AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all.

The PS3 seems to be the only device I've seen that will do this. I have an old amp with only Dolby Digital (AC3) decoding and NO analog pre-inputs sadly. I don't like using a PS3 for watching BD's but I hate how none of the new BD's offer a basic English 5.1 DD/AC3 soundtrack - its all DTS or DD TrueHD, etc. So I'm forced to listen to a 2 channel down mix from the player.

If no BD players are capable of doing this, what are other options besides upgrading my amp?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin96  /t/1438071/is-there-a-bd-player-tha...-on-discs-besides-the-ps3/0_100#post_22567294

The title says it all.

The PS3 seems to be the only device I've seen that will do this. I have an old amp with only Dolby Digital (AC3) decoding and NO analog pre-inputs sadly. I don't like using a PS3 for watching BD's but I hate how none of the new BD's offer a basic English 5.1 DD/AC3 soundtrack - its all DTS or DD TrueHD, etc. So I'm forced to listen to a 2 channel down mix from the player.

If no BD players are capable of doing this, what are other options besides upgrading my amp?

I believe a Dolby TrueHD track will result in multi-channel lossy dolby digital audio in your circumstance.

But DTS is a problem for you if no lossy DTS decoding is available in your receiver.

I expect lossless multi-channel pcm is an issue also.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
An old Philips and some Samsung models (inc. the D-5500, D-6700) can re-encode other formats to DD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts