AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the Sony STR-DH800 a decent amp? or should I concentrate on a dedicated stereo co. like Denon, Yamaha ect.?

main usage will be enhanced TV audio & listening to FM radio.

1.I'm concerned w/ the realtively high distrotion stat at 1%

2.also what is a on screen display used for like switching from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 ? and for other settings like speaker level power ect.? this sony dos'nt have this OSD feature

so I'm assumming I'll have to be standing close to it to observe the settings?

room is 16'X16'

so far front speakers are small Polk audio M30s w/ powered 8" sub.

I will possiabley upgrade speaker size to M50 w/ the 6.5" woofer as fronts and move the little M30s to the back.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The distortion numbers probably are there to represent power at clipping, or something along those lines, but I'd have to know more about what you're looking at. I wouldn't accept that the amplifier will clip at any output, but I wouldn't expect it (or any AVR in that price and weight class) to reach its rated power output without some limitation. I know the DH-800 was well regarded when it came out a year or two ago for its processing features, but I don't know how it fares against more modern parts (or what differences exist between it and the DH-810 or the newer Sony receivers (I think DN2020 or DN2000 is one of them, not 100% on the model name)).

It should be fine, but I'd certainly look at other parts in the same price range; perhaps something newer exists, perhaps not.

Regarding an OSD - they can do all manner of things, depending on the device; generally modern units can take advantage of them for everything you've described and in some cases much more. Without this feature you will need to use the device's front panel display, which should be no consequence for daily operation, but initial set-up may see you crawling around in front of the box for a few minutes while you configure it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after reading reviews this Sony STR-DH800 sounds like a decent AVR.

right now I'm undecided on bidding on a AVR completely on it's own not including remote and microphone. or bid on one that includes remote and microphone.

I'm leaning toward just the AVR then get a decent universal remote WR7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...120015&Tpk=wr7

and just manuelly setup the speaker size, distance ect. hopefully all the setup can be done though the front panel?

edit I think I may have timed this purchase sense the newer AVRs now have 3D HDMI (something I prefer not to pay for since I don't need 3D).

hopefully it will sound good. I do understand this model is 2 years old, not really concerned about recieving a non functioning unit I've bought stuff in the past from this seller they have a excellent rep.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You really won't be paying extra for 3D, depending on whatever you're paying for this - the newer models (I'm thinking of the DH810 specifically) didn't change SRP (or if they did, it wasn't enough to be noteworthy) and so on - this "I want to explicitly remove features because it saves money" reasoning is generally not reality.

Just to drive that point home, both the DH800 and DH810 list for $399, and I can tell you that the DH810 is selling for substantially less than the DH800 brand new; simply due to availability. Unless you're getting this used unit for majorly cheap (we're talking like $120 or less) - look at buying new, you'll be doing much better (things like warranties, standard parts, and so on; they matter). You might even look at the DN-1010, as it closes out and the price slides down. Check out Amazon, Wal-mart (yes Wal-mart), J&R, and other retailers before you commit to ebay; oftentimes you can do better or similar buying new than ebay, as ebay relies on people assuming they're getting a deal simply because its ebay (again, if we're talking $120 or less this is invalid, but let's just say that I can search the 'net too and know this probably isn't the case).

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
And for the money you can get a refurbed Marantz or Onkyo at accessories4less that will come with a waranty. Any of these are better than the Sony. Sony's for sources and leave their AVR's alone. Even their ES models have taken hits on performance. JMHO. Check out the above listed website for something in your price range.

·
Registered
29,059 Posts
Steve you can get the Denon 1611 for $287 from Electronics-Expo. Use the coupon code "springtime".

Get a receiver that has all the features you want, room calibration software and a warranty.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I'll take you'r advice under concideration actualley I would prefer a Denon.

what do you think about this sony str hd800 sounds real good on specs. and revieves.

and what do you think about obtaining one w/out the remote & mircophone

and doing setup maneually and getting a wr7 remote.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20153817

OK I'll take you'r advice under concideration actualley I would prefer a Denon.

what do you think about this sony str hd800 sounds real good on specs. and revieves.

and what do you think about obtaining one w/out the remote & mircophone

and doing setup maneually and getting a wr7 remote.

