AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Panasonic TH42PA20U too small for a 12' viewing distance?

The price for a 50" Plasma is kind of steep, so with my budget my choice is either a 42" Plasma or a 50" LCD Rear Projection. What should I do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
What kind of ambient lighting conditions in the room? At that distance, if budget is a factor, you might want to think about front projection. I don't hink a 42 would be too small, but it would be small.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I actually have that display at that exact distance, and I don't feel that it's too small at all... of course, my reference point is the 27" CRT that it replaced.

Do I wish it was bigger? Sometimes... but overall I think it had the right price/quality/size ratio, and the more I watch it the more I feel like it's a good size for the room.

Bottom line... I'm extremely pleased with my choice, and if I had it to do over again I'd do the same thing.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
12feet should be fine for regular analog video, but for higher quality video sources (HD or DVD) you might want to move closer to get full advantage of the higher quality picture.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Many, many people have much smaller TVs at greater distances.

While everything in this thread is true to some extent, you have to buy what you can afford.

I, incidentally, lived with a front-projection-only setup and would not recommend it for "normal" people. :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I know that this will sound stupid, but here goes:

Is it possible to move your couch/chair closer whenever you're watching the set if you find out that the distance is too far for your liking? Maybe some casters on the bottoms of your furniture to make the moving back and forth easier?

(I like to be close to my TVs. (But that's me.) About 6 feet from my 42 inch plasma and about 8 feet from my 61 inch RPTV. But as others have said in one form or another--to each his own.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the movable couch idea.

Move the couch to 10' and the 42" will fill same angle of view as a 50" at 12'.

Move it to 8', and you'll probably get better HT experience: wider apparent screen and better surround sound (assuming rears are still at back wall where couch started) Moving the couch will make the movie experience special any way.

Main reason to go bigger is for HD signals and/or UXGA for computer display.

-kt22-

Another approach: flip out the sleeper couch and lie down with your head towards the screen - please no smart comments about where you think my head is...

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use an air mattress and watch good programs lying down with head on 2 pillows at 8 feet. The immersion effect is great at that distance for a 42" plasma!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Forgot to mention this in my earlier post... I paired my 42PA20U with a Peerless articulating wall mount - one of the advantages to this mount (and similar mounts) is that I can easily pull the display another 30" or so closer for more immersive viewing when desired, bringing the viewing distance from 12' to about 9 1/2 feet...

And to another part of the original question, in my opinion the picture quality and off-axis viewing capabilities of this plasma FAR outweigh the extra picture size that a 50" RPTV would have given me... there are some that will say bigger is better, but I'll take a slightly smaller great picture over a slightly larger less-than-great picture any day. But of course that's just me... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also took ownership of the same display recently and it is in my quite small bedroom... about 8 feet at most from the plasma to the head of the bed and I find it the perfect distance!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
For regular broadcast/cable TV you will find that distance better than being closer. For higher quality material like DVDs you can sit closer. Whether it's too small for you only you can answer. If you're coming from a 27" CRT like some of us, it won't be too small. If you can sit 6' away from a 42" plasma like some do it will be too small.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Descolada
Forgot to mention this in my earlier post... I paired my 42PA20U with a Peerless articulating wall mount - one of the advantages to this mount (and similar mounts) is that I can easily pull the display another 30" or so closer for more immersive viewing when desired, bringing the viewing distance from 12' to about 9 1/2 feet...

And to another part of the original question, in my opinion the picture quality and off-axis viewing capabilities of this plasma FAR outweigh the extra picture size that a 50" RPTV would have given me... there are some that will say bigger is better, but I'll take a slightly smaller great picture over a slightly larger less-than-great picture any day. But of course that's just me... :)
Like your use of articulating mount - something I've considered but thought it would a bit distracting in use, as I prefer built-in appearance... think I'll looks at it again...

When you were looking at / rejecting RPTV, did you consider DLP units? Seems to me that the Samsung and Sony units have brightness and off-axis viewing capabilities that approach plasma (based on in-store non-serious evaluation) High res, low(er) price, no burn-in all in 16 1/2" depth (I have only about 18" to work with...)

-kt22-

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kt22

When you were looking at / rejecting RPTV, did you consider DLP units? Seems to me that the Samsung and Sony units have brightness and off-axis viewing capabilities that approach plasma (based on in-store non-serious evaluation) High res, low(er) price, no burn-in all in 16 1/2" depth (I have only about 18" to work with...)

-kt22-
I did briefly consider a DLP, mostly to be sure I didn't overlook any technologies... I never actually viewed one, but had read many posts here regarding common issues (sorry, I'd have to search for the specifics, and I'm feeling lazy!) and didn't feel DLP was a good fit for me.

Of course, there was also the edict handed down by the wife... "If we're getting a bigger screen, it's going on the wall!" :)

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kt22
Like your use of articulating mount - something I've considered but thought it would a bit distracting in use, as I prefer built-in appearance... think I'll looks at it again...

-kt22-
and some have reported to see rainbows, the horizontal axis for viewing is fine but the vertical axis is still limited. Guy I know bought the pioneer elite and doesn't like the way his SD DirectTV looks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I asked the same question a while back. I did heed the advice, and bought the Peerless PLA-1 articulating mount. I have to say though, the Plasma is flush with the wall most of the time, and that puts it about 13' away. It is fine, even when viewing Discovery HD.

When I am watching one of my movies, then I pull it out, the Plasma that is, that sounded dirty. ;) Anyways..., back to what I was saying, having about 10.5' is fine by me when watching DVD's. Since I have my center speaker mounted to my plasma underneath, I do have to rebalance the the center volume though, because the extra 30 inches makes it out of balance with the others. Minor compromises to me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was / am in the same situation. I ended up getting the TH42PA20U. I wish it were bigger (like 50"), but I'm still glad I got the TH42PA20U (which is to say, that it was not worth the extra mega-bucks to get the 50" TV, and in addition we still watch a great deal of SD programming, which looks great on the TH42PA20U, but would probably look pretty bad on a 50" HD display).

As someone else mentioned. the Peerless PLA-1 articulating mount is a really good improvement for the TH42PA20U. When I want a more "cinematic" experience, I just pull the display 30" out into the room and point it directly at out main seating position.

I'm happy with the TH42PA20U at 12+ feet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.