AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a projector by the weekend. I currently have a 7 year old sony 47" rear projection, definitely outdated and the picture keeps getting worse. So i decided on a projector, I have searched and searched and it seems the best i can get is the optoma hd65 for around $520 new. However this projector is now 2 years old , is there anything new in this price range that beats it? With the hd 65 i will have a 95-105" screen. viewing distance around 10-12 feet. Sources are hd cable, xbox 360, and ps3. I already have polk audio audio system i put together and will be building a diy fixed screen. My only prior projector experience is playing 360 on a toshiba dlp business projector a buddy used to have set up. At the time i thought that was really nice , but the hd65 should blow it away. My only other option for the money is a 42" vizio 1080p led for 599 at costco., but i think i would be happier with the projector even if it is not as "practical" . any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
As long as you can control the light if you want to use the PJ during the day, then all is well.

Can you buy the HD65 from a reputable place for that price? There are a few places selling this model that I would not buy from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was from projector central. However i just found this one on auction and its close enough to buy and pick up in person. i wouldn't consider shipping a used projector due to potential shipping damage hassles, but if i could get this under 500 it may be worth it. it has 50 hours on it. would anyone consider a used pj when a new one is 200 more? i can control light,sliding door in living room with full length curtains are pretty dark, but can get blackout curtains if necessary

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertown88 /forum/post/19617583

it was from projector central. However i just found this one on auction and its close enough to buy and pick up in person. i wouldn't consider shipping a used projector due to potential shipping damage hassles, but if i could get this under 500 it may be worth it. it has 50 hours on it. would anyone consider a used pj when a new one is 200 more? i can control light,sliding door in living room with full length curtains are pretty dark, but can get blackout curtains if necessary

I owned the HD65 for 1.5 years and its an awesome projector. Even with my pot lights on the picture was great, excellent buy as Optoma is solid manufacturer

enjoy

·
Registered
329 Posts
HD65 is a great PJ I had one but had to get rid of it because it was just way too loud for me. I live in a high altitude place the PJ would automatically go into high altitude mode. So if you don't live in a place that 4000 ft+ then you should be fine.. For the $100 you can get the Acer H5360 that comes with a brand new bulb, warranty, brighter and can do 3d with a PC..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just won the used hd65 on ebay. it has under 50 hours, just a few months old. got it for $425 , cheapest i could find new , not refurb, was $599. so the used was a pretty good value at $175 cheaper, that enough to buy another bulb. i will update later with screenshots, etc, plan on starting the screen as soon as i get the pj mounted. thanks everyone for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts