AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Loewe Calida TV which will accept a 480p signal through it's VGA port (I know, a little weird. The unit's a few years old). That's the "highest" definition signal I can use, though.

I've read that with the HDS20 you can select the format of the output signal (ie: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) and the box will up- or down-convert everything appropriately. This sounds like it should work with my equipment (assuming I can find the right cables to go work with my VGA port). Does this box really work when you select a specific output rather than letting the native flow through?

Also, I live in NYC and would not use an antenna, but would take the free HD signal running through Time Warner Digital cable. Is this box able to do this? I'm not sure how you get this signal, but I do know that many people with the RCA DTC-100 do it - something about switching it to "Antenna" but using the cable as "Ant In"...

Lastly, does anybody know how well this Panasonic STD downconverts signals? I'd like to know ahead of time, so I won't purchase something that is going to look bad.

I'm hoping that there are folks out there who can address these issues. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Believe it or not, I think you're in luck here:

I have the Panasonic. It will upconvert or downconvert as required if you choose to lock the output to a specific scan rate. 480p is one of the supported rates. It works fine, although obviously the 1080i material isn't going to look nearly as good when downconverted. The conversion circuitry is "adequate" in the sense that 480i material upconverted to 1080i looks, well, OK, but it doesn't do nearly as good a job as my Faroudja Quad, and for the price I wouldn't expect it to. Of course, you're talking about downsampling - at best, reducing the total amount of information in the picture, or in the case of upconverting 480i to p, just acting as a line doubler... which is a much simpler task.

Furthermore, the manual for the unit specifically says that if you're getting an unscrambled 8VSB digital broadcast through your cable system, that you should be able to use the Antenna input to receive those signals. So you may actually be able to get Hidef from Time Warner that way.

Of course, this is also a DirecTV box, so if you have no intention of hooking up a dish, you're probably going to be paying a lot of cash for the unused satellite functionality... but I think this will do what you want it to.

Best Regards...

------------------

Andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.