AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using the Wineguard version of the CM4221 antenna (4 bay array) and have two problems

1) some of the local channels I can lock onto are occasionally a little weak and drift off-lock

2) I'd like to be able to pick up some LA programming (~70 miles away) which is showing up at about a 15-20 signal on my Sony HD100. Would a change to the CM4228 (the 8 bay version of my antenna) likely make a big difference in received signal - is there a simple linear relationship beween surface area and signal? I'm trying to avoid one of the gargantuan antenna's such as the 4251.

Thanks for any suggestions.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
It's the number of di-poles. Since you plan to double the number of di-poles (4 to 8) you will pick up 3dB of gain, minus some losses. Overall, you should pick up around 2.5 dB of gain. The antenna will also be more directional. You should check the channelmaster WEB site.

70 miles is pretty far for UHF, and reception can be very iffy depending on atmospheric conditions, sunspots, antenna height.

SM

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I assume you have the winegard 4400. Just fyi, the Channel Master versions have a back screen which dramataclly improves the antennas Front/Back ratio, which helps in reducing reducing multipath interference from rear refelcting surfaces.

In the 8 bay versions, the CM4228 F/B ratio is around 10db better than the winegard 8800 (8 bay version of 4400).

I'm not sure if you're losing local channels because of multipath or lack of signal. If its multipath, even a 4221 might help. The downside of the CM4228 is that its not UPS shippable, so you need to find a local supplier.

I heard the 4251 was discontinued?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated. The Parascope - 4251 was discontinued but seems to be still available from here: http://www.lnl.com/cgi-bin/tame.cgi/lnl/shop.tam

But I have absolutely nowhere to be able to errect this.

Amazingly I can get quite a strong signal from KCBS in LA, but it's not reliable. Based on what you guys have suggested, I will probably get a 4228 from Warren, who can ship it Fedex saver. If anyone knows of a San Diego stockist I'd be interested to know (Fry's unfortunately has a lousy in-stock selection).

Thanks again

------------------

[This message has been edited by HiDefGuy (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jimg:
Good news... The new model CM4228A is shippable, and will be arriving shortly at ...
What is the difference between the 4228 and 4228A? Is the "A" version cut in the middle?

------------------

·
Registered
734 Posts
On the Channel Master web site, they list the Model 4221/3021. The specs for both of these are identical as well as the pictures. I contacted them to find out what the difference was and they explained that they are the same antenna except that the 4221 is shipped two to a box for distributors.

So it's really just the 3021.

I have some pictures of a 3021 mounted in my attic on a CM 9521 rotator in a post at The Home Theater Spot!:
http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...&f=55&t=000188

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 08-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If getting a 4228 is a problem. You can just use two 4221's in a horizontal array because that is exactly what the 4228 is, except it uses a one piece screen. It could also be a way to upgrade from a 4221 to a 4228.

Just to let you know, the 4248 is much better for long distance. And it weighs less than half of the 4228.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
Just to let you know, the 4248 is much better for long distance. And it weighs less than half of the 4228.
Thanks Glenn, I'll try the 4248. I was lucky and found a local antenna place that had a 4228 in stock (for some reason San Diego has very few stores stocking CM products). Amazingly, the 4228 8 bay pulls in less signal from Los Angeles than the 4 bay wineguard I was using. Does anyone know what the CM3020 is like at pulling in distant signals?

------------------

[This message has been edited by HiDefGuy (edited 08-22-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.