AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using an old, interlaced, Sony DVP-S530D feeding my new KV-34XBR800 through component. It works fine; I use the CineMotion feature of the TV to de-interlace the picture. But I'm looking for more...;)

I'm in the market for a decent progressive Sony DVD player. I know a number of you prefer other brands, but I'd like to stick with Sony. I've got it narrowed down to the inexpensive 755 and the better, but more expensive 999. I can get the 9000 or the 900 for less, but I want the multi-channel SACD. I've read all 15 pages of the 999 thread here on the board and am willing to accept it's downsides. I notice the 755 has all the same features as the 999 and it's specs (on paper at least) are almost as good.

Here's my quandary. I can get the 755 for $199, the 999 is $1,199. That's a big difference, which I'm sure dosen't mean much to folks like yourselves, but is a bit of change to me.

With the thought that HD-DVD is a couple or three years off (and I'm sure I'll get that when it comes out), what is the consensus of the forum on the practical differences between the 755 and the 999. Is it worth the $1000 for a couple years of use? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QQQQqqqq2U's post points out a clarification I left out...

Although the 999ES is reported to have great RedBook audio, I seldom have the time to listen to CDs at home. I get maybe 1-2 hours/week to put on my music. My wife, on the other hand, listens to music constantly...on her $39 boom box. She's happy with the sound it produces, while my DA5ES with B&W speakers goes unused...go figure.

Therefore, CD audio isn't a real priority to me. The SACD is more of a novelty, but I'd like to have it just the same.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Eurastus: The 900V does support Multichannel SACD. I would consider that unit also, very good CD playback, and the multichannel SACD is better on the 900V then it is on the 755V. The only real difference is the video Dac's. It's up to you... depends on how much you pay for the 900V.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I visited the local AV retailer this afternoon and walked in just as they were setting up a new 999ES for display; they'd received their first shipment that morning. I actually cut the tape on the box as the salesman had no knife. After that, I helped him hook it up to a 40XBR800 (he was just a little clueless); I played around with it for a few minutes, and ask him how much. He came back with $1063. I ask how much for the floor model (which I had unpacked, remember)...he says $899. I walked out the door with it under my arm...Sometimes I wonder where retailers find these guys...

I'll let you know what I think after I get a chance to set it up in my system.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
976 Posts
The audio output stage of the DVP-NS755V sounds very harsh to my ears. Horrible when compared to other cd players. However, there is a simple change you can make in the audio setup menu. Just set the Audio Filter to SLOW (the default is SHARP). Sony says this digital filter's purpose is to reduce noise above the half sampling frequency. It sounds to me like some sort of roll-off filter. Anyway, the result is a smoother, warmer sound. This is supposed to work only for cd and dvd soundtracks, and not sacd. It makes the price differential between the 999ES and the 755V a very important consideration again. Otherwise, if it had a bad unfixable sound, I would have regarded the 755 as a doorstop. Now I keep it as a budget audio player.

The 755 is an entry level sacd player. At $200 or so street price, it may be a desperate attempt by Sony to increase sacd market share. With their clout, Sony has convinced Best Buy to allocate display space for these discs. (BB sells the 755 for $249, but you can use a preferred customer 10% coupon this weekend to take 25 bucks off the price, and you get a rebate coupon for 2 free dvds, such as Panic Room). So, what you have is a player that sells for one fourth the price of a 999ES. Sacd (or dvd-audio for that matter) is the single cheapest improvement the average consumer can make in their audio system. Sony/Columbia and its sacd partners have a huge software library. Whether you like Bruno Walter, Miles Davis, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Glenn Gould, there is something on this medium for you. I'm sorry I waited this long to audition it (even though for months, I have been collecting sacd's). Columbia 360 deg stereo and Great Performances series on vinyl were never much to speak of in terms of audio quality or vinyl longevity. On sacd, there is incredible dynamic range and frequency extension in the re-masterings. For instance, the Bruno Walter re-issue of Schubert's Eighth and Beethoven's Fifth symphonies. They make my Quads sound like Wilsons, that's how much bass and high frequency energy there is. The next step I'll make in sacd will probably be a several thousand dollar player. But I don't regret for one moment getting my feet wet with the 755.

Side note: Somewhere between the price of the 999ES and the 755 is an audio only player by Sony, the SCD-C555ES, at a fictitious list price of $1700 but a street price of $550. In the Stereophile Oct. 2002 issue, this is the only CD/SACD player under $1000 to make it into class A. The flagship model SCD-XA777ES lists for $3000, and can also be had for a significant discount.

News Flash: The 755 is a machine designed to a price, i.e., cheap. On some long EMI and RCA cds, it stops/gives up in the middle. This fault has caused me to decide to return the unit for a full refund. This same problem plagued the 700 model as well. The honeymoon was short. The bride goes back tomorrow. Time to go shopping for an ES model.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great 999ES side thread here. Great feedback. I owned the 755V a while before my 999ES came in (I exchanged it for the 999ES). I concur with all said. I do think the video is "better" than what I recalled from the 755V (more filmlike, settings and vibrant colors). I think on the 999ES it has a sharp and slow setting for audio, and picked slow because it said it has a "warmer" sound that way (and I electrostatic speakers so sharp would be icky)

I noted the "shimmering aritfacts" that were discussed on the big 999ES thread were also present on the 755V (in fact, that is where I first saw the shimmering blinds in ET). The sound is far superior, as QQQQqqqqu2 noted (I needed a CD player/transport and wanted to start in with SACD) plus a new DVD player as my old one died. Sounds like you got a good deal Eurastus.

I also wanted to throw in my 2 cents on pricing. I noted that a couple folks quoted the low prices on some web sellers. I almost will never order my audio components on line, and found that paying a higher price (though haggled down or beat down as Eurastus did) is actually a better deal.

I went through, oh about 5-6 DVD players (some simultaneously for comparisons) before I settled on the 999ES. My local retailer with their no interest financing and no-question return policy, was a great way to try out and compare players. Most low priced on line providers have restocking fees, which pretty much bring their price up to retail.

If you know EXACTLY what you want and trust the low cost on line vendor, then go for it. But I think it is not very professional to rifle through DVD players at your local retailer, then return them all and order it cheaper on line (some do do that, which is the "cheapest" way to evaluate and buy equipment). The relationship with a "good" sales person at a decent store is usually worth the premimum on the price.

Just my two cents. Viva 999ES!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.