It is not in the class of the Denon 1611 by any means. Go to Audioholics.com and read the reviews for the AVR's in their respective price ranges.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert /forum/post/20146769

The distortion numbers probably are there to represent power at clipping, or something along those lines, but I'd have to know more about what you're looking at. I wouldn't accept that the amplifier will clip at any output, but I wouldn't expect it (or any AVR in that price and weight class) to reach its rated power output without some limitation. I know the DH-800 was well regarded when it came out a year or two ago for its processing features, but I don't know how it fares against more modern parts (or what differences exist between it and the DH-810 or the newer Sony receivers (I think DN2020 or DN2000 is one of them, not 100% on the model name)).

It should be fine, but I'd certainly look at other parts in the same price range; perhaps something newer exists, perhaps not.

Regarding an OSD - they can do all manner of things, depending on the device; generally modern units can take advantage of them for everything you've described and in some cases much more. Without this feature you will need to use the device's front panel display, which should be no consequence for daily operation, but initial set-up may see you crawling around in front of the box for a few minutes while you configure it.

think I'll demo the sonys display to see if I can live w/ it.

I kindof like the Samsung anynet OSD.

? when I eventualley obtain a nice AVR when I turn my sys. power on (TV and AVR) will the AVR automatically turn on each device connected w/ HDMI cables

or can I turn on individually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert /forum/post/20152006

You really won't be paying extra for 3D, depending on whatever you're paying for this - the newer models (I'm thinking of the DH810 specifically) didn't change SRP (or if they did, it wasn't enough to be noteworthy) and so on - this "I want to explicitly remove features because it saves money" reasoning is generally not reality.

Just to drive that point home, both the DH800 and DH810 list for $399, and I can tell you that the DH810 is selling for substantially less than the DH800 brand new; simply due to availability. Unless you're getting this used unit for majorly cheap (we're talking like $120 or less) - look at buying new, you'll be doing much better (things like warranties, standard parts, and so on; they matter). You might even look at the DN-1010, as it closes out and the price slides down. Check out Amazon, Wal-mart (yes Wal-mart), J&R, and other retailers before you commit to ebay; oftentimes you can do better or similar buying new than ebay, as ebay relies on people assuming they're getting a deal simply because its ebay (again, if we're talking $120 or less this is invalid, but let's just say that I can search the 'net too and know this probably isn't the case).

remember I buying w/out a remote add $25 and speaker microphone at least $40. depending on brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20152038

And for the money you can get a refurbed Marantz or Onkyo at accessories4less that will come with a waranty. Any of these are better than the Sony. Sony's for sources and leave their AVR's alone. Even their ES models have taken hits on performance. JMHO. Check out the above listed website for something in your price range.

thanks for the link can't go wronge w/ a Marantz never realy concidered them.thought they where real high end quailty. refurb. may be doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20152197

Steve you can get the Denon 1611 for $287 from Electronics-Expo. Use the coupon code "springtime".Get a receiver that has all the features you want, room calibration software and a warranty.

you know I'm waiting out the folks at Denon I want the same or better deal you got. untill I see this deal I'll browse at what's available.

what I'm presently looking at the sony will only have a 90 deal warrenty.

what do you Guys think of the Yamaha RX-V465?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The X65 series was one of Yamaha's weakest series in a very long time. The lowest X65 series I would even think of purchasing would be the 765 or above. With this model and above they had discrete amps. Not so with their lower models from that year. If you need to stay in the budget for the Sony I would still suggest one of the refurbs from accessories4less or maybe a H/K from their E-bay store. Research your choices carefully in order to make sure they will do what you want/need.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V465. remember I'm mainly wanting enhanced TV audio and listen to FM radio.

I have researched for a few weeks basically got tired.

couple of ?s

1.I have a nice RCA composite cable (w/ gold ends) can I use this for a LEF cable connected to my sub.?

edit: it won't be near any AC power.

or should I get a fancy sub cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

2.this Yamaha will not have a remote should I just get a OEM remote for setup purposes? or just get a universal type?

http://www.replacementremotes.com/YA...e-Control.html

3.I have small bookshelf speakers Polk M30s as fronts during the setup process what should they be set at large, small or either?

This AVR will not come w/ a microphono hopefully I can setup the speakers manuelly.

4.how will I know if this AVR requires a firmware upgrade? or should I just update the latest firmware before setup?

5. I have read that the cheesie speaker connections on the back only acecpt an 18AWG wire.

I have 14AWG wire what is recommended just trim down the larger 14 or get an adapter?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks Guy's for all the helpfull advice

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Well at least you got a better AVR than the Sony.

1.Your current cable should be fine

2. I would get the OEM remote because in most case a universal will need the OEM to setup properly.

3. With a sub always set to small. Get the microphone if possible. You can set up manually but that is not EQ'ing for your room.

4. There will be instructions in the manual or go to website and check there. Website will tell if there is an upgrade and give instructions on how it needs to be done.

5. I would get the proper size and keep the ones you have now for use later. Speaker wire from Monoprice is inexpensive enough by the bulk to do this.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20168465

Well at least you got a better AVR than the Sony.

1.Your current cable should be fine

2. I would get the OEM remote because in most case a universal will need the OEM to setup properly.

3. With a sub always set to small. Get the microphone if possible. You can set up manually but that is not EQ'ing for your room.

4. There will be instructions in the manual or go to website and check there. Website will tell if there is an upgrade and give instructions on how it needs to be done.

5. I would get the proper size and keep the ones you have now for use later. Speaker wire from Monoprice is inexpensive enough by the bulk to do this.

I'm seriously concidering spending the $45. for the OEM remote mainly because I only have a 14 day return policy on the AVR. I need to completely test the AVR to make sure it's 100% working.

as for #5 I cruised by the local worst buy and was able to insert AWG14 into the cheesie Yamaha spring clips and it fit w/ a little persaudtion, one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the helpfull advice

STB

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1.what can be used for a ground bar?

2.can I use my 3.5MM to 2 RCA plugs for audio out of TV

for audio in to the AVR?

3.or should I get an optical tosh link cable to feed the AVRs audio signal?

and would the optical cable have better audio quaility?

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Optical is best for TV programs in 5.1 Dolby Digital (I assume this is an HDTV)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20174917

Optical is best for TV programs in 5.1 Dolby Digital (I assume this is an HDTV)

yes I have a HDTV.

how will I know what type of connectors to get for an optical connector?

I'll read over the manule hopefully it will explain connector type.

also what do you use for a ground bar?

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20175300

yes I have a HDTV.

how will I know what type of connectors to get for an optical connector?

I'll read over the manule hopefully it will explain connector type.

also what do you use for a ground bar?

Thanks

STB

Ground bar for what? Speakers with bi-wire/bi-amp terminals? You can use speaker wire for that (just between the terminals, make sure it doesn't short the amp wiring). Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking about.

Regarding optical - you want TOSlink cables, it'll be specifically labeled as "Optical Digital Audio" or "TOSlink Digital Audio" on the packaging (or something very similar to one of those). Or is there something you're confused on there?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
No idea what you mean by ground bar.

Digital output from a TV is typically optical (TOSLINK,) as mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert
Ground bar for what? Speakers with bi-wire/bi-amp terminals? You can use speaker wire for that (just between the terminals, make sure it doesn't short the amp wiring). Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking about.

Regarding optical - you want TOSlink cables, it'll be specifically labeled as "Optical Digital Audio" or "TOSlink Digital Audio" on the packaging (or something very similar to one of those). Or is there something you're confused on there?
the ground bar I was referring to is antena related. I sometimes listen to AM radio the grn. bar will reduce signal noise.

attached image of connetion on AVR just unsure of the grn. bar. it's not a conventional earth grnd. it's like an isolated grnd.

as for the Tosh link I was thinking differnt manufactorys used differnt type and size connectors. after looking closely at the back of TV and the AVR they both appear to be a 5.0mm OD .

so this looks like it will work.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I'm also thinking the tosh link is required for a true 5.1 audio signal. I plan on plugging into AV1 (designated in manuel) ? what is the other optical link for?

my current 3.5mm to 2 RCA plugs I believe is only good for a 2 channel stereo signal?

PS I found a place I can get both the OEM remote and the speaker mircophone for just under $60. still

undecided on the universal remote and tuning speakers manuelly, because this AVR is a open box deal

and just maybe it's allready setup?

if in fact the AVR is allready setup I would prefer a more powerfull universal remoter for $20.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
No idea what you mean by ground bar.

Digital output from a TV is typically optical (TOSLINK,) as mentioned above.
I plan to use the AVR as an HDMI switch hub (connecting my 2 DVRs & DVD player to AVR)

? is there a prefered HDMI (or designated) input on the back of TV?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Are you asking about inputs? I thought you were asking about TV audio.

Normally, you would connect HDMI from receiver to TV for video. You can also can audio FROM the receiver TO the TV via HDMI, but generally you don't want to do that, except with the standbye mode, if your receiver has it (turning HDMI audio output on, in normal use, usually causes limited audio, as the source will only see two channel capability.)

For TV audio FROM the TV, you would usually run optical for if/when you wanted to use the TV's HDTV tuner.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts