of rigid styrofoam. If that was the case (and it's light but relatively nonflexible), a frame might be optional.

Just wondering,

Mark

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
The only thing that would concern me about such a setup would be the potential for the screen to sag in the middle over time. I'm not sure the foamboard would support its own weight in the horizontal position. So if I were to do this I'd probably want to reinforce the frame somehow, and it would probably end up being rather heavy.

If you have sufficient headroom in the attic, you could retract it vertically.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
If you have sufficient headroom in that ridiculous hat, maybe you could retract it vertically, too, Michael. :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, I didn't think that the Silverstar is that expensive. I wonder if the manufacturing process is so expensive or if they just sell it for that price because it is just incredible good.

Roland

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
RoBro, Good screens cost money. Stewart's screens are pricey, too.

Michael, yes, but I thought it was decently amusing for now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I HOPE ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE POSTED HEREcome to CES this january to see the new rolldown version of Silverstar and can prepared to be totally awe inspired at the presentation at CES

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Man, I wish they would post info on this publicly. I have a hole cut and framed in the ceiling waiting for the finish carpentry, and I'd sure like to make sure it's compatible with a future SilverStar retractable... a StudioTek 130 is going into it now but I'm itching to upgrade once I get the chance. Does anyone know approximately how tall & how deep the case is? (Depth is really the kicker for me) And does the screen come down from the back of the case or from the front?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.