AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off is the UTV HDD Upgrade procedure still working? Secondly, is there a final concensus on 5400rpm vs 7200rpm?

·
Registered
96 Posts
as of yesterday, yes it does. I have heard of people using both. 5400 makes less heat.

See here

:D

·
Registered
248 Posts
I did an upgrade on Thursday with a WD800BB hard disk with absolutely no problem.

I have one unit with a WD1200AB (120GB 5400rpm) and a WD800BB (80GB 7200rpm) and notice no difference in performance.

·
Registered
124 Posts
As of this morning it works. I just upgraded mine with a WD 120GB 7200 RPM Drive. Worked fine, although the software download was larger than I had read about in previous posts.

I also was able to successfully reclaim the old drive using the procedure described in this forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it still up? I've been trying all day and have not had any luck. I am replacing the 120 gig that is in the machine, with the same 120 gig HD (don't ask why) and that won't take. To test it I tried putting in the origional 40 gig and it isn't taking either. I'm not sure if it's just a problem with the phone lines here at my office or if it's something else. So has it worked for anyone else lately?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Christobol
Is it still up? I've been trying all day and have not had any luck. I am replacing the 120 gig that is in the machine, with the same 120 gig HD (don't ask why) and that won't take. To test it I tried putting in the origional 40 gig and it isn't taking either. I'm not sure if it's just a problem with the phone lines here at my office or if it's something else. So has it worked for anyone else lately?
If you have a digital phone line at your office, it won't work. What I would recommend doing is using the phone line that feeds your fax machine and see if that works.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Also, have you made sure if your office requires special dial out #s... (like 9) You should be able to change this in dial options...

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you let the new hard drive zero out (light show) for about an hour and a half? If not, when dialing in you will get an error with your receiver and tell you to send it in for repair message. The UTV box must marry to the new hard drive first.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If your office has digital phone lines, I've been told that trying to hook up an analog modem to it (i.e. UTV) will likely damage the modem. You need a regular analog line. as someone else mentioned, the fax line will probably work.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by micheldb
If your office has digital phone lines, I've been told that trying to hook up an analog modem to it (i.e. UTV) will likely damage the modem. You need a regular analog line. as someone else mentioned, the fax line will probably work.

Good luck,

Mike
I'm the IT Manager so I'm sure I know what I'm doing. I am not hooking up a digital line to the UTV, and I don' t have to dial 9. I've tried using both a copper hard wired line, and an analog line coming from a channel bank off a T1. I've tested the polarity so I'm sure that isn't the problem (yes phone lines do have polarity).

I tested the system at my house and it connected to MSN, and stayed connected for 45 minutes. I disconnected the HD because I didn't want to erase my system info yet. I simply wanted to check to make sure that everything was up and running. Is the system supposed to stayed connected while it's formating the drive?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey again,

from your first message, it sounds like you are trying to "reformat" your 120GB (i.e. re-download the UTV software to it). I think for that to work you'll probably need to put in the original drive (or any other drive) and let that one take the update completely (i.e. do the full download) and once that's done, you'll be able to re-swap for the 120GB and redo it with that one. Until the UTV thinks the drive has changed, it won't re-install the software on the drive (even forcing the download with the 8675309 won't work because, although it will download the software from the phone line, if the version hasn't changed, it will not update the HD.

You mentioned that you did try it with the original drive and that didn't work. What did it do? Could it simply be a jumper issue?

Good luck,

Mike

p.s. I didn't mean to suggest that you didn't know about the digital lines (I don't really know anything about them myself), I was just mentioning it in case you didn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.