AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
One-Man Content Creator
Joined
·
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16958321


Anyone know if this exist?

I think there are several, but I only follow the OPPO closely. It has two USB ports which will accept externally powered hard drives. They must be formatted FAT16 or FAT32, which limits individual files to 4GB.


-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,548 Posts
The LG 370 and JVC BP1 allow USB drives for MKV and DIVX playback with the same FAT32/4gb-file limitation. The only player I know of that offers NTFS support and allows file sizes over 4gb is the LG390. You may want to just look for a BD player that fits your needs and buy something like the WDTV HD separately for file playback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16963207


What is "WDTV HD"?

It's a media player that you connect USB drives (flash or hard-drive) to playback media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16963207


Can the LG390 play any size of file or is that limited too?

From the second sentence of my response above... "The only player I know of that offers NTFS support and allows file sizes over 4gb is the LG390."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16963224


It's a media player that you connect USB drives (flash or hard-drive) to playback media.




From the second sentence of my response above... "The only player I know of that offers NTFS support and allows file sizes over 4gb is the LG390."


So If I hooked up an external hard drive with some of my Blu-Ray movies on it to an WDTV HD, would I still get DTS-Master and so on?


Perhaps the LG390 is what I'm looking for if it can play large files from a hard drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,548 Posts
The WDTV HD is HDMI 1.2 and doesn't support bitstreaming of TrueHD or DTS-MA. It will read TS and M2TS, as well as h.264 in various containers.


As for the LG 390, I know it will handle h.264 MKV and MP4, but I'm not sure if it supports TS or M2TS and/or TrueHD and DTS-MA in these containers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16963450


The WDTV HD is HDMI 1.2 and doesn't support bitstreaming of TrueHD or DTS-MA. It will read TS and M2TS, as well as h.264 in various containers.


As for the LG 390, I know it will handle h.264 MKV and MP4, but I'm not sure if it supports TS or M2TS and/or TrueHD and DTS-MA in these containers.

Thx alot for the help Stephen. I'll do some sniffing around and see if I can find out about the LG390. The WDTV HD is off the list as TrueHD and DTS-MA is a must since my Onkyo 806 should be arriving next week
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm..tough call on the LG390. It obviously can play DTS-MA and True-HD with the Blu-Ray discs but can't find any info on if it can play them from something hooked up with usb. Does anyone here actually have one of these players?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,548 Posts
You may want to do some research on the benefit of the lossless codecs before you buy in to their superiority. My in-home comparisons have shown little-if-any real-world difference. The WDTV HD for $85 (refurbished, ecost) is an amazing value for what it does, and opens you up to BD players with better performance at lower prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16963579


You may want to do some research on the benefit of the lossless codecs before you buy in to their superiority. My in-home comparisons have shown little-if-any real-world difference. The WDTV HD for $85 (refurbished, ecost) is an amazing value for what it does, and opens you up to BD players with better performance at lower prices.

crap!..are you telling me in your comparisions DTS-MA was not much different than regular DTS? I thought I was upgrading my H/K 635 but maybe it's not much of an upgrade after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,548 Posts
It's definitely not a night and day difference... in the rare instances I could hear a difference, it was EXTREMELY subtle. I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg just for that support, especially if you're ripping media you have on-hand anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again thx alot for your help Stephen, perhaps I should look down a different path now under the circumstances. I got a smokin deal on the amp so I gues no biggie there, I think I'm more dissapointed in finding out the info on DTS-MA as I thought it was going to be a major difference. Oh well at least I found out now. Your help here is big time appreciated
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top