AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just found out today that my extended warrenty company is going to refund me my price for my Sony STR-DG1000 receiver that I took in to get the zone 2 fixed. I loved that receiver, but alas I need a new one. I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V1900 as a replacement. Would this be a good receiver for my speakers. My setup is listed below. Now, if my system sucks please say so rather than posting. Thanks for all your help and I will not be pissed for any negative feedback. All feedback helps.

Sony KDF-55E2000 TV,

Sony STR-DG1000 Receiver,

Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray Disc Player,

Monster HTS 3600,

Logitech Harmony 880 (Remote)

Polk RT600i (fronts), Polk PSW-350, Cerwin Vega LS-6C (Center), Paradigm Atom (Rear)

Thanks!

Chip

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I see no reason why the 1900 would not work well for you. I have the 3900, and the amp section seems to be identical.

Some people worry about bright speakers matched with bright receivers, but that's a big unknown. Audio is subjective for one thing.

I would guess you will be happy, but I can't know for sure
Some people seem to dislike some receivers, but it's not clear why.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local Ultimate Electronics has the Denon 3808Ci for $809 as a display Model. He was telling me that this is a better receiver than the Yammy 1900 and at this price a better deal than the Yammy 3900. Please let me know your thoughts ASAP!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, IMO seems like you are sinking a lot of dough into an AVR rather than focusing on what makes the biggest impact - speakers. Not saying either AVR isnt a good unit but it does seem overkill UNLESS there are specific features that these AVRs have that you feel you need. Are there?

If I were you I would spend $500 on an AVR (assuming it meets your feature needs) and take the extra money and get the matching center to your mains. If you need to raise more funds, dump the monster surge protector and get a $25 one at a hardware store. It wont improve your SQ.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It's a great receiver and they already have what seem to be ok speakers. Or did I miss something!

For the record, I don't bother to timbre match my speakers. Way too expensive. I have upgraded my L/R speakers a number of times, because I like music, and wanted to try different things. I have had the same center speaker for over five years.

Yeah, it sounds a bit different then the mains when you run the speaker tests, but it's fine for movies.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You did not miss a thing. It is a great AVR and until we know room dimensions and listening habits etc none of us can really say what he needs. So I asked if there were any particular features he needed, recommended that he get a matching center and perhaps if cash straped dump the monster unit.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I thought we knew that he needed a new receiver no matter what

If someone says, I have X$ to spend, on AV gear, what should I buy, that's one thing. But when someone says, I need to replace my receiver, what do you think about this one, I don't usually start wondering if they should start changing out speakers. I think I see where you are coming from though

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
He needs a new AVR. I knew that. Does he need an $800 AVR is my question? He might think that the SQ is better with a more expensive AVR. I was letting him know there might be better places to invest his dough. Obviously room treatments would be an area. Matching the center etc...

Again, without knowing the features he needs, listening habits its tought to make any determinations. I can only comment on what I know and the OP did ask for candid comments.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love all of this discussion. Too bad our politics in the US will never be this civilized.

I agree with both of you. I really did not give enough info, so I apologize. Here is the setup:

Room is approximately 16' x 24' with vaulted cielings. the TV, fronts are on one of the 24' long walls centered the sub is to the left of the lt front speaker. The center is above the tv and angled down to the listening area. The rears are about 2' beyond the couch which the back is at the 16' dimension. Also, the whole first level of my house is vaulted. From the room as stated before through the kitchen, it is like one huge room.

I agree, my center is not "matched" I must have been smoking crack when I bought it, but I wanted a dual 6.5" woofer center with a dome tweeter for the center channel. The polks I was looking at were only dual 5.25". I should have bought a matched speaker at that time, but I bought the system over time, upgraded, etc.

This setup is only to hold me over until I build a "real" HT in my basement, then I will do it right with seperate AMPS, great speakers, projector, etc.

Now, I know the Monster 3600 was expensive, but again that is for protection for the TV and again future use in the HT room. It, at least, gives me piece of mind.

Furthermore, I totatally appreciate all the advice that you are giving.

Reaslistically, onve I get the $$ from the insurance company this reciever will only cost me &809-$529 = $280. Some features that I wanted:

At least better than 0.09% THD

I needed at least one power plug on the back

The network connection was wanted, but not needed.

IPOD connectivity

More than 110w/ch

It also needed multizone with at least 1 other zone.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz /forum/post/16882260

This setup is only to hold me over until I build a "real" HT in my basement, then I will do it right with seperate AMPS, great speakers, projector, etc.

At least better than 0.09% THD

Hopefully this helps.

Two questions:

1. Why do you feel seperate amps give you "real" HT?

2. What about having better .09 THD is important?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
One thing to know about THD. The people who determine amplifier power can sort of decide where on the power / distortion curve they want to measure. They can measure to get higher power with more distortion and vice versa.

So two amps might have the same distortion when measured a certain way. But then the amp maker wants to hit a certain power rating. Which gives you higher THD numbers. So I don't know how much weight you should give THD.

When an amp maker shows high THD, like over 1%, mentally reduce the power specs. .09 is pushing it, that might have measured with slight clipping. I am guessing here.

Audioholics has a good article on power measurements which covers this topic.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have always thought that seperate amps are the "real" way to do it. Maybe it is just me, but I thought that if you buy good seperates they will always sound better than an AV reciever since you are not having to buy one item that does a lot of things, vs one item that does one thing. Do you catch my drift? THe new AV receivers have to do video, sound, sound processing, etc. With seperate amps for each channel you buy a good processing receiver and let that process the sound and let the amps magnify the signal. Same with speakers. Why by a bose system that has to play the sound and process, etc. Other than for ease of use, I would not want to do that. Plus, I love tinkering with that stuff, so it would be fun for me too.

With THD, I guess that I am just a sucker for advertising. At least when it comes to audio equipment. I thought lower THD makes for better clean sound. The higher the number the lower the quality. I did know that when it comes to wattage that is pretty arbitrary, but just still a sucker none the less. I wish I had the time to learn all of this stuff that you guys know. I bet I could teach you all about designing highways and such, which is what I do.

I am not sure what you think, but I think that this new setup with the Denon 3808ci I should have a better sounding setup than the Sony STR-DG1000. I know I heard a huge increase from my STR-DE845 I had prior to the 1000.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Well, not to rehash the daily debate, but no one has ever prove separate amp superiority in a controlled listening test.

Ignoring that for a moment, I did hook up a Mackie FR-800 pro amp to my 2700. I heard no difference. It seemed like I could play music a little louder. You know how when you turn up a receiver past a certain point, the sound gets worse? Well, with the Mackie, I think, I could turn it up a bit higher. That's expected, as the Mackie was a 200x2 watt amp

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz /forum/post/16882564

I have always thought that seperate amps are the "real" way to do it.

I thought that if you buy good seperates they will always sound better than an AV reciever

With THD, I guess that I am just a sucker for advertising.At least when it comes to audio equipment.

I thought lower THD makes for better clean sound. The higher the number the lower the quality.

Not necessarily

Nope

Sorta

Not really

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Whether separates sound better than an AVR will never be proven. It's debated weekly by pretty educated and intelligent people on both sides of the debate.

At best you could take an AVR and a separates system and compare them under blind testing conditions. Of course this HAS been done. And I everytime I read about such a test, it's inconclusive. There's an ongoing thread about this general idea right now, related to a "high end" system compared to a low end system (the low end system does use a power amp.) Give it a look (the test, not the thread
. You might find it interesting if nothing else.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1161048 (test is linked in the first post)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are the best, and have probably saved me thousands of dollars in the future. This is some good info and I appreciate it.

I should have the new receiver set up tonight. I will post my feelings on it then. Other than that do you guys have any comments on the upgrade from the STR-DG1000 to the Denon 3808ci?

What about speakers. What are the "best" brand going now, say at mid cost levels, i.e. good speaker at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There should be a thread devoted to that Denon, or a comparable model. I know Yamaha, not Denon which is why I posted so much to this thread. Specifically I own the 3900, so I can speak directly about the 1900

Speakers are subjective, IMO. They involve compromises where price, efficiency, power handling, and bass extension are traded off amongst each other to name a few factors

There's a speaker forum for speakers where you can probably get more info than in this forum

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For what it is worth, the salesman told me for the money, straight up he said that the 3900 was a better unit than the Denon 3808ci. He said that the Denon 3808ci is the direct competitor to the 3900. Now vs. the 1900 which is what I asked him about he said that the 3808ci would be a much better deal at $809 again since it directly competes with the 3900. and is about $400 less than what the 1900 was selling at $1299. So with the 5yr warrently plan $909 for the Denon 3808ci.

I have never owned a Denon so we will see. I hope that all will be ok.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, This reciever is really a good upgrade from what I have had in the past. The surround sound is awesome and great in music too. I love the on-screen display and especially the volume indicater. Zone 2 functionality is great also. So far IMHO it was a good purchase.

Thanks for all of you that contributed to this thread!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts