AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony KDL-40V4100. It comes with TV Guide On Screen. It does not have a cable card input. I live in Los Angeles, and have TW Cable with a Motorola HDDVR Set-top box. I have a Sony CT-100 Soundbar AV Receiver, and everything (TV, Cable box, upconverting DVD player) plugs into it via HDMI. I am currently watching TV with the cable box and not using the TV Guide On Screen. But I hate the TW Cable interface.

Can I (and if so, how) use the TV Guide On Screen with this setup? Would it along with the tuner built in to the TV replace the Cable box? Would I need a cable card to do this? Can I set the TV Guide On Screen to work through/with the TW set-top box? If I was able to do this (running coaxial directly into TV? ) would I lose my ability to see certain channels that the box is unscrambling? Would the picture become lower quality/Non hdmi quality?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
"Can I (and if so, how) use the TV Guide On Screen with this setup?"

You can't

Bottom line is if you have any premium HD channels you receive, since your TV has no cablecard slot, you have no choice but to use the STB to receive them so the built in guide on the TV won't be usable.

·
Registered
21,955 Posts
I'm not so sure Matt...

a) some cable providers do carry TVGoS info on a particular channel.

b) TVGoS is transmitted OTA, typically by a local PBS station, but not the rule.

I'd suggest that the OP hook up an antenna, check the TVGoS setup instructions in the manual and see what he is able to receive. Note: if you are successful finding a TVGoS affiliate, it will take a few hours to fully download the info and will be required to keep the antenna attached for any updates.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Still not going to do much good when you are using the HDMI input on the set and the cable box to tune channels. Sure you could flip over to the tuner in the set to look at the guide then flip back to the HDMI input to watch TV but that would probably get old after awhile.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Just because he can get the data via cable doesn't mean he'll be able to use it for the cable channel lineup. In his case, since he's using a cable box to receive encrypted content via digital cable, TVGoS on the TV itself is completely irrelevant, as it's a separate tuner that isn't being used by the setup he has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Assuming as Ratman suggests that I may be able to pick-up the TVGoS info from PBS via Cable, would the following setup work to allow me to enjoy TVGoS without having to switch back and before b/w cable box and tuner?

-Cable coaxial cable from wall directly into TV.

-TV HDMI into Cable Box

-TV HDMI into CT-100

-DVD HDMI into CT-100

The difference between this and my current setup is that now I have the Cable plugged directly into the CT-100.

Would this work? Would I lose anything by not having all HDMI inputs into the TV?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
"Assuming as Ratman suggests that I may be able to pick-up the TVGoS info from PBS via Cable, would the following setup work to allow me to enjoy TVGoS without having to switch back and before b/w cable box and tuner?"

I would assume there is no way to view the TVGoS guide data when using any input other then the built in tuner on the TV so I'm going to say no.

·
Registered
21,955 Posts
TVGoS info provide cable lineups too. Not just OTA.

If believe TVGoS info is "loaded" into the TV a stored/updated on a weekly (or daily?) basis.

As for viewing that info, check your user's guide to verify any input dependencies/restrictions.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
If the set uses an IR blaster that will control the box, he could maybe split the signal, one lead to the TV and one to the box (which is hooked to the TV through composite or HDMI), and the TVGOS will download and can be used to program recordings off of the cable box.

I don't know if it can be done with that TV and his service, but that's one possibility, at least for recording.

But yeah, he'll always have to change to the TV input to view the guide. But if he's just watching the locals, then he won't even have to bother switching back to the box, because he'll be getting those in digital HD and SD on the TV's tuner, also.

Of course, they might channel map funny, and be different from the channel numbers he has set in the guide, in order to control the box - so he won't be able to go to the guide and the channel in it and just press "enter" to get there - unless he's getting something on those channel numbers otherwise (for example, the analog or digital 480i versions), and doesn't mind watching those - which, if they're also in HD elsewhere, would be highly unlikely.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Personally I've never seen a set that can remote control a DVR via an IR blaster to schedule recordings. Looking at the jack pack on this set, there is no IR blaster hook up option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all of the help.

I called Sony and was told that for this model the TVGoS would only work if I watched cable without a cable box or OTA antenna. Customer service was phenomenal (I waited less then 2 minutes!). It really would have made more sense for Sony to either include a CableCard input on the set, or feature the TVGoS less in the instructions and marketing for the set. On the other hand, I had never really though about a CableCard before buying the set, and really just hate my Time Warner program guide, interface, and remote (so slow and clunky). I love the the TV itself and will probably invest in a universal remote and see if that makes it better.

Sony also said that in order to get the PiP and P&P functions, as well as the firmware updates to work, I will need to split my coaxial from the wall and run one end directly into the TV and the other into the STB. I wonder how that will work.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
I think it's pretty rare these days to even find a set with a CableCARD slot in it. At least a recent model.

TiVo or a no-fee Sony DHG-HDD500/250 can accept a CableCARD.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Once "Tru2Way"/OCAP hits later this year, there may be a resurgence in CableCARD-equipped TVs, but yeah, for now, it seems most makers have just decided it's not worth it - too trouble-prone, requires too much interaction to set up, no SDV, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts