AVS Forum banner

Is the Traditional Recommended Luminance of 12 foot-lamberts Bright Enough for You?

• Yes - 12fl is optimal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I like my picture brighter than 12fl

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - I like my picture dimmer than 12fl

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a simple poll:

Is the ISF Recommended Luminance of 12 foot-lamberts Bright Enough for Your Tastes?

For those who need a bit of science to study before voting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-lambert

However if you aren't familiar with measured screen brightness, then use a typical movie theater (which is approximately 16fl) as a relative guide.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I can't vote, because IMO the room conditions weigh heavily in the light needs. In a light colored room (light walls & ceilings), 12 ft-l may seem too low. But in a bat cave, 12 is plenty, and maybe more than necessary.

A friend and I did a test a few years ago in my black hole of a theater using ND filters on my (then) HS20, about 1000:1 CR. We went back & forth between various light levels, and both felt that about 8 ft-l was about the dimmest we could go before image quality began to suffer. Higher light levels resulted in a reduction of perceived contrast; we both preferred the 8 ft-l level over twice that, in that room, with that PJ.

My living room setup, with light walls & such, and that same HS20 PJ, runs in the low to mid 20 ft-l range without the iris, or 12-ish with the iris on (smaller screen). Most of the time I prefer the iris off in that room, so the different environments have a big effect on the needs.

BTW, I don't go the movies that often anymore, maybe a few times a year; but I can't recall seeing a theater that had what I perceived to be anywhere near 12 ft-l. They usually seem to be about half that, at least on the big screens, which I always seek out.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I like it bright as long as it doesnt affect other aspects of the picture. There is nothing worse imo than a dim picture. 12fl and up for me, even in my bat cave.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate /forum/post/12947377

Just a simple poll:

Is the ISF Recommended Luminance of 12 foot-lamberts Bright Enough for Your Tastes?

I answered #1, though you've labeled that differently (as "optimal") than this question.

I would say my HT, which is right at 12fL owing to throw (14') and size (50x116/126 and 50x89/102), is completely adequate for movies and indeed meets-or-exceeds any commercial theater I have visited. I'm very happy with it, but I'm not a brightness freak either.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I am not sure of the motive of the poll, the simple answer is that it is bright for most bat caves and maybe not enough with high ambient lighting. If one is looking to get a PJ (new or old) that will measure out to 12 ft/L they should also consider that this will decrease as the bulb ages thus go below the "optimum" range.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This is why I wanted a bat cave (dedicated room with 100% light control) and why I'm glad I achieved my goal.

I may run the superbowl in normal mode instead of eco, but 99% of the time, I'm happy with eco, hi contrast mode in my batcave.

I don't have any way to measure fl though.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister /forum/post/12954445

I don't have any way to measure fl though.

I have a meter somewhere!!!! If only I knew where!!!

Question for anyone: the 16fL referenced is for theaters "with no film in the projector" which is clearly then the brightest it can be. How might one simulate that with a video projector ie. which test screen do we need in order to make a valid comparison the the "16fL typical"? Is there a 100IRE "flat field" on the Video Standards DVD? Guess I will look...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts