AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is looking to play from an iPod while it works out. It needs to be able to have decent volume since the room he's in deadens the sound a lot, apparently. He was originally interested in one of those iPod stereo systems but I'm thinking he'd get better value out of building a 2.0 system with a T-Amp and a pair of speakers to be named.

The Sonic 2 T-Amp ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics...tainment/9c60/ ) seems to have rave reviews. Will it be loud enough for what he wants to do?

Also, any thoughts on a pair of speakers

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18277515

How high does the volume knob go? 11? Or only 10?

LOL.

That's bluesky's way of saying, "Not enough information"

Loudness is a function of the speakers AND the amp. You need to factor for both together.

But to be honest the DACs on the iPod stink. In fact they are down right #%@$!. There are a number of docks which use the iPods digital out connection instead of the analog out, and push the sound through their own DACs.

The B&W Zeplin should be more than loud enough. But you pay dearly through the nose for it.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
What are the DACs? Even cheap DACs have great performance on paper.

I would think it's the whole amp. My macbook's output jack is unpleasant I think. I don't care to listen to my macbook for long periods of time when compared to my iPod.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, sorry, I have very little information so far.

I once bought a cable for an iPod that goes directly from the dock connector to a 3.5" plug. I assume that'd help. I used it in my car for it's aux-in jack and it sounded a lot better. I forgot about that.

I talked to him and he's hoping to spend less than $200 total. So I figure ~$50 of that on the amp and the rest on a pair of speakers. I assume he's not super picky on quality.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu13es /forum/post/18284154

Will the Sonic (or another similar amp) drive two of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290013

Or should I be looking mostly at bookshelf speakers for this?

Sure, the Sonic will drive them, but .....

The Sonic is only rated at 6 watts into 8 ohms at 0.1 % THD. The Polks sensitivity is 89 dB with a 1 watt input. So yes, the Sonic will drive them but it will not drive them very loud and there is no headroom for loud passages when they occur. The Sonic amp and similar amps are primarily designed for desk top systems with small speakers where you sit very close to the speakers. It is not designed to drive large speakers, or any speaker for that matter, at room filling sound levels.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18284898

Sure, the Sonic will drive them, but .....

The Sonic is only rated at 6 watts into 8 ohms at 0.1 % THD. The Polks sensitivity is 89 dB with a 1 watt input. So yes, the Sonic will drive them but it will not drive them very loud and there is no headroom for loud passages when they occur. The Sonic amp and similar amps are primarily designed for desk top systems with small speakers where you sit very close to the speakers. It is not designed to drive large speakers, or any speaker for that matter, at room filling sound levels.

Ah. So then these T-amps are ruled out, it seems. Does that mean I'm basically going to need a set of computer speakers or HTIB if I want something for under $200? Or is there something else I'm missing?

·
Registered
548 Posts
A Sonic T-amp, when using a power supply (not batteries) will drive fairly sensitive speakers to volumes louder than most people would want to listen to for a long time. Loud enough for a party? No. Loud enough for a workout room? Maybe, but probably not if you have something noisy like a treadmill in the mix.

You need cheap power and for that you should just pick up a used receiver (craigslist, tons available at ~$40-50) or if new, a very simple stereo unit like this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=252-125

If you are by a ABC warehouse they sell similar stereo Sherwoods for even less, I think. Budget Polks can be a great deal if a Fry's is nearby, newegg has good sales from time to time also.

Or you could just get it all done in one order and get the Sherwood I listed along with four Dayton bookshelf type speakers and wall mounts all under $200. Such a setup would be fine for a workout room... but the Polks would be better if the equipment might eventually get moved to an office or something nicer.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=29361345

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare /forum/post/18285008

A Sonic T-amp, when using a power supply (not batteries) will drive fairly sensitive speakers to volumes louder than most people would want to listen to for a long time. Loud enough for a party? No. Loud enough for a workout room? Maybe, but probably not if you have something noisy like a treadmill in the mix.

You need cheap power and for that you should just pick up a used receiver (craigslist, tons available at ~$40-50) or if new, a very simple stereo unit like this one:

If you are by a ABC warehouse they sell similar stereo Sherwoods for even less, I think. Budget Polks can be a great deal if a Fry's is nearby, newegg has good sales from time to time also.

Or you could just get it all done in one order and get the Sherwood I listed along with four Dayton bookshelf type speakers and wall mounts all under $200. Such a setup would be fine for a workout room... but the Polks would be better if the equipment might eventually get moved to an office or something nicer.

Excellent suggestions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare /forum/post/18285008

Ah, great, thanks for the input. It looks like a used/cheap receiver is the way to go. Unfortunately, no ABC warehouse or Frys in the area. Would he be better off with two higher-quality speakers instead of those Daytons?

Which Polks would you recommend? I was poking around on their eBay site earlier and they seem to have a good selection of stuff between like $80 and $150/pair.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu13es /forum/post/18286069

Hm, so I'm mostly new to this, but in essence it'll either sound like crap or not be able to put out much sound (and/or both)?

It will probably sound OK at background music levels. Think Muzak.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heh, fair enough. Okay, I think he's going to try and find a receiver on CL or maybe a low end one. Thanks for your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts