AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing around with the thought of getting a FPTV I can't seem to go back to looking for a RPTV. I don't have that much money to spend, so I am looking at the cheaper projection solutions. I know the Sony 400q is discontinued, but is it possible to find these for sale, used possibly?

I was also considering the LT150 and others, but I really hate the $500 a bulb replacement costs.

------------------
HTPC Mega FAQ

·
Registered
354 Posts
A bulb replacement for the 400q is also pricey...around $350

------------------
Bill Bunker

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes, 400Q bulbs are expensive like any other LCD, DLP, etc. projectors bulbs. But used 400Qs are available for less than $1800 with a new bulb, and less than $1500 with a high mileage bulb. And this is an excellent projector for home theater (I have one). It has a good scaler, so just plug in a DVD player and you are good to go. HTPC is even better, but a pain to set up. 400Qs resolution is higher than a SVGA projector when displaying 16X9 material, and with it's delta pixels, there is NO screen door effect. Even less than DLP (I have a DL450 for comparison). Only real weakness is it's rather poor black level. It's more like gray so there is a loss of shadow detail. But all things considered, it is a great projector. IMO the best value for widescreen material.

[This message has been edited by neil525 (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
884 Posts
Richard

I have owned my 400Q for just under two years. I had 1344 hours on my first bulb which I replaced last week for $345.00. That comes out to 25 cents per hour. With that in mind it is very economical to use.

I use a HTPC with a Radeon card and am quite pleased with the image it produces.

There is one important thing to keep in mind these units come with a 3 year warranty that follows the projector from owner to owner. At $1800.00 I wouldn’t purchase unless you have at least one year left on the warranty. I have sent my unit in twice for dust removal. Now I have it mounted in a sealed hush box with a hepa filter on it . Hope this is helpful . John

Did I say I love the image at 106 in. @ 18 ft.

Sorry I only paid $345.00 not $435.00 as in original post

[This message has been edited by johnathan (edited 09-14-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.