AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, so after 4 years of having my fat 60gb PS3, it crashed yesterday so i restarted and it didnt turn on and since then its just flashing a red light,

as soon as u press the power button it lights green and after a second it turns to like yellow for a second and then a flashing red light.

I know a guy who says he can fix it for $45, now , is this problem fixable? he says he'll give me a 30 day warrenty, but i mean, is the problem fixable or will it work for a few weeks and then just flash red again?

i dont want to jump through hoops for nothing if it will happen again in a month or so, i just want to know if anyone got their ps3 fixed and if it stays fixed?

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/20863914

hey all, so after 4 years of having my fat 60gb PS3, it crashed yesterday so i restarted and it didnt turn on and since then its just flashing a red light,

as soon as u press the power button it lights green and after a second it turns to like yellow for a second and then a flashing red light.

I know a guy who says he can fix it for $45, now , is this problem fixable? he says he'll give me a 30 day warrenty, but i mean, is the problem fixable or will it work for a few weeks and then just flash red again?

i dont want to jump through hoops for nothing if it will happen again in a month or so, i just want to know if anyone got their ps3 fixed and if it stays fixed?

A YLOD is usually not repairable unless you Reball the RSX Graphics Chip in the fatties. That guy is probably offering you what we call a Reflow which is a quick temporary fix. It does not really work and will just fry again within a few weeks or days. Your best bet is to buy yourself a Slim unless you like backwards compatibility, in which case you should look up a website called Gophermods. They Reball old ps3's for about 150 and give you a 1 year warranty.

You see YLODs happen because of weak solder they use to connect the Graphics chip to the motherboard. It's lead free and cannot withstand the heat. When a company reballs it, they replace the lead free solder with lead solder which can withstand the heat put out by the first generation ps3. A Reflow is a waste of money unless you plan to backup your fat before transferring the data over.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo /forum/post/20863981

A YLOD is usually not repairable unless you Reball the RSX Graphics Chip in the fatties. That guy is probably offering you what we call a Reflow which is a quick temporary fix. It does not really work and will just fry again within a few weeks or days. Your best bet is to buy yourself a Slim unless you like backwards compatibility, in which case you should look up a website called Gophermods. They Reball old ps3's for about 150 and give you a 1 year warranty.

You see YLODs happen because of weak solder they use to connect the Graphics chip to the motherboard. It's lead free and cannot withstand the heat. When a company reballs it, they replace the lead free solder with lead solder which can withstand the heat put out by the first generation ps3. A Reflow is a waste of money unless you plan to backup your fat before transferring the data over.

There's no proof a reball is a long term fix, nor do they bother reballing the CELL. Plus, the rest of the mobo continues to keep it's tin-silver solder, so there's no guarantee. Personally, I'm guessing a slightly better fix than a reflow, but not much better than that.

Ultimately, the issue is the solder in conjunction with a horrible heat dissipation design. .. and since most of the solder remains....

lamonsasa, read my topic below. It's pretty easy to do a reflow yourself for about $30. The problem is it's still a ticking time bomb. It could be days until it happens again, or it could be years. Best bet is to reflow itgrab you save games / back up the HDD and trade it in for credit towards a slim.

Reballing it makes little sense due to the price of the service. Mise well just take Sony up on their refurb offer if you want a phat back.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/20864590

There's no proof a reball is a long term fix, nor do they bother reballing the CELL. Plus, the rest of the mobo continues to keep it's tin-silver solder, so there's no guarantee. Personally, I'm guessing a slightly better fix than a reflow, but not much better than that.

Ultimately, the issue is the solder in conjunction with a horrible heat dissipation design. .. and since most of the solder remains....

lamonsasa, read my topic below. It's pretty easy to do a reflow yourself for about $30. The problem is it's still a ticking time bomb. It could be days until it happens again, or it could be years. Best bet is to reflow itgrab you save games / back up the HDD and trade it in for credit towards a slim.

Reballing it makes little sense due to the price of the service. Mise well just take Sony up on their refurb offer if you want a phat back.

So far it's pretty much only been the RSX that has had problems with heat. I've yet to hear of the Cell being the culprit. Reputable companies that reball focus on the GFX and have had a greater than 80% success rate with RSX reballs. I agree the price of a reball is expensive, but can be worth it for BC and a longer warranty than sony would offer on refurb.

Gophermods has had great successes with reballs to a point where the waiting list to get a reball is outrageously long. I'd rather take a chance on a reball with a 1 year warranty than a refurb with a 90 day warranty.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Honestly with PS3 down to $250 - just go buy a new one. Here's what I would do:

1. Go buy a new slim.

2. Pay buddy $45 to reflow your old one.

3. Transfer the data from your old unit to your new one.

4. Say good bye to your old baby - 4 years is a pretty good run.

You'll be happy with your new slim. Initially I liked the look of the old ones better but the slims are nicer and 10X quieter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.