AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
W900's have become impossible to buy new here in Montreal but the X850A is available and the price is dropping impressively. Has there been a definitive comparison between the two units? Excluding the 4K capabilities, has the X850 been found to be every bit the performer that the W900 is?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy  /t/1524573/is-the-sony-x850a-as-good-as-the-w900-when-it-comes-to-1080p-content/0_100#post_24537683

W900's have become impossible to buy new here in Montreal but the X850A is available and the price is dropping impressively. Has there been a definitive comparison between the two units? Excluding the 4K capabilities, has the X850 been found to be every bit the performer that the W900 is?

The w900a will be better for 1080p content. Also, only the w900a and x900a use quantum dot technology.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that! Weird that the x900A would use Quantum Dot but the x850A would omit it. I thought the only difference between the two units was the side-speakers and passive vs active 3d.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy  /t/1524573/is-the-sony-x850a-as-good-as-the-w900-when-it-comes-to-1080p-content#post_24538078

Thanks for that! Weird that the x900A would use Quantum Dot but the x850A would omit it. I thought the only difference between the two units was the side-speakers and passive vs active 3d.

It's easy to get confused by this issue. I haven't seen any official literature on it. The most I've read about it is in the W900A Owner's thread on page 133:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458698/official-sony-kdl-55w900a-owners-thread/3960#post_24519015

From what I can tell the triluminous displays now use a different process, also using quantum dots but in a different manner. It's not necessarily worse, and it's potentially better, or is in some way better but possibly some way worse (but not necessarily). It's not a straight answer.

As to your orig. question, a 1080 set will most accurately display 1080 content. A 4K will process and display in a 4K presentation. Whether people like the result better or worse could be a matter of opinion and results may vary as well. It's looks great to me. I kind of like having the more minuscule pixels in general, when I get up and walk past the TV to grab something to eat, or if I walk in and look at something on the screen from up close. From regular viewing distances I'd be hardpressed to tell any difference.

There are other differences as well. The W900A has the glossy OptiGlass (sp?) that will certainly brighten and sharpen the PQ and make colors pop and appear more colorful. This is definitely neat sometimes. But for me, and it's just a personal preference, the purist in me prefers the more matted screen of the X850A. When I go the cinema there is no gloss and colors are usually just more realistic vs. extreme (excepting action and comic flicks, like Avatar, Crouching Dragon or super hero flicks, etc.). Sports could be cool on a glossy screen, but my room gets a bit of light in daytime and I just prefer the more matted look for my space in general.

The W900A has lower input lag and is better for gaiming. It also has 240hz refresh rate and 960 "Motionflow" vs. 120hz and 480 on the X850A. The W900A is better there but I think the 120hz and 480 Flow suffices.

I like the more matted/metalic bezel on the W900A better than the glossy plastic one on the X850A but I don't care for the bumpout SONY logo on the W900A, but I think I might have grown to like that.

Bottom line is which is going to be best for YOU. Chances are one won't have EVERYTHING over the other but it depends which meets most of your needs better and your personal preferences.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for that, T.Man. It sounds like either set would be terrific at the end of the day. If unconverted 1080P material looks roughly no better or worse on the X850, I might try to get one if the price drops a little more. I also prefer a quality matte screen to a glossy one, but can certainly be happy with a glossy screen too. I'm also not a huge fan of the W900's rectangular logo box, but that's in no way a deal-breaker either way, given the overall quality of the set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